User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlas slipper springs 4 link

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Atlas slipper springs 4 link

Hi, I have a Capri atlas on my MK2,the saddles are fitted at level which the diff at 4 degrees up.as the book states. The 4 link bars are attached at saddles level and diff up 4 degrees.when I come to tighten up the u bolts on the slipper springs I get a v between the saddles and spring as if the saddles want to be lower at the front. This can be removed by continued winding up of the u bolts but instead of pulling the spring up to meet the saddle it winds the axle down(by putting a load of pressure through the 4 link bushes) and losing my 4 degrees up diff as it obviously rotates that down.am I missing something, please call me stupid if required but only following good advice. I have checked and double checked with a digital level that the saddles are fitted as stated.thanks in advance.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Re: Atlas slipper springs 4 link

Forget about the 4 degrees, just mount the axle in a way that the diff nose points exactly at the gearbox.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miniliteman View Post
    Forget about the 4 degrees, just mount the axle in a way that the diff nose points exactly at the gearbox.
    Thanks for the reply I have the diff pointing at the box fine set on the 4 link arms all is well.its only when I try to fit the slipper springs it all goes wrong.i could set it as it is and remove the slippers and refit them pointing down more at the front to stop them pulling down to meet the spring it just seems wrong to do it because if I purchased another atlas axle I would have to do the same to that.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks for the reply I have the diff pointing at the box fine set on the 4 link arms all is well.its only when I try to fit the slipper springs it all goes wrong.i could set it as it is and remove the slippers and refit them pointing down more at the front to stop them pulling down to meet the spring it just seems wrong to do it because if I purchased another atlas axle I would have to do the same to that.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I have just put the digital level on the spring baseplates before winding the u bolts up tight and with the saddle level the spring base plates (spring below the saddle)is pointing down 5.5 degrees.anyone with slipper springs can you remember how your married up. Thanks.

Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Two things: we never weld the axle-saddle to the axle.
    And have you checked that the slipper springs can move forward in the front mounting (rollers)?

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Great advice from miniliteman
    Last edited by OPPOSITELOCK; 25-04-2021 at 12:50.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Exactly

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Why don't you bolt up your axle to the springs with the the four link bars not attached, then adjust your Rose Joints as required. Finally take a look at what the pinion angle is, it should be obvious to the naked eye as to whether it's correct or not.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

By saddles I don't mean the bolted on plate for the spring I mean the saddle /bracket that welds to the axle tube with the location hole for the leaf spring. I have taken off the link bars for now and locating the springs on the bracket on the axle gives me a 1.5 degree downwards pointing diff which I suppose it was bound to if the springs had a 5.5 degree angle down and my diffs set 4 up. And can move the springs in the slipper bush freely till they meet the car and back again it doesn't alter what's happening. I'm beginning to wonder about the springs. If you could imagine been able to lower the rear shackle or raise the front slipper bush to level things up is what I mean.they are gartrac hangers and slipper bush.and the springs are 2" decamber single gartrac.which both point down the same amount so you would say both springs couldn't be faulty.i seem to have the option of removing the brackets and changing the angle of the diff that way or slinging the whole lot and fitting coilovers. Cheers for the advice I'm sure I'm just been stupid.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi I have tried this but once the springs are attached I can adjust the links to suit but the diff is pointing down.and I can't jack the front of the axle up against the springs to get the diff angle and then fit the link bars.cheers.

Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdearl View Post
    By saddles I don't mean the bolted on plate for the spring I mean the saddle /bracket that welds to the axle tube with the location hole for the leaf spring.
    Don't weld that saddle/bracket to the axle, that way you can rotate the axle "on" the springs.
    Anything Gartrac is good!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Don't weld that saddle/bracket to the axle, that way you can rotate the axle "on" the springs. Anything Gartrac is good!
    So you don't weld the brackets to the axle tube and the 4 link will stop the tubes rotating on the spring clamps not the welded on bracket? That is starting to turn on a lightbulb a dim one but a lightbulb nevertheless.i suppose then I will want a watts system to stop the tubes sliding through the brackets sideways if you don't weld them to the tube.cheers.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdearl View Post
    By saddles I don't mean the bolted on plate for the spring I mean the saddle /bracket that welds to the axle tube with the location hole for the leaf spring. I have taken off the link bars for now and locating the springs on the bracket on the axle gives me a 1.5 degree downwards pointing diff which I suppose it was bound to if the springs had a 5.5 degree angle down and my diffs set 4 up. And can move the springs in the slipper bush freely till they meet the car and back again it doesn't alter what's happening. I'm beginning to wonder about the springs. If you could imagine been able to lower the rear shackle or raise the front slipper bush to level things up is what I mean.they are gartrac hangers and slipper bush.and the springs are 2" decamber single gartrac.which both point down the same amount so you would say both springs couldn't be faulty.i seem to have the option of removing the brackets and changing the angle of the diff that way or slinging the whole lot and fitting coilovers. Cheers for the advice I'm sure I'm just been stupid.
    I know what spring saddles are, a similar shape to one on a Horse.

If you aren't happy with their position then you maybe have no option but to grind the weld off and start again. Have you tried it with the weight of the car on the spring to see if it makes any difference?

I would forget coilovers if you have got this far. I have never had or seen a Rally Car where the spring saddles aren't welded on to the axle tube. You could always leave them free for a Dummy build and then once you're satisfied the angle's correct then weld them back on.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_rallying View Post
    I know what spring saddles are, a similar shape to one on a Horse. If you aren't happy with their position then you maybe have no option but to grind the weld off and start again. Have you tried it with the weight of the car on the spring to see if it makes any difference? I would forget coilovers if you have got this far. I have never had or seen a Rally Car where the spring saddles aren't welded on to the axle tube. You could always leave them free for a Dummy build and then once you're satisfied the angle's correct then weld them back on.
    Thanks for the reply. It's looking like it's a grind off and reset to match the springs.i have emailed gartrac to see out of interest if their single slippers are meant to angle the axle pinion down. Because fitting them to the axle with (the book) settings of axle saddle and 4 link diamond and damper brackets at level, then both verticall. tilts diamond and damper brackets to the front of the car as obviously the saddle/axle tilts down to meet the spring angle...all wrong ahhh. Cheers for your help.

+ Reply to Thread