User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.6 turning by hand results in lower pulley slipping

Bodger

Thanks

1.6 turning by hand results in lower pulley slipping

Hi guys, hope you can help me out. I've recently had the head off (1.6) to fix snapped exhaust stud. Put it all back together and when I try and turn by hand in lower pulley it will turn and then feels like it slips and the cam pulley and dizzy do not turn. I'm turning clockwise, this doesn't happen when turning anti clockwise. This results in the static timing going out of alignment. When this happens the cam belt doesn't move the belt is tensioned. Someone suggested Woodruff key maybe missing from pulley. They also suggested that it was highly likely the valves would now be bent. It hasn't started in this state just turned over on starter.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: 1.6 turning by hand results in lower pulley slipping

Woodruff key is a possibility - did you remove the pulley - if not, then it is unlikely! Could be the aux drive pulley which drive the oil pump and dizzy ?
    The Pinto is a NON interference design which means the valves shouldn't clatter the valves with a stock cam! Is the tensioner secured and actually tensioning the belt?

Bodger

Thanks

Hi, cheers for the reply. It's a standard 1.6 apart from 2.0 cam. The belt is tensioned up. I did take the crank pulley off when fitting the belt back. I haven't checked the other pulley though. What should I look for specifically?

Thanks for the help. Dave

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Search me - my pinto knowledge extends to removing one and replacing with a Zetec and fixing a snapped cam belt beside the kerb when I was a LOT younger!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

sounds like you have lost the woodruff key, 1.6 pintos can suffer valve piston contact due to the shallower combustion chamber, especially with a 2.0 cam fitted, but its unlikey you have bent any valves unless you have forced it to turn

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Sorry - I forgot about 1.6 Pinto DOH! My 2.0L is scant!

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks guys,

Fingers crossed there's no bent valves. Is fitting a Woodruff an easy operation? If it turns out to be this.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

should be easy but the first thing is to find it ? this is what your looking for - it fits in a slot in nose of crank and pulley is grooved to slide over it.
    https://www.burtonpower.com/woodruff...nto-ft585.html

if you take bottom pulley bolt out and turn via pulley or cam sprocket then if its slipping you should be able to see/ feel end of crank not moving ? (or flywheel ring gear)
    Last edited by alladdin; 26-05-2020 at 21:22.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but the 1.6 pinto engine is an “interference” type. After many years working at Dougherty’s Ford in Runcorn I can guarantee that you would have bent at least one valve when cranking on the starter if the valve timing is incorrect. If the woodruff key had gone awol but the crank pulley was tightened to the correct torque and the valve timing correct you may have got away with it (tho I doubt that), but if you can make the crank pulley “slip” by turning it by hand I don’t hold out much hope. The starter motor turning torque is more than enough to bend a valve.

I have had 1.6 Pinto’s turn up where the timing belt has failed at idle and the customer himself fitted a new belt (weekend Haynes technician) but then experienced a constant misfire, tho starting ok & believing/appearing to have decent compression: this is a slightly bent valve issue.

Best of luck.
    Are we there yet?

+ Reply to Thread