User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zetec type9 fly wheel and clutch

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Zetec type9 fly wheel and clutch

Hi all,

Could any one please tell me and others why when fitting a type 9 gearbox box to a Zetec engine in rwd (2.0L in my case)
    Do we need to fit 1.8L fly wheel and have it re drilled to accept a pinto clutch?

I am in the process of fitting a zetec 2.0L to a consul capri and have read many threads which i am using as my guide,
    but getting very confused with the fly wheel and clutch combination.

I read that the 2.0L fly wheel and clutch will still work if using the LRS707 starter motor?
    or use the 1.8L fly wheel (same diameter but lighter) re drilled for pinto clutch.

As i intend use as standard ie no BHP mods, is it just the clutch operation (lack of full travel) that is an issue.

Any help from those who know greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Zetec type9 fly wheel and clutch

I had the same info overload as you on this.
    My needs are a good reliable daily driver with a bit of attitude.
    So what I’ve gone with is.....standard 2lt flywheel as a 1.8 is for faster acceleration but can give lumpy tick over (according to the stuff I read anyway)
    I kept the standard zetec 2lt clutch as they are cheaper and the transit release bearing.
    The down side is the lack of peddle travel. This can be overcome by using release bearing extension (think Burton do one) or using hydraulic release bearing (need a hydraulic clutch peddle)
    Me being a tight arse cut bent and re-welded the release fork. Also I had to make a spacer to take up the slack in the cable.
    the result a good feel to the clutch pedal - how ever it`s not run yet can’t say it works or the fork mod will last.
    this is just how i`ve gone about it......can`t say it`s best way or even that it will work fingers crossed.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Apart from lack of travel theres nothing wrong with the (huge clutched) 2.0 setup at all. i've driven one with a throttle bodied engine and it picked up like a superbike. Try using the thick capri bearing (133 ?) and grind a bit off the bellhousing to gain some travel. The 1.8 clutch is smaller at 220mm compared to the 240 of the 2.0 (these are silvertop sizes, blacktops have different sizes).

Mechanic

Thanks

Std 2.0 cutch and flywheel with transit thrust bearing cct133 or 1.8 flywheel and clutch (or rs turbo clutch) and early cari thrust bearing cct113. Both work perfect

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi Thanks all for replies still seems as clear as mud!

I have stripped down a doner 2.0L mondeo silver top and have all the associated parts, engine, clutch, fly wheel and hydraulic clutch release.
    After reading up on various engine swaps i now have the 1.8L fly wheel and clutch.

I was hoping to use the standard 2.0L clutch and hydraulic release bearing, but the release bearing does not fit over the type 9 input shaft!
    With regards 4door, been a Yorkshire man tight arse is second nature to me.

As my cars original engine it came with (not standard but a Vulcan Engineering unit) had a lighted fly wheel i can appreciate the poor idle and one of
    the reasons for my swap, again regards 4door i just want a usable everyday classic.

So can I use the original mondeo starter motor with the type 9 box and 2.0L fly wheel or do I need the lrs707 unit?

Is there anyone who has modded the mondeo clutch release bearing to fit type 9 box?

Thanks all Mark.

Thanks

from tinternet.......
    "The stock starter motor will no longer engage with the ring teeth, so either space it back (forwards!) from the bellhousing with some spacers, or you will need a starter motor from a Ford Sierra with a 1.8 CVH or 2.0 DOHC engine. The Lucas part for this is the LRS707."
    I went with the sierra starter coz i had one
    can`t help with the mondeo hydraulic release bearing, as cable worked for me.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Nice start motor dimension reference data here

http://www.brise.co.uk/Ford_starter_motors.html
    Last edited by Svein; 17-03-2012 at 09:52.

Bodger

Thanks

The sierra 2.0dohc auto starter is the correct one to use and doesn't need spacing out.
    I have a mate who used a 1.8 td mondeo clutch on a 2.0 zetec flywheel and used the standard rs2000 bearing. As 4door said he also cut and re welded the fork and it works fine, plus it's a lot cheaper than a pinto clutch.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

1800 cvh sierra starter works fine.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Think I found that the 1800 CVH and DOCH Auto share the same numbers.
    Couldnt use the DOHC in my Anglia with Milton World Cup crossmember, had to buy a slim starter from Brise.

Norwegian buyers welcome for the DOHC starter

Thanks

I fitted an 1800 blacktop in my 100e. just converted her to type 9 last week. i used 1800 silvertop flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, QH ccct??? thrust bearing and working perfect. Silvertop 1800 and 2.oL clutch plates fit the splines of the type 9 box, blacktops dont.
    1961 Ford Popular 100E, 1800 Blacktop Zetec, Hydraulic clutch, 5 speed box.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

OK peeps been a few years now engine in and up and running sort of having a stalling issue when depressing clutch approaching stops, OK why not just hit the starter i here you say!!!! well there is the next problem when warm the starter very much so needs some spinach as it turns over like a sack of spuds ,resembling a nearly flat battery. anyone got any suggestions/help P.S. goes like the clappers though when floored

+ Reply to Thread