User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pinto valve timing

Bodger

Thanks

Pinto valve timing

Hi guys. I'm at the point of starting my 2.0 pinto for the first time. I'm honestly scared I've not got my head around the timing. I hear a lot about having it 180° out. I'm running a Newman phase 4.5 cam. They have said to set the cam to standard cam settings using the original pully cog. Then attach the vernier. So I think its right. What do I see. I see in number 1, that the inlet is closed and exhaust open. On number 4, both closed. Does that sound like i have it all more or less in the right position for TDC.
    Sorry guys but its been a journey and starting it is the icing on the cake. And I'm a civil engineer. Not a mechanic. But determined to do it all myself.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Pinto valve timing

180 degrees out normally refers to ignition timing and ht lead position. technically you cannot time a cam 180 out because one crank revolution changes the cam 180 degrees any way

with the engine at tdc no1 on firing stroke, you should end up with the valves on no1 shut, and both the valves on no4 both open a very small amount

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by murray View Post
    And I'm a civil engineer. Not a mechanic. But determined to do it all myself.
    LOL's - no excuse! I'm an Architect and 58 yrs young and do whatever I can, within the limits of my experience and tools available! As Graham says really the only thing you can screw up with cam timing is alignment with crankshaft - likely the Pinto is a non interference engine (as standard) so one tooth out doesn't hurt it, just hurts power but aftermarket cams with better lift could make it an interference engine so getting the crank / cam relationship correct could be critical but it really is as simple as lining up the dots!

Bodger

Thanks

Right, I had it set up totally wrong. I'll have another look. Thanks guys

Bodger

Thanks

Does this look like I have it correctly set?

https://youtu.be/PgIf1xIh8y4

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Looks about right but i'd have equalised the cam wheel in its slots before fitting the belt as you look to have run out of adjustment one way - probably one tooth would do it?

Bodger

Thanks

By equalising the cam wheel. Do you mean the vernier pulley. Have it set in a neutral position to allow advance and retard the timing when required. I will have a look. Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread