User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this normal Big End Shell wear?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Is this normal Big End Shell wear?

Can someone please confirm if this is normal shell wear for a very low mileage Pinto?

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Is this normal Big End Shell wear?

It's not terrible as the marks don't seem like really bad scores, but it's not great for a low mileage engine. Are they King Bearings?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HonkyWhiteTrash For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Is this normal Big End Shell wear?

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyWhiteTrash View Post
    It's not terrible as the marks don't seem like really bad scores, but it's not great for a low mileage engine. Are they King Bearings?
    I have no idea what they are as the engine was built for me. Just thought I'd have a look while engine is out.

This was the worst looking of 2 caps I removed for inspection.

There's no scores you can feel with a finger nail, in fact very lightly dragging finger nail along the bearing revealed shiny lines similar to the wear.

Are they bad enough to need replacing do you think?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RS2OOO; 15-04-2021 at 20:06.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

its nothing unusual, the marks closest to us in the picture are pretty normal start up run marks where there has been very light contact between crank and bearing, perfectly normal. The marks at the top of the picture are heavier, defiantly contact, possibly the shell wasnt located quite correctly, or maybe the rod wasn't it spotlessly clean where the bearing sat, but either way its had contact but it would say its now got the clearance it actually wanted, which is just fine if the shells are still a nice fit and the rods and you put them back where they came from

That bearing looks to be in very similar condition to those in my "dyno dog" pinto, i just put them back again after doing a ring change, and have put numerous warm ups and 100 odd dyno pulls on them since. Dog still has 62psi oil pressure @6000 @80 degree C oil temp on a bog standard untouched oil pump
    Last edited by Graham; 16-04-2021 at 06:40.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    its nothing unusual, the marks closest to us in the picture are pretty normal start up run marks where there has been very light contact between crank and bearing, perfectly normal. The marks at the top of the picture are heavier, defiantly contact, possibly the shell wasnt located quite correctly, or maybe the rod wasn't it spotlessly clean where the bearing sat, but either way its had contact but it would say its now got the clearance it actually wanted, which is just fine if the shells are still a nice fit and the rods and you put them back where they came from

That bearing looks to be in very similar condition to those in my "dyno dog" pinto, i just put them back again after doing a ring change, and have put numerous warm ups and 100 odd dyno pulls on them since. Dog still has 62psi oil pressure @6000 @80 degree C oil temp on a bog standard untouched oil pump
    Thank you Graham.

Wish I'd joined this forum years ago - the detailed knowledge and insight is incredible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RS2OOO For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread