User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford Capri Mk1 Facelift, Candyred V6

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Ford Capri Mk1 Facelift, Candyred V6

This car was bought by my dad 1980. It is originally 3.0 GT.
    Car sold oringinally, in Kouvola to Siltala brothers. It was lost in somewhere for couple of years, and was bough from Hamina.
    Car was quite a rusted one when my dad got it. Pretty much entire floor needed welding.

Car was not long stock 3.0, when my dad bough. There must have been made engine overhaul before my dad bough, because engine made strange noice when it was bough.
    Engine was again dismantled almost as soon car was bough. There was to pistons assebled to wrong way, but that did't break the engine. Changing direction of pistons as it should be removed to
    noise. Car was driven on summer and then it broke down in winter when there was minus -25c degrees out there. Car was pushed to my dad's garage and they started to look for fault.
    Fault was stock "fiber" camgear that had lost all toothing and all valves went bent... the fault was maybe SA30 oils. Oil should have been changed in winter to SAE20. (Oil grading was something like this in 1980s)
    Engine was fixed back to gether and car was driven to summer. Car had lots of problems with ignition and in summer car was painted from LeMans Green to Candy red. It was also fitted piranha ingition system. (I am not sure what this was but it was cheaper one and the was better model of that one gold something, someone migh remember). Car was driven then maybe two years, until exhaust was rusted and needed new one. Car was fitted with tuning exhaust, and stage 1 tuning camshaft. 3.0 essex gave then maybe like 10-15 bhb than normally but fuel consumption got way higher maybe 3litres/100km more. Car was driven like that one winter. Next summer car was fitted 5-speed gearbox (non hd). It lowered the fuel consumpion little but not much. Then a rod broke and the power 3.0 essex gave for that fuel cosumption was too low. Like a magic there came chance to get 2.8i Kjet engine and it was fitted to this Capri. Engine needed total rebuild because all crankbearings where can and head was lathed because it wasn't straight. Car got a new front crossmember from 2.8i with power steering and a bellhousing to fit type 9 that was earlier installed. (It was somewhere 88 to 90. Also permission to instal a turbo was sough from local admistration. First turbo was from Lancia Integrale. It was quite small. Engine had stock camshaft at that point and maybe like 0,8 bar boost. Engine had awesome torque in whole are but turbo died at 5000rpm because small exhaust side. Car made maybe 220 bhb. Car's Atlas axle started to lose shafts, the would not hold. The bended to arc.... this problem was fixed by getting Karpiol special made 16spline shafts, that lasted really long. Though, it wasn't long before engine broke. (piston cracked, most likely because of detonation) 98E5 octane was not enough with 9.2 compression cast pistons. Adviced were looked from local dragracing guru "Timo Lehtimäki" someone might know this guy from Finland. (now working in Topfuel team in Europe). Then there was made a custom distributor that worked with vacuum/boost, it lowered ignition advance with boost but used otherwise stock distributor. New oversize pistons were installed and head of piston was lathed off a millimeter and that gave something like 8.5:1 compression. Car lasted then to year 1996 when piston was gone again. This time it was time to change bigger turbo. Advices was sough how and what the get. Ford sierra rs500 turbo was too costly and turbo was made from pieces. It had RS200 Compressor and exhaust side from turbo volvo. It was still T3/T4 with high boost wings. 56mm inducer and 58 exducer. Also the sparkplugs were changed to work better with boost. K-jetronic was not delivering enough fuel at this point so two extra injectors were fitting to work in staged with boost pressure. Electric rpm-limiter was installed also. Camshaft was changed to kentcams V6T21. These modifications lost quite a lot low end torque but power rise to totally new level. Maybe 300+bhb (was never dynoed at start was driven with 1.2 bar boost). Fuel consumption was really low compared to engine modifications before you coud get as low as 9l/100km in highway and 14l/100km in city. This engine modification lasted to 2001 when piston was gone again. New USA-model casted pistons were fitted with 8.0 compression and this engine modification lasted untill 2013 when extra fuel injectors stopped working. At then starts the more exact information is posted to here.

Last time car was driven in winter was 1997. From then on Car was hold in warm garage and drive only in summer.

I don't have pictures of that 3.0 essex version, but I got a one photo of 2.8I turbo.
    https://imgur.com/lk7CkHrhttps://imgur.com/lk7CkHr

Car looked like this pretty much same from 1982 to 2013
    https://imgur.com/sEAueRS

Car was started to rebuild again like 2013 a bit by bit.
    https://imgur.com/ITK41mP

2020 summer picture
    https://imgur.com/0nvaUo1https://imgur.com/0nvaUo1https://imgur.com/jeg5sd9

The rebuild/modification is going on even this winter.

I will keep updating this one while i have time and I will make some corrections later and clean up. Comments are welcome. I hope images work.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Ford Capri Mk1 Facelift, Candyred V6

Eh dammit, pictures not working as they should, and can't edit....

Bodger

Thanks

Nice!!! Can't argue with a angeliron an turbo

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

This forums prevents after editing or removing message to make new?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    This forums prevents after editing or removing message to make new?
    this forum has always been set up so posts can only be edited for a short time, i dont know why thats just the way it is

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    this forum has always been set up so posts can only be edited for a short time, i dont know why thats just the way it is
    I often double post by mistake and then struggle to remove one of them.

Any news on the Dyno progress Graham?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post

Any news on the Dyno progress Graham?
    none since my last update on the thread