User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: st170 to maxda rx8 box, new starter,otor.

Bodger
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

st170 to maxda rx8 box, new starter,otor.

Hi All.
    As some of you might know my project car is gona be running st170 engine, 2.0lt flywheel lightened and balanced and drilled for pinto clutch, to rx8 6speed gearbox. my question is what starter motor would be best, i have found this bit of info ,but would like peoples option / advise on it, THANKS

Starter Motor

If using one of the standard Zetec flywheels, you will need a starter motor from a Ford Sierra with a 1.8 CVH or 2.0 DOHC engine. The Lucas part for this is the LRS707. If any of the standard Zetec flywheels, you will need the starter motor from any OHC Pinto based Sierra from 1982-1989 or any CVH based Sierra from 1987-1993. This is a Lucas LRS543 or equivalent.
    Please be aware that this is available in two variants with different diameter motor housings, one around 3½" in diameter and the other around 5" in diameter. The one with the lager diameter motor housing will not fit and will foul on the sump. Therefore, you will need to specify the smaller diameter model.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: st170 to maxda rx8 box, new starter,otor.

given your ability i would suggest re making the adapter at starter position to use the std st170 starter. this is a higher output and obviously matches the zetec FW. and its compact. can also move up under inlet if needed. the lrs 707 as above is pinto pattern and zetec fw compatible ( 15mm ish different throw.) the info above is a bit confusing as i think its a typo and secont part should read pinto flywheel ?

for a pinto clutch it was a std pinto bearing i think ? but i guess yours is hybrid rx8 anyway for bearing.
    Last edited by alladdin; 31-12-2020 at 17:55.

Bodger
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Hi Aladdin.
    First things first,, HAPPY NEW YEAR,
    As you may know i got st170 engine with adaptor plate for rx8 box, new sprigot bearing to suit, mazda clutch bearing running pinto cluch as i had the new 2.0 zetec flywheel lightened and balanced, as i got rid of the dual mass that was on the st170 engine. also the starter was sold off as i new it wouldnt fit my combo.
    as i havent bolted it together yet , not sure whats needed, i seem to fav the lrs707 , but i not sure on fittment yet, as you read so many different things regarding starter fittings / workings. and i would like to fit the high torque version ( wasp type ). hope this explains it abit.
    cheers mike

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

yes, the difference is that ring gear on zetec flywheels is placed about 15mm different to pinto so you need a starter to suit, adapters have fit for pinto pattern so lrs707 will do it. but i would go for a mod and use an st170 std starter - high torque as std i think. and cheap n easy to replace.

+ Reply to Thread