User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High power pinto turbo questions - ARP Head/Main studs and cam tower strengthening

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

High power pinto turbo questions - ARP Head/Main studs and cam tower strengthening

So, with the fitting a bigger turbo to the pinto as part of the 100e build, I keep asking myself the question "Is there anything more I should be doing to keep the engine reliable?" and there are only 3 things I can come up with that we haven't done to the engine that I feel might be needed at some point and I would appreciate some feedback from those more experienced with these things than I to make sure my understand of when and why these might be required etc

ARP Head Studs - I assume that they provide a better clamping force than Reinz bolts? Feel these may be almost an essential at this point if so to prevent lifting the head.

ARP Main Studs - I'm not entirely sure what benefit, if any, these bring?

Re-enforce/Strengthen the cam towers - My understanding is this will only be required if running a high poundage valve spring? I am hoping to not have to change from my current springs, but if they aren't up to holding back the boost and so have to upgrade them, then cam towers would be done at the same time.

For reference, on the TD04-19t we made around 300bhp in the end. The new turbo is a bit of an unknown, but should certainly be able to move enough air for 400bhp...

All thoughts, comments, ramblings etc fully welcome and encouraged!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: High power pinto turbo questions - ARP Head/Main studs and cam tower strengthenin

ARP head studs will defiantly clamp better than bolts, they should also distort the block face less, as the transfer the clamping force deeper into the block

main studs, pointless!

cam tower strengthening, again pointless, probably more pointless in your application than using main studs, as your never going to use a cam/valve spring combo mad enough to require strapping the tower.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: High power pinto turbo questions - ARP Head/Main studs and cam tower strengthenin

I am at the same power level as you, so it may be less valuable input but I use standard Reinz non-stretch head bolts. As far as I know the Skogen Racing guys have made the same choice or just run standard 12.9 fasteners.

ARP studs would of course not hurt though. Otherwise I agree with Graham.

(and I also have a new turbo on the shelf with similar capacities...)

:-)

Gustaf

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Cool, was basing my assumption of possible need based on what I have been able to see in photos of the Holmgren racing setup, and trying to interpret why, but then I guess they are making a lot more power than I am going to be in order to run in the 8's! FGess money can stay firmly in wallet until such time as I find out how much boost it takes to lift the head

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theduck View Post
    Cool, was basing my assumption of possible need based on what I have been able to see in photos of the Holmgren racing setup, and trying to interpret why, but then I guess they are making a lot more power than I am going to be in order to run in the 8's! FGess money can stay firmly in wallet until such time as I find out how much boost it takes to lift the head
    If you are intending studding the head you might aswell go the whole Hogg and fit 6 long head studs that need to be machined through into the bottom of the cylinder block. I have seen so many Pinto blocks that have cracked around the head bolts on the top of the block, more so on the inlet side, the 200 4x4 block is no exeption either. If you look through the waterways you can see where the weakness lies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest_rallying For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theduck View Post
    I am well aquainted with both Phredde and Jörgen Holmgren, we are in the same little part of the world we call Northern Sweden ;-)

Yes, they are working with a lot more power.

I am also thinking, generally, that if the head starts lifting due to bolts, it won't do much harm to other things as long as you catch it in time. But cracking the block is another deal...

Gustaf

8. The Following User Says Thank You to therealpinto For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

That is my thinking too, Gustaf.

+ Reply to Thread