User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: The adventures of dyno dog pinto

Thanks

Re: The adventures of dyno dog pinto

Megasquirt is flakey at best and not great to map imo, Either as Graham said DTA or I've mapped quite alot of Emerald Ecu's and prefer them myself

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    having now played with mapping box on a dta, my advise is buy a dta!
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
    I will consider that as an option however I already have a Megasquirt.
    I did see that the DTA had a box with what you called “tuning wheels” on it, what do they do?
    DTA call it a 'Knobs Box' and that is exactly what it is! Its positioned between the PC and the ECU and when switched on, you select what main map you wish to adjust and you turn the knob to increase / decrease whatever parameter - Fuel of Ignition then press enter and it saves to the ecu map. I believe when you view the map on the PC it shows adjusted cells in different colour until you fix them by saving that map. I got one when I got my DTA - came as a package, used on a bike and owner also owned a Dyno so did his own set-up and a knob box without an ecu is pointless so threw it in as part of the deal. Haven't really got round to running engine yet due to irritating problems but soon!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lowscorts View Post
    Megasquirt is flakey at best and not great to map imo, Either as Graham said DTA or I've mapped quite alot of Emerald Ecu's and prefer them myself
    Emerald was my other possible 'go to' when looking as I liked the function of their software, DTA's is a bit clunky (from someone running a MoTec M8 that runs in DOS! LOL) Also looked at a Speeduino - similar
    to Megasquirt but more functional / advanced and with a degree of self learning functionality!

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

I will consider that as an option however I already have a Megasquirt.
    I did see that the DTA had a box with what you called “tuning wheels” on it, what do they do?
    ive used (but not mapped) emerald ECU's for over 20 years, and they are the original affordable standalone so i do have a bias towards using one, but it does seem the DTa has more functionality but my emerald is now old so new ones probably have more features, and i dont know the cost difference.

the knobs are "live " adjustments to the maps so you can adjust timing/ mixture whilst watching the AFR gauge/torque figure once you hit your target/most torque, hit enter and it changes the map. emerald has a similar function done using a keyboard. to me the DTA box is more intuitive, but i could never play arcade games that involved buttons i was always better given a joystick. but the DTA knob box does come at an extra cost

Pit Crew Decade Plus User onecamohv's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

The adventures of dyno dog pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    ive used (but not mapped) emerald ECU's for over 20 years, and they are the original affordable standalone so i do have a bias towards using one, but it does seem the DTa has more functionality but my emerald is now old so new ones probably have more features, and i dont know the cost difference.

the knobs are "live " adjustments to the maps so you can adjust timing/ mixture whilst watching the AFR gauge/torque figure once you hit your target/most torque, hit enter and it changes the map. emerald has a similar function done using a keyboard. to me the DTA box is more intuitive, but i could never play arcade games that involved buttons i was always better given a joystick. but the DTA knob box does come at an extra cost
    Any chance of a video of a real live demo? Seen the dta box many times, but would be really interesting if you did an explanation video with a demo! I know you're flat out, but just another idea for a video!!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Emerald was my other possible 'go to' when looking as I liked the function of their software, DTA's is a bit clunky (from someone running a MoTec M8 that runs in DOS! LOL) Also looked at a Speeduino - similar
    to Megasquirt but more functional / advanced and with a degree of self learning functionality!
    I'm running a Speeduino on my N/A Cologne and I'm quite surprised that they aren't as popular as they could be. They have regular firmware updates/upgrades and features. They have a good wiki site and a very active forum.
    Yes, they are not very everyone, as like the Megasquirt they require a LOT of homework and research for the DIYer to succeed. But for a basic N/A street engine like mine, I feel they're very hard to go past with a fully built up Speeduino between half and one third the cost of a similar featured DTA, Emerald or LINK etc .
    Would I recommend Speeduino for a big dollar competition engine? Probably not. But for someone on a tight budget they're well worth a look. If a silly old fart DIYer with no experience with EFI like me can get it to work well, then it shows they do work and work well!

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onecamohv View Post
    Any chance of a video of a real live demo? Seen the dta box many times, but would be really interesting if you did an explanation video with a demo! I know you're flat out, but just another idea for a video!!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    nice idea, unfortunately i don't have a DTA to do a demo on! the DTA, loom injectors ITBs all belonged to the engines owner and have now gone back with the engine, so the only thing i have is the knob box!

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

i fit a cracked head to dyno dog! PS i didnt know it was cracked

https://youtu.be/vzh0evTBJ1c

then i tried 3 different twin choke and a Holley 4 barrel

https://youtu.be/-lTpMV56xpI
    Last edited by Graham; 29-09-2022 at 07:24.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

I was watching the vid and thought that Holley is waaaay to much carb for that little engine considering what they are usually spec'd for - their fuel delivery is agricultural to say the least - and so it was! Just goes to show though, decent fuel delivery even with big bore carbs at 1 choke / cylinder wasn't too big in comparison to make power - Good Video!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to katana For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

New episode and 'new' dyno dog - stout output for what it was! You do realise that, you'll start a rush to find std. 2.0 Cortina Manifolds now LOL!
    From memory Ford claimed only 108hp for the RS2000 so your result wasn't far off. The xflow didn't sound in good health though - very tired I think

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Miniliteman For This Useful Post:

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

New episode and 'new' dyno dog - stout output for what it was! You do realise that, you'll start a rush to find std. 2.0 Cortina Manifolds now LOL!
    From memory Ford claimed only 108hp for the RS2000 so your result wasn't far off. The xflow didn't sound in good health though - very tired I think
    yes your right, i was amazed how well the pinto performed and just how poorly the x/flow did.
    from memory the x/flow made 105bhp @ just under 5K, which i think was pretty decent, unfortunately that was where it peaked.

the pinto has already received a few mods, ashley 4,2,1 BLF 32;33 cam, then a pair of 40 DCOES, but that has to appear in classic ford before i can go public on that
    Last edited by Graham; 09-12-2022 at 18:50.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

just incase anyone missed Leons link theres a new dyno dog in town!

https://youtu.be/J2c1BzAmVYU

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Most of the videos you have done seem to be twin choke downdraft and twin 45 DCOE and am wondering if 40 DCOE’s have a limited window of opportunity given that the downdraft twin choke can produce good numbers.

also do 40 DCOE’s work better on other engines?

just curiosity on my part.

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Most of the videos you have done seem to be twin choke downdraft and twin 45 DCOE and am wondering if 40 DCOE’s have a limited window of opportunity given that the downdraft twin choke can produce good numbers.

also do 40 DCOE’s work better on other engines?

just curiosity on my part.
    intesting thought paul, For whatever reason the pinto likes 45's, even a standard one will make more power on 45's.

you are correct 40's have limited benefit on a pinto very roughly speaking they are only worth around 10bhp over a twinchoke, that said low and midrang torque will go up by more than the top end power increase. that said if high rpm power isnt your goal and max driveability is then 40's are a better choice than 45;s

as for other engines yes a pair of 40's on a lotus twincam, BDA or even an XE are quite capable of delivering more power than a pinto will give on them, but those are all engine that tend to use rpm to make power
    Last edited by Graham; 11-12-2022 at 13:20.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Graham - Latest Junkyard Dyno Dog installment was very entertaining - relatively 'low' cost mods to get decent output. The bit after the cam timing correction had a peculiar noise (@ 9:20) - a definite idle miss @ 900 rpm?
    MORE PLS !

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Graham - Latest Junkyard Dyno Dog installment was very entertaining - relatively 'low' cost mods to get decent output. The bit after the cam timing correction had a peculiar noise (@ 9:20) - a definite idle miss @ 900 rpm?
    MORE PLS !
    hate to disappoint, but i have 1000s of dyno runs on video, so whilst video footage will be from the correct test it may not be the actual run shown in the power/torque dials, the "live" power torque numbers i show are usually data replayed from the dyno software. i also dont put much effort into slow running stuff as it has no baring on ultimate power

+ Reply to Thread