NE is ford 2 Litre code

MG will be month and year

46863 just the engine number

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: Pinto engine on top of classic Mini gearbox: advice requested

About time I updated this a bit,

Had delivery of new Mini flywheel/clutch setup, fits a treat:

Had the head sent off to be cleaned up, but after a chat with the rebuilder I decided to source a new head. The old one was worn (guides/seats), had mismatched valves, etc. hefty quote of labour involved made buying a second hand head in decent shape the better choice. Picked one up from guys who used to race pintos in stockcar classes, but as they moved on the Zetec's the parts became shelved.

Old at top, new on bottom:

Took it apart to clean and rebuild again, so the head is now sorted.

The camshaft has some visible wear, and even after a wet sand at 1200 grit and another round with scotchbrite it doesn't become very shiny. I can't feel any of the wear with my fingers though, should I have this sorted?

Then the question is, seeing as I'm adding a new flywheel/clutch setup, normally I would have the crank and flywheel balanced. I read a lot of posts on the internet that the pinto cranks tend to be in balance perfectly fine, and as I don't intend to seek the high rev bands, I wonder what people here advice me to do in regards to balancing it or not.

I haven't split the block and sump/gearbox yet as I want to hoist the lump in the engine bay first to get further with fueling and cooling (measure the space), so I don't know the condition of the crank just yet. It turns smoothly by hand without the head on at least.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Pinto engine on top of classic Mini gearbox: advice requested

From what Graham has said in the past, std pinto's don't appear to be 'crank limitted' and can turn to 7k without big concerns but those would have Ford flywheels, clutches and harmonic balancer pullies hung off them!
    The mini fly and clutch is a whole different animal and for the peace of mind, i'd get it spun up and balanced. Still think this is bonkers but fun nonetheless!

+ Reply to Thread