User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing gearbox oil

FarFar south, any more and my feet are wet, sunny sussex
    Thanks

Removing gearbox oil

Bit of a problem today, went to collect a gearbox today, bagged it up tight, but as you have probably guessed, its leaked everywhere inside the back of the estate, My new, kin expensive estate, and it stinks, not only that, getting the box out of the car, the box slipped out of my grasp and poured a good quantity of oil all over the drive, Bumhats,
    2 questions,
    Q1, I have removed as much of the boot floor as possible, which I have soaped with washing up liquid, jet washed, sprayed with a degreaser, jet washed, carpet cleaner, jet washed, and the bits are in the back garden sunning themselves, it still stinks and I need that smell gone....

Q2, How do I get it out of the drive, I mopped and wiped it the best I could do, then rightly or wrongly covered with cement powder, my problem here is where I dropped the oil is the main thoroughfare into the house, so, to prevent there being a trail of EP70 walked thru the house, I really need to get every trace of oil out of the drive,

I need help to sort Both of these problems, ASAP

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Removing gearbox oil

I'd say 5ltrs of brake cleaner on the drive.

Not so sure about the carpet in the back of the new kin expensive estate though, you could try another 5ltrs of brake cleaner.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

theres a trick using cement and coke i think ? quattros used flour and coke to clean oil from clutches mid stage from memory ?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    I'd say 5ltrs of brake cleaner on the drive.

Not so sure about the carpet in the back of the new kin expensive estate though, you could try another 5ltrs of brake cleaner.
    brake cleaner or petrol and wash it away

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Good environmentally friendly options LOL! Exchange the smell of manky gearbox oil for noxious brake cleaner! Sorry not very helpful but buy new carpet and put it down to experience!

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Good environmentally friendly options LOL! Exchange the smell of manky gearbox oil for noxious brake cleaner! Sorry not very helpful but buy new carpet and put it down to experience!

The difference is the smell of the brake cleaner will disappear, where as the Ep70 won't.

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I did exactly the same in my kin expensive estate, and used a combination of brake cleaner and vanish carpet cleaner spray foam. A good few applications and it was pretty much gone but you can still see slightly where it was. Washing up liquid may also help as it breaks down grease. Fortunately mine wasn't such a huge slick.

My mate who sells me the brake cleaner tells me it is basically dry cleaning spray.
    Last edited by wildo105e; 28-05-2020 at 13:07.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wildo105e For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Today I have mostly been cleaning interior, fortunately, the oil dosent seem to have got beyond the boot floor, which comes out with 2 bolts and a clip, Last night I did Fairy liquid, scrubbed in, jet washed, you could still scrape the oil off the carpet with your thumb, Brake cleaner, pretty much the same, another solvent cleaner I had did a bit better, but not well enough, this morning its still thick and greasy now it has dried Im now at the nothing to loose position, so off to Screwfix Website, and purchased a gallon of "NO NONSENSE" degreaser, It says use diluted 5:1 , unless heavily soiled, so I used it neat, scrubbed it in pulled it down with a squeegee scrubbed it again with degreaser, then jet washed it, took about half an hour of Jet washing to stop the suds coming out of the carpet, BUT, I cant smell cats pee at the moment, I will update tomorrow with a state of the carpet address. And as a bonus, the stuff has had a remarkable effect on the oil that got spilt on the drive too, Tomorrow chaps

Thanks

Let us no Ian as last time that happened,ended up getting new boot carpet as could still smell gearbox oil

Thanks

Today, I drove the car for the first Time, left it in the sun for about 4 hours, the floorboard was back in the car, but the side cover still smelt this morning, so I did not refit this, TBH with a spray of fabrize, the car was quite tollerable, I managed to find a side cover this morning on the dreaded Evilbay so I duly purchased it.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Brake cleaner is pretty versatile stuff !
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Autosmart G101, de-greases and lifts dirt, or, Autosmart Extra Hands hand cleaner. I've used this for years to get oil of any fabric before washing.

+ Reply to Thread