User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brakes

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Brakes

Hello all, couple of questions, I have a South African import mk2 1600 sport which I am going to be getting back onto the road. I’ve not looked at the brakes at all so not sure what I am dealing with really but my intention was just to replace the lot anyway. I’ve done a little bit of research but can’t quite decide what to go for. Budget is fairly tight so was looking to get vented discs and associated callipers and a half decent set of pads. Like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261809297830. Would this be a bolt on mod with no other mods required?
    I have also read about 2.8 Granada mk2 callipers took bigger pads, does this give a noticeable difference over the normal vented m16 callipers?
    I’ll also be getting some braided hoses, any recommendations? I’ve seen black line, Hel, and good ridge variants...

Racer Decade Plus User alancdavis's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Brakes

Unless you are in for serious compertition I have found M16 calipers,with decent pads are fine ,,Vented discs require the wider caliper and you can consider grooved and drilled discs
    Big Wing sold and gone to be a film star

World Champion Decade Plus User meXEco's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

That kit will be fine and bolt straight on.

'68 1100 Deluxe-bog stock soon to be a twincam rep.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

If you are a tight budget why spend your money on vented discs when solids will do the same job for a lot less cash. Make sure your pistons on the calipers are free, no corrosion on them and all seals are all in a good condition. With a new set of quality pads you are then ready to go.

You want go wrong with either Hel or Goodridge brake lines the other I have no experience of.
    Last edited by Forest_rallying; 13-04-2020 at 06:36.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Another seller on Ebay does a solid kit and its only a tenner cheaper so I wouldn't bother going solid for the sake of a tenner.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks all. I’d have considered just keeping the solid set up but I have a suspicion that one of the callipers is sticking anyway so I thought if I was replacing a calliper, the discs and pads I might as well go vented (aware this won’t actually improve the braking force etc). I presume the fitting kit is different for the vented set up?

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Brakes

M16 vented callipers are the same but with spacers fitted between the 2 callipers halves. You also need to fit a spacer behind the mount bolts as the calliper halves have technically moved slightly and that’s it. I spaced a set myself quite easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wildo105e; 16-04-2020 at 17:36.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

This kit shows things a bit clearer - the 4 brass oblongs are the caliper spacers - you split the calipers and fit these then use the longer bolts supplied to rejoin the calipers together. The 4 thick round washers then go inbetween the caliper mounts and strut mounts (2 for each caliper) which centralise the caliper over the wider discs. This kit also has the pad fitting kit but no pads - may be better getting this kit and separate decent pads from the same seller?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Mk2-E...oAAOSwL7VWkM3Y
    Last edited by meXEco; 16-04-2020 at 18:43. Reason: Link

+ Reply to Thread