User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearbox tail shaft?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Gearbox tail shaft?

With regards to a type 9 gearbox, is there any play in the tail shaft, ie, can it be moved up/down/left or right very slightly?

I have a new to me Quaife box, since fitment the tail shaft has leaked, I changed the seal for a genuine Ford, still leaked. My thoughts then went to the prop shaft, it’s new but thinking maybe the shafts are slightly thinner but no.
    Then while at the mot station the guy grabbed the prop shaft and “waggled” it. So now I’m thinking this is the reason for the leak?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Gearbox tail shaft?

The prop yoke should have a bit of play on the output splines but not so much as you'd notice - the oil seal should accommodate the 'slop.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I did think so but this seems to be a little more than I’d imagine, going to send to Quaife for a rebuild as it’s leaking oil too, not impressed with Quaife tbh but need the 5th gear changing too, and other re-builders want to fit their own gears.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

You are not the only one that's not impressed with Quaife, I would think over half the Motorsport population would agree with you.

If I were you the first thing to do would be get the propshaft size checked with a micrometer to see that it's within tolerance where it slides into the gearbox. Make sure the person that rebuilds your gearbox is aware of your problem as replacing the tailshaft bush is often overlooked. The rear oil seal is there for one purpose only and that's to stop oil leaking out and shit going in.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I do hear this about Quaife but really miffed that you pay a few grand to get sub-standard item. It hurts going to another builder and paying twice.
    My thinking is maybe asking another builder what they can do, one company did say if I purchased the gear off Quaife they would re-build it as I’m an existing customer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
    I do hear this about Quaife but really miffed that you pay a few grand to get sub-standard item. It hurts going to another builder and paying twice.
    My thinking is maybe asking another builder what they can do, one company did say if I purchased the gear off Quaife they would re-build it as I’m an existing customer.
    As a point of interest why are you wanting to change fifth gear, damage or to change ratios? Have you tried sliding your propshaft into another gearbox to see if the slide is undersize? It should be correct if its a new prop but you can never assume. Where are you buying your parts MS Tools? The things I have had off them have always been okay.

Quaife seem to have cornered the market now since they acquired Tran X so they can now ride rough shot over us all. Their prices also seem to have gone sky high.

The only other company I know that do that sort of stuff is 3J Driveline but I have never dealt with them.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted because it must feel like you had your pants pulled down by someone.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    As a point of interest why are you wanting to change fifth gear, damage or to change ratios? Have you tried sliding your propshaft into another gearbox to see if the slide is undersize? It should be correct if its a new prop but you can never assume. Where are you buying your parts MS Tools? The things I have had off them have always been okay.

Quaife seem to have cornered the market now since they acquired Tran X so they can now ride rough shot over us all. Their prices also seem to have gone sky high.

The only other company I know that do that sort of stuff is 3J Driveline but I have never dealt with them.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted because it must feel like you had your pants pulled down by someone.

When I had it built I chose the 0.93 5th gear ratio, it’s way too short, probably only drops 200rpm so wanting to change to an 0.83 or something similar.
    Yes, new prop from MST who assured me it’s from a British supplier and not from RD.

That’s the guys, 3J. Purchased my English LSD with HD halfshafts, fantastic service and product, I have only praise for them, so certainly going to them to rebuild the box.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waverunner View Post
    When I had it built I chose the 0.93 5th gear ratio, it’s way too short, probably only drops 200rpm so wanting to change to an 0.83 or something similar.
    Yes, new prop from MST who assured me it’s from a British supplier and not from RD.

That’s the guys, 3J. Purchased my English LSD with HD halfshafts, fantastic service and product, I have only praise for them, so certainly going to them to rebuild the box.
    I can't for the life of me think why some of these so called gear makers would want to put a 0.93 fifth gear ratio in a car gearbox. I found 0.87 was ideal for a competition car, it was the same step as changing the diff ratio from 5.1 to 4.6 in direct top if you see what I mean.

All the best with 3J, I am sure they'll look after you unlike the other company mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread