User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: type 9 clicking noise

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

type 9 clicking noise

hi everyone, a weird question. I have just got a second hand v6 type 9 )told a HD version but it isnt). It has oil, all gears look good and feels smooth and virtually no play and very litle movement in input shaft so all seemed great. But when i turn the input shaft, clockwise or anti, i hear a noise which sounds identical to those office desk ball bearings on string that click. All i can imagine are some missing ball bearings and as it turns they fall downwards and hit the lower ball bearings. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? id like to get to the bottom of it as it seems like a good gearbox apart from this. When i drained it there wasnt anything lying in the bottom or in the oil.

Adam

Re: type 9 clicking noise

Have you removed the top cover so then try to pinpoint the clicking? you really need to strip the box and check all the internals for any damage etc.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I had the top off and it looks good, just this weird noise.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

ive stripped the gearbox and the rear mainshaft bearing has stripped its bearing casing and so the bearings are free to rotate, giving the clicking noise. Anyone know the size of the bearing? i have a friend at a bearing company and would prefer him to get it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by itsawindupuk View Post
    ive stripped the gearbox and the rear mainshaft bearing has stripped its bearing casing and so the bearings are free to rotate, giving the clicking noise. Anyone know the size of the bearing? i have a friend at a bearing company and would prefer him to get it for me.
    Glad you found the problem, also the bearing should have a number which you can use to order a replacement

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

im struggling to remove the circlip that holds it in, its a beast! bent two pairs of pliers so far!

+ Reply to Thread