User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4HA/Atlas axle hybrid, thoughts please..................

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

4HA/Atlas axle hybrid, thoughts please..................

Hi all, some will know that I am currently building a Rover SD1 stage rally car..............

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthre...tage-rally-car

And I am now moving onto the axle. I originally was going to use the standard set up, then got reading about the works cars, and they ran a 4HA, so I have modified the shell, and I now have several axles, trouble is, even though these axles are the wider type from a Mk2 Jag, they are still not wide enough, and using them as is would mean fairly wide spacers, something I don't wanna do. So I am widening the axle, making her thick tube and Fully floating at the same time, but here is the query.............

I have sourced the tubing that I will get machined to fit in the pigs head, and at the other end of the tubes, I will have them machined to fit Atlas F/F stub axles, then I will use all the hub hardware from a F/F atlas, which is much more accessable than any 4HA bits nowadays, the main bug bear will be the shafts, which I will probably have to have specially made as the 4HA diff unit has 19 tooth shafts.

Advantages I can see are, as stated above, bits are available "Off the shelf" (except shafts of course), I can go back to Ford pattern, 4 stud wheels which opens up a whole world of wheel possibilities, and it will be very strong.

I just want you guys to tell me if you can see any disadvantages.

I know what you are thinking, why not just use an Atlas anyway, well, I have got an abundance of 4HA parts now, a good selection of CWP's, a couple of LSD units etc, so I am kinda utilising what I have, and also, it keeps a sniff of originality about the car.

Looking forward to your thoughts................................
    Last edited by Sunbmw; 23-08-2011 at 10:45.
    I fear understeer...

Racer Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Moderator

Thanks

Re: 4HA/Atlas axle hybrid, thoughts please..................

Just so happens, I have these shafts on the shelf; Salisbury 4HA inner end and FF atlas outer end... Quite a common conversion!

Give me a call sometime and I'll talk you through the job...

cheers
    Tom

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: 4HA/Atlas axle hybrid, thoughts please..................

Many thanks Tom. I was gonna call and price up the bits from you anyway, brilliant! Speak soon, Lee.
    I fear understeer...

+ Reply to Thread