User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Twin webers air leak

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Twin webers air leak

Ok so iv got a new built pinto with new weber 45s trying to set carbs up but getting pops and bangs and the odd flame i am assuming air leak on manifold to carb area? I have used new misab plates was careful not to over tighten on the rubber bobbins/cups etc as per instructions.i cant do the usual spray carb cleaner round joints as cant get to idle properly.its not to bad if i hold revs at 2k plus which i have been doing to bed new cam in anyway but if i ease off it just spits n pufs.im sure timing is not to far off but again cant check that with light as it wont run long enough!! Any ideas?i was thinking about taking the mishab plates off and just put a gasket on (only tempory) just to see if air leak? Cheers guys

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Twin webers air leak

I think you may have more of a problem than a carb air leak. What type of ignition system are you using? It maybe timing or a problem with the ignition side. I had the very same problem and it was the Accuspark type ignition module Dicking about. There's something said for basic points in your distributor.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I’d have a play with the dizzy, loosen the nut so you can just twist the dizzy and have a play and see what you come up with for a starters, as you state you’ve run the cam in so no worries there

Bodger

Thanks

Can you get someone to fire it up when you handle the trottle on the carbs? Then spray and see.
    I believe you can check timing with light, just remember it advances on revs. Should give a pointer. I found that spit back in carb is lean or timingissue, but I have a 32/36.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    I think you may have more of a problem than a carb air leak. What type of ignition system are you using? It maybe timing or a problem with the ignition side. I had the very same problem and it was the Accuspark type ignition module Dicking about. There's something said for basic points in your distributor.
    Thanks. Im running bestek electronic ignition not had probs with it before.there is bit of play in cap
    In the fact that it can move fractionly.i have magnicor leads with good spark at plugs tho

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    I’d have a play with the dizzy, loosen the nut so you can just twist the dizzy and have a play and see what you come up with for a starters, as you state you’ve run the cam in so no worries there
    Thanks.done that with a m8 when it does start its not sharp tho and will pop when you move it.i still think its dizzy related as i was very carefull mounting carbs i just cant see how theres air leak

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

You could be running lean at idle / off idle - what jetting is installed? Some better informed adults may advise changes if they know what you have fitted!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    You could be running lean at idle / off idle - what jetting is installed? Some better informed adults may advise changes if they know what you have fitted!
    Twin 45 152 carbs 36 chokes.f16 emulsion tubes 145 mains 180 airs.iv tried 55f8.55f6 and 60 f6 idles so far ??
    Cheers

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

I doubt it's carb related, I would be looking at the ignition side, especially timing. Is your rotor arm sittting fully home and locked in the slot correctly on the disributor shaft and is there any abnormal free play there ?

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

you have not mentioned (i dont think ) if you have balanced correctly and set idle mixtures ?

Bodger
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alladdin View Post
    you have not mentioned (i dont think ) if you have balanced correctly and set idle mixtures ?
    that would be my suggestion as well. or better still get it on a rolling road some where and get it set up expertly,

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Hi cant set mixtures as cant get to tick over below 2k same as balance really.i do have airflow meter.but hard to do when you got flames lol.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by modifyitmike View Post
    that would be my suggestion as well. or better still get it on a rolling road some where and get it set up expertly,
    Yes needs to get on rolling rd but cant drive till i can get it running basicly

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    I doubt it's carb related, I would be looking at the ignition side, especially timing. Is your rotor arm sittting fully home and locked in the slot correctly on the disributor shaft and is there any abnormal free play there ?
    New bosch dizzy cap from burtons.rotor fits nice tight.magnicor leads all fitting correct on cap and plugs.new plugs.take plugs out theres fuel on them prob due to trying to start.when you switch off after running big puff smoke out carb

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Theyellowmex View Post
    Hi cant set mixtures as cant get to tick over below 2k same as balance really.i do have airflow meter.but hard to do when you got flames lol.
    you dont need to.
    back off the idle screw on the lead carb to get it as shut as possible, remove a progression hole cover on that carb and adjust the idle screw to move edge of butterfly under one of the holes. a torch into carb may help..
    now remove a p.h. cover on the other carb adjust that butterfly via the balance link to get it under the same equivilent hole. they should now be roughly balanced.
    lightly close all 4 mixture screws and wind all back out an even amount - say 3 full turns. ( it differs with carb age /type) -
    adjust idle screw out to fast idle position and you can now start it up ( put covers back lol) and drop idle to lowest you can to allow mixture setting.
    thats a starting point anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to alladdin For This Useful Post:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

if you have flames the timing is probably a mile out, usually retarded, what happens is the mixture burns so late its still burning the next time the inlet valve opens
    Last edited by Graham; 08-01-2021 at 08:48.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    if you have flames the timing is probably a mile out, usually retarded, what happens is the mixture burns so late its still burning the next time the inlet valve opens
    Graham i got tdc on piston 1 with timing marks lined up and dizzy at number 1 via rotor.iv checked its on firing stroke ie not firing on 4.iv then turned dizzy anti clockwise to where it will fire up and then only turned anti clockwise to see if improves but not really still get backfire which i know is symptom of retarded ignition.iv took the carbs off now bought some new mishabs and will put them together and start again.cheers

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

you dont need to.
    back off the idle screw on the lead carb to get it as shut as possible, remove a progression hole cover on that carb and adjust the idle screw to move edge of butterfly under one of the holes. a torch into carb may help..
    now remove a p.h. cover on the other carb adjust that butterfly via the balance link to get it under the same equivilent hole. they should now be roughly balanced.
    lightly close all 4 mixture screws and wind all back out an even amount - say 3 full turns. ( it differs with carb age /type) -
    adjust idle screw out to fast idle position and you can now start it up ( put covers back lol) and drop idle to lowest you can to allow mixture setting.
    thats a starting point anyway.
    Cheers i initialy did that when i fitted carbs to manifold although i only turned mixtures out 2 turns.il start from scratch try again

+ Reply to Thread