User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1979 RS 2000 Mk.2 horn wiring

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

1979 RS 2000 Mk.2 horn wiring

Hello, my horn isn't working, I haven't had the AVO meter out yet, but notice there is a Red with Yellow tracer wire connected to the horn with female Lucar connector, also from this connector there is a short Red wire with another female Lucar not connected to anything just dangling there. What is this for and should it be attached to something? Unhelpfully the very generalised handbook does not contain a wiring diagram.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: 1979 RS 2000 Mk.2 horn wiring

According to the wiring diagram I have, the feed to the horn should be Black/Yellow. The original horn doesn't require an earth as it's earthed through its body.

However if you have an aftermarket horn like I have which is not earthed through its body, I've had to make up a short lead to provide one.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User merp0's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

The red and yellow wire sounds right, the short link wire you’ve got is normal too, it’s not connected to anything, your fault is elsewhere, could be a fuse, poor earth of the horn itself etc., you know you need a meter

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris_reade View Post
    According to the wiring diagram I have, the feed to the horn should be Black/Yellow. The original horn doesn't require an earth as it's earthed through its body.
    I thought the Black / Yellow was an Ignition Key Switched live and if so will sound the horn constantly. Red / Yellow from the stalk to the horn sounds about right. Subject to where the horn is mounted and the RS nosecone being plastic an additional ground wire to some chassis metal wouldn't be a bad idea!

Bodger

Thanks

Just checked it again and the Haynes manual for the Mexico and RS2000 has it as Black/Yellow from the horn switch. The switched supply from the ignition switch is Black/Yellow, according to the manual. No idea what mine is as its raining and she's in an outdoor Carcoon as the garage has been taken over by the son's MG Midget.

The two wires though would make sense if in the drop snoot it's mounted on the plastic nose cone. Mine is a flat front and the horn is mounted on the metal front panel. The original horn, which I replace last year, had just the one lead as it earthed through the case.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks guys, will get the meter out when I get a few hours. It's definitely red/yellow feed on the car, will take some photos and try and upload them. The horn is pretty inaccessible as it's behind the nose cone and I removed a headlamp to aid access, so I guess it's earthed through the chassis as I could not feel any other wires. I thought afterwards the red spur wire could be the feed for another horn if twin horns were fitted. Why Ford didn't use Lucas wiring I don't know!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Got the AVO meter out. Getting 12v at horn feed. Got continuity between horn bracket and body earth. So it looks like the horn is kaput. Will remove and bench test next.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Got the AVO meter out. Getting 12v at horn feed. Got continuity between horn bracket and body earth. So it looks like the horn is kaput. Will remove and bench test next.
    Just had the same with mine - dug out an old air horn and compressor - deffo MOT pass with that LOL!

Why Ford didn't use Lucas wiring I don't know!
    Probably because RS models built in Germany so DIN wiring colours chosen + more cars built in and for the continent, of all models, at that time ? But I agree having had a Mini Cooper S with Lucas colours and Japanese motorcycles with entirely different colours - it is very confusing!

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    . I thought afterwards the red spur wire could be the feed for another horn if twin horns were fitted.
    you got it

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thank you

Aye it would be the German origin, not the best vehicle wiring I must say. Now just got to work through the other electrical gremlins, already rebuilt the n/s side/headlamp part loom, what a nightmare getting that plug connector out. Just got the n/s indicator to sort out now, I believe the fault lies further back in the main loom.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Removed horn and bench tested; not a peep. Tapped it against the wood bench a few times thinking it might wake it up and it did. Tested it a few times and it has worked every time now. The gubbins must have settled over the near 20 years it was standing.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Fitted it back onto the car and it gives a nice low note. For anyone interested in originality it is a Motorcraft branded Klaxon KW9.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread