User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1300 xflow won't run right

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

1300 xflow won't run right

My 1300 xflow in my MK1 Fiesta won't run right, i've replaced the coil, dizzy, plugs and leads to try and solve the issue but no luck, The problem is this, i've got all the leads in the correct firing order, managed to get the timing set because the car will tick over, but when i rev the engine, i'm getting popping/banging from the exhaust and the odd flame out the carb, it's running like it's badly out of time or the leads were all on the wrong way, but they're not. Not sure what to look at next, this engine was running fine at one point.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: 1300 xflow won't run right

Could be valve clearances? Also could be fuel supply / carb problem?

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

What's the firing order you have? X flows should be 1243. If I were a betting Man that's were I would be looking for a result.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I definitely have the firing order correct 1243 counter clockwise, but i have recently done the valve clearances because i did the headgasket, the car did run normal on a brief run a few weeks back though, i took it for the mot and it was misfiring on the way there, but ran ok on the way home, but then the problem came back and hasn't been right since. Carb was new when fitted a few years back, but has barely done any miles, probably less than 100.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Right, so i just went out and checked the valve clearances and they were miles out, i'd used a new feeler guage instead of the one i usually use and must have got them wrong, anyway, i just thought i had found the problem, so i did them properly (i think) and cleaned the plugs, it ran for a while, revved ok, but then gradually it went back to popping and banging out the exhaust and spitting out the carb, so back to square one.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

New carb or old makes no different if fuel has gone bad / dried out and clogged jets. Modern unleaded with ethanol sucks water vapour out of the air and does no good just sitting in float bowls, lack of use exacerbates the situation.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I've just cleaned the carb out, still no good, i cleaned the plugs again, managed to get it started and ticking over, but if i apply any high revvs, it backfires and spits either fuel or flames out of the carb.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Is it still on points ignition? If so, try replacing the condensor.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

No mate it's on an accuspark electric dizzy.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

It's changed a bit now, just been and started it up, had it ticking over for ages, kept revving it hard, now most of the misfire has gone, but the engine is still jittery, oh and the plugs are not sooting up now. I think whatever is causing it is something simple, when it first hapened, it went away for a while, then came back, now it seems to have smoothed out a bit, but it's not perfect, still something not right.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Assume this is still on std. jets in carb? Otherwise any mods that would require jetting changes? Std and clean air filter - some engines won't run clean without filter and airbox in place! Is there a fuel filter in place and is it clean? I still think its carb related!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Try running it with no fuel filler cap, it may have a tank ventilation problem. Cheap and easy to try
    Are we there yet?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

You could also try a self purge of the carburettor: run the engine ‘til hot, take the air cleaner box off, rev the engine and hold the speed at approximately 3000rpm or so, while at that speed place the palm of your hand completely over the intake, the engine will try to suck your hand and you into itself. Obviously it won’t. Keeping the throttle in the position (3000rpm worth) wait the few short moments until a stall is imminent then remove your palm. Usually the engine will recover speed to the former. Let the engine assume idle. You have just “self purged” the carburettor.

This is a good “first stop alternative” to stripping and cleaning the carburettor, and other than solid matter, this will purge most carbs first time.

Let me know have you go on with it
    Are we there yet?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I took the carb apart and blasted all the jets and holes with carb cleaner, still no good i'm afraid.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

If i ruled out carb, dizzy, leads and plugs, what would the next thing to suspect? the engine itself?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

are all the plug leads push properly home in the distributor cap? i see a lot of HT leads where the boot which seals the lead to the cap is too close to the end of the lead, which results in the metal contact not going far enough in the cap ( or coil ) and you end up with a weak spark

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I think so, but i'll certainly check just to be sure.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Well it had a little try at starting but no good, i think it may be something wrong with the engine

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    are all the plug leads push properly home in the distributor cap? i see a lot of HT leads where the boot which seals the lead to the cap is too close to the end of the lead, which results in the metal contact not going far enough in the cap ( or coil ) and you end up with a weak spark
    Graham, you get an excessively strong spark in those conditions, remember the voltage spike on your Sun/Krypton analyser oscilloscope from all those years ago when you had a failed HT lead, and you could see which cylinder was misfiring?
    Are we there yet?

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchenstein View Post
    Graham, you get an excessively strong spark in those conditions, remember the voltage spike on your Sun/Krypton analyser oscilloscope from all those years ago when you had a failed HT lead, and you could see which cylinder was misfiring?
    you will get a massive voltage build in the king lead/coil, but trust me the spark at the plugs is practically non existent when it has to jump a 10+mm gap to reach the lead most of having leaked away, ive seen it many times, even had cars which wont run right trailered hundreds of miles to me, only for me to spend 3 mins to push the boots back up the leads and the leads further in the cap and fix it.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I once had a similar problem with a hillclimb XFlow powered Mallock. We tried everything in the paddock to get it to run right, but couldn't find the cause of the misfire. I ended up abandoning the meeting. When I got it home I discovered one of the leads to the ignition switch to be barely hanging on (spade connector)...something I never checked.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User GavinR's Avatar
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    No mate it's on an accuspark electric dizzy.
    Could be a dodgy Accuspark module?
    GavinR

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/signaturepics/sigpic2999_8.gif

Bodger

Thanks

Fit an aldon 103fxy distributor, lumenition and a lucas coil, decent quality silicone leads. Hi. Never had a problem using tried and tested stuff. Accuspark!!!! heard nothing but problems from that stuff.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

So far i have done the following:

New dizzy and coil
    new leads
    new plugs
    and this weekend as a last resort i fitted another 1300 engine and a different carb, but still the car has the same symptoms, i know people don't rate the accuspark stuff, but the accuspark dizzy i replaced wasn't that old, i only bought a new one to rule that out, i can't see me being unlucky enough to have two duff distributors, not really sure what to do next, i've tried pretty much everything i can think of.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    So far i have done the following:

New dizzy and coil
    new leads
    new plugs
    and this weekend as a last resort i fitted another 1300 engine and a different carb, but still the car has the same symptoms, i know people don't rate the accuspark stuff, but the accuspark dizzy i replaced wasn't that old, i only bought a new one to rule that out, i can't see me being unlucky enough to have two duff distributors, not really sure what to do next, i've tried pretty much everything i can think of.
    You need to fit an old distributor with a set of points, that'll eliminate any electronic ignition problems.

Does the the rotor arm sit fully Home on the distributor shaft? I have had problems there with accuspark type systems.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

I'd also be looking at the advance curve of the distributor. If it runs fine at idle, but misses at high revs,it could well be the advance mechanism is faulty/rusty/stuck etc.

As a general rule, the ignition timing should be at 30 odd degrees well into the rev range. If it doesn't reach that, the spitting problem could well be related to the distributor.

Simon

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runoutofrigos View Post
    I'd also be looking at the advance curve of the distributor. If it runs fine at idle, but misses at high revs,it could well be the advance mechanism is faulty/rusty/stuck etc.

As a general rule, the ignition timing should be at 30 odd degrees well into the rev range. If it doesn't reach that, the spitting problem could well be related to the distributor.

Simon
    over the years ive had plenty of distributors that have thrown a wobbly and caused a lot of random missfires/backfires

+ Reply to Thread