User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noisey Limited slip diff - reassurance needed !!

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Noisey Limited slip diff - reassurance needed !!

I have a second hand diff 6j nxg newly installed in my atlas. The diff had been back to 6j for some changes ? before i bought it. It makes noises when turning slowly which i half expected as people say they do. But not the noise i get it sounds like groaning. Maybe thats right
    My question is do tighter diffs make more noise on slight lock etc as they are locking up more quickly ? I ask as mine came from a rally car and could be setup for that. I have no reason to think it is broken as the history added up it looked good and was in 6j packing. It was setup in the axle by RACE. I also used the oil they recommended. I am thinking mine just less suited to road work because of the settings etc if that makes sense and am i worrying over nothing or maybe needs bedding in more. Without removing it is hard to say how it is setup

Any advice appreciated as it seems to work it's just the noise seems counter intuitive although i can understand that it is friction plates.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Noisey Limited slip diff - reassurance needed !!

Yes sounds normal, and yes the tighter the pre-load the more noise it will make

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Erikmex For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Excuse the thread bump but just wondered how your LSD had been since you fitted it?

I have an NXG but after just a few miles it wasn't locking and the noise was way more than expected. I returned it to the guys that built up my diff and they said that it had lost the pre-load?

I just wondered if you, or anyone else, had had similar issues?

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Hi mark just replied to you pm but for anyone else here it is if it helps anyone else out.

"So far i have had no issues but i haven't really driven it I just started the car tonight so may get to drive it a bit more soon. I bought it second hand supposedly rebuilt but i don't know what ramp angles are fitted as it came out of a rally car and the guy had changed them about. I used the castrol b373 oil on recommendation of the squires bothers. What i have noticed it rumbles quite load when turning tightly but this is supposed to be normal.

They do seem to have a good rep and in my contact with 3J on other things they have been very good."

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Many thanks for your reply.

I've never had an LSD lose the pre-load before and I had the whole diff overhauled when they fitted the LSD. It just wasn't locking and the chatter was just a lot more than expected. I sent the diff back to the guy that built it for me so fingers crossed that he's been able to remedy the pre-load issue? I've just never heard of that happening before hence my concern. I had opted for the sintered clutch pack so had expected some noise above and beyond the stock BMW LSD's I have run previously. Anyway, it should be back in the car any day now so fingers crossed.

Bodger
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildo105e View Post
    I have a second hand diff 6j nxg newly installed in my atlas. The diff had been back to 6j for some changes ? before i bought it. It makes noises when turning slowly which i half expected as people say they do. But not the noise i get it sounds like groaning. Maybe thats right
    My question is do tighter diffs make more noise on slight lock etc as they are locking up more quickly ? I ask as mine came from a rally car and could be setup for that. I have no reason to think it is broken as the history added up it looked good and was in 6j packing. It was setup in the axle by RACE. I also used the oil they recommended. I am thinking mine just less suited to road work because of the settings etc if that makes sense and am i worrying over nothing or maybe needs bedding in more. Without removing it is hard to say how it is setup

Any advice appreciated as it seems to work it's just the noise seems counter intuitive although i can understand that it is friction plates.
    yea some just make strange noises as they driven slowly , due to the tight setup. as long as it does work , im afraid you will have to put up with some noises while driving,

+ Reply to Thread