User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1300 pistons

Bodger

Thanks

1300 pistons

Hi all,

I am looking to strip and rebuild my 1600 Ghia xflow engine soon, looking to replace b/e and main bearings if crank is ok, Burton stage 3 ported head, BCF2 cam and 1300 pistons.
    I have a set of used 1300 pistons (standard size) that look in good shape. As my bore size is standard, can i measure the piston skirt gaps in my bore and use them with new rings after de glazing the bore first? My local engine builder has a nearly new set of +60 1300 pistons as an alternative which would obviously require the block to be machined to suit. Is the +60 size overbore noticeable with regards to power? I think getting the block machined for them would ensure that the bores are correct, but has anyone fitted measured standard second hand pistons before?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: 1300 pistons

its not just skirt clearance you need to check, you need to check bore taper and ovality. standard pistons were graded, which means they came in slightly difference variations on the bore size, so just because you have std bores and standard pistons it doesnt mean you can just fit them. there needs to be lots of careful measuring, with a bore mercer. if your engine builder is reputable and honest i would expect him to be able to tell you if you can reuse your 1300 pistons in your block.

but t o be honest its unlikely, these days its very rear to find an x/f block thats still at standard size and doesnt need a rebore.

the + 0.060 pistons will add around 60cc to your engine you might gain 4/5 bhp

Bodger

Thanks

If you can’t use them I would be happy to buy them if you were to sell them

Thanks

Take professional advice first, but I would not advise using standard 1300 pistons as they will not last long at any decent level of power output/compression ratio.
    This was out of a 1660 xflow with a BCF2 and a twin choke DGAV (I think - not twin Webbers)
    Click image for larger version Name:	Piston.jpg Views:	70 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	85518

David

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willid1 View Post
    Take professional advice first, but I would not advise using standard 1300 pistons as they will not last long at any decent level of power output/compression ratio.
    This was out of a 1660 xflow with a BCF2 and a twin choke DGAV (I think - not twin Webbers)
    Attachment 85518

David
    im afraid i have to disagree there, its a tried and tested formula. the piston you showed was massively over heated most likely lean mixture/detonation, the failure was nothing to do with the structural strength of the piston

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    im afraid i have to disagree there, its a tried and tested formula. the piston you showed was massively over heated most likely lean mixture/detonation, the failure was nothing to do with the structural strength of the piston
    I might even suggest it looks like nitrous abuse LOL! With nitrous, pistons are almost a 'service item' such is the frequency of their replacement when 'pushing the envelope'. I may be entirely wrong but whatever the 'tune' in that cylinder was, it was deffo wrong!

Thanks

Hi Graham, this was a long time ago and I think you might be right about the detonation, I seem to remember measuring the compression ratio of what was left of the engine and it was well over 10-1, perhaps this was the problem?

I certainly remember in period the thing to use were "Powermax" 1300 pistons as they were stronger than the standard Ford items.

This was back when 4star fuel still had a reasonable amount of lead in it so how you get on nowadays I'm not sure?

David

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    I might even suggest it looks like nitrous abuse LOL! With nitrous, pistons are almost a 'service item' such is the frequency of their replacement when 'pushing the envelope'. I may be entirely wrong but whatever the 'tune' in that cylinder was, it was deffo wrong!
    i deffo not going to disagree there. id say the fact its was on a twinchoke carb fueling issue is more likely, as a gt twinchoke carb manifold is never going to give totally even fuel distributiom

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks guys, I think I will get the engineering guy to machine the bore to the +60 pistons and i will check the gaps with new rings. I'm pretty confident on the rebuild,but the piston clearance is something I want to be right, so careful measuring is required as you say. I want to get the timing and jetting right so the pistons stand a chance, may even use an octane booster as well.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Don't forget ring gaps - get them wrong and engine's toast!

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Don't forget ring gaps - get them wrong and engine's toast!
    Dont worry, they will get done. So would I have to initially upjet the twin choke to begin with? And what static timing should I go with?
    The Burton head looks to have 41mm inlets, and 34mm exhaust valves and has been nicely ported and flowed. This should be ok to use with the bcf2 and 1300 pistons?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

burton head is typical of what most engines were fitted with back in the day, nothing special but should increase power.

without doubt your carb will need bigger mains.

x/f needs a fair bit of advance, set the static timing around 12 degress you wont be far wrong

+ Reply to Thread