User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.3 crossflow ignition

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

1.3 crossflow ignition

1977 Greece import 1.3 crossflow. Car cuts out, feels electrical to me. My question is, it already has electronic ignition but looks very old. I am going to buy a new electronic distributor and coil. To buy the right one l need to know if l have a ballast resistor. I can’t see one but apparently there could be one in the loom. Any ideas how l can find out. Also do electronic ignitions require a constant 12v feed compared to the old points system which has 12v on start up then drops to 9v. Thanks

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: 1.3 crossflow ignition

some will some wont, its easy to tell if the car has a ballast fitted, take the live wire off the coil and check the voltage with ignition on, if its ballast you will have around 7-9volt, if its non ballast you will have full battery voltage

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    some will some wont, its easy to tell if the car has a ballast fitted, take the live wire off the coil and check the voltage with ignition on, if its ballast you will have around 7-9volt, if its non ballast you will have full battery voltage
    You will only measure the 7-9 Volts quoted by Graham when the points are closed or the electronic ignition is "on".
    To be sure there is current flowing through the coil (no current = no voltage drop) connect a wire from - side of coil to earth and measure the voltage then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniliteman For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    You will only measure the 7-9 Volts quoted by Graham when the points are closed or the electronic ignition is "on".
    To be sure there is current flowing through the coil (no current = no voltage drop) connect a wire from - side of coil to earth and measure the voltage then.

I’ve done a few tests and it seems l may have a ballast resistor, with the car possibly having a fault can l just get a coil that doesn’t require a ballast resistor and supply a direct power to it from the ignition. Thanks

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Do you suspect the coil is at fault?
    I can’t think of a reason why you couldn’t drop in a new temporary coil.
    Just for testing you could pick up a temporary feed directly from the battery. You will as I’m sure you know need to use the current negative, as this is working through your distributor.
    What electronic ignition do you have fitted ?

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juddies View Post
    I’ve done a few tests and it seems l may have a ballast resistor, with the car possibly having a fault can l just get a coil that doesn’t require a ballast resistor and supply a direct power to it from the ignition. Thanks
    Yes, use for example a Bosch blue coil or a Lucas DLB105. Both are approx. 3 Ohms in primary resistance.

+ Reply to Thread