User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: haven't seen this type of engine design before

World Champion Decade Plus User caprimentle's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

haven't seen this type of engine design before

skip to about 6:05 for the assembly bit where it starts to make more sense, looked quite good imo, don't know why it wasn't used

its not dead till it's buried!

T.I.T engineering. "Feel the power!"

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: haven't seen this type of engine design before

Lots of friction??

World Champion Decade Plus User caprimentle's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

but they're is almost an endless continuation of firing and seeing that it rotates (just like the rotary wankel) i bet its smooth.
    its not dead till it's buried!

T.I.T engineering. "Feel the power!"

Mechanic

Thanks

Looks like a big AC compressor

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

my guess its it has no real torque, and i cant see all those roller bearings standing the test of time

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Lots of friction with roller bearings too although they can last a long time we have pumps offshore that run at high rpms for years with rollers, if the alignment and lubrication is good they are fine, do porches not have roller bearing cranks?

World Champion Decade Plus User popuptoaster's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Stolen from Wikipedia.

The Dyna-Cam engine originally came from a design by the Blazer brothers, who worked for Studebaker in 1916. They sold the rights to Karl Herrmann, Studebaker's head of engineering, who developed the concept over many years, eventually taking out US patent 2237989 in 1941.[11] It has 6 double-ended pistons working in 6 cylinders, and its 12 combustion chambers are fired every revolution of the drive shaft. The pistons drive a sine-shaped cam, as opposed to a swashplate or wobble-plate, hence its name.

In 1961, at the age of 80, Herrmann sold the rights to one of his employees, Edward Palmer, who set up the Dyna-Cam Engine Corp. along with son Dennis. Edward's son Dennis and daughter Pat then helped get the engine installed in a Piper Arrow. The engine was flown for about 700 hours in the Piper Arrow from 1987 through 1991. Their longest engine ran for nearly 4000 hours before overhaul. Dyna-Cam opened an R & D facility in around 1993 and won many various awards from NASA, US Navy, the US Marine Corps, California Energy Commission, Air Quality Management District, and Los Angeles Regional Technology Alliance for different variations of the same Dyna-Cam Engine. About 40 prototype engines were built by the Herrmann Group and another 25 built by the Dyna-Cam Group since they acquired the engine and opened their shop. A new patent was granted to Dennis Palmer and Edward Palmer first in 1985 and then several more around 2000 to Dennis Palmer. In 2003 the assets of the Dyna-Cam Engine Corp were acquired by first Aero-Marine Corp. who changed their name to Axial Vector Engine Corporation.[12] Axial Vector then totally re-designed the cam engine. Axial Vector's new engine, like many of the others on this list, suffers from the "put in everything" problem, including piezoelectric valves and ignition, ceramic cylinder liners with no piston rings, and a variety of other advanced features. It has almost no similarity to the original Herrmann and Dyna-Cam Engine since the Dyna-Cam Engine used conventional valves, piston rings, accessories, had no unproven ceramic materials and actually flew in a Piper Arrow and also powered a 20-foot (6.1 m) Eliminator Ski Boat for over four years.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Check out Stirling engines they are very cool

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

seems a good design but you have to wonder how long the bearings and little end rollers are going to last? but only revving at 2000 rpm max good question? seems a mix of design between a wankel and a rotating cylinder vailve (rcv) to me!

+ Reply to Thread