User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Xflow conrod bolts

Bodger

Thanks

Xflow conrod bolts

Hi all,

Im looking at giving my standard 1600 xflow a strip, overhaul and tune up soon. I have bought a second hand Burton stage 3 head with larger inlets and has been nicely ported. I will let my local engineering guy give it the once over to check the valve seats are good etc. Planning for him to machine the block to +60 oversize to use some new 1300 pistons he has and use a bcf2 cam with new crank and rod shells. Would i benefit from using ARP conrod bolts or just new standard ones? I want a good strong bottom end, but i wont be red lining it too much, just fast road use.

Thanks,

Neil

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Xflow conrod bolts

There is no downside to using uprated bolts. ARP and Kamax are both good. Crossflow 1600 rods are very strong for a cast rod; in fact I've never seen one break (although I'm sure others may have), but I have seen standard bolts break (not mine!) and take out a whole bottom end. You've got to account for a possible over-rev on a missed gear which could easily break a standard bolt.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Xflow conrod bolts

Thanks Memphis, Kamax seem a good alternative as they are a stronger bolt, but still a standard size and mid priced as well. Just a bit of extra security as the engine has never been apart. Back in the day when I found that the rings were the weak point on crossflows, thrashed standard 1300s and never had a bottom end go, but had a few piston rings break.

+ Reply to Thread