User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Project dyno

Mechanic

Thanks

Re: Project dyno

Widebands were available back in 2002....just very expensive. I still have my old FJO controller from back then, I think it cost me near 800...and that was with a more favourable exchange rate than today ! lol

Although narrowbands could be used to give some info, but used with caution, I was using them to assist with tuning from the mid 90's.

As for the dyno controls...I guess there should be more modern control options for them ? Either from Superflow or others ? I've seen guys build their own dyno's, and then sourced control software from other companies.
    So I'd guess it would be possible for this too...some time in the future if funds or the need arises..

But as you say, it will work, it will give numbers...always gotta start somewhere.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    Widebands were available back in 2002....just very expensive. .
    2002 was the car, not the year! it was bmw 2002, year was 1999/2000

I support TS Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    2002 was the car, not the year! it was bmw 2002, year was 1999/2000

I thought I'd leave you to correct that.

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    yes, its just like the old retro engines we are using, still functions ok, just not as well as modern kit. but if it can read engine speed and torque then it can give you power figures. Its the data side of things thats really moved on.
    just in the same way that we used to tune engines by ear and looking at spark plugs, then came CO meters, and computerized rolling roads. although even there my first injected 2002 was mapped by dave walker, no such thing as O2 sensors at the rolling road, and the CO meter kept crapping out, we had never heard of meassuring EGT either, so it was mapped like you do timing he just added fuel until the power stopped going up! nowdays there practically nothing you cant log.

the 901 is basically obsolete as various bits are unobtainable or no one knows how to fix them. its a bit like taking a 1990s computer running windows 95 down to PC world and asking them to fix it, your just got told "sorry mate its too old buy a new one."
    Well my hats off to you sir! I must admit I always admire you guys who can work these machines, it's like the old school tuners on rolling roads with carbs, it just an art, and a dying one at that.
    I'm actually going in reverse/old school myself and going back to carbs with a BDG, I tried TB and ECU and just think retro needs to be just that and keeping people in work to keep it going is a must IMO.

+ Reply to Thread