User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk3 Capri BOB Turbo

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Mk3 Capri BOB Turbo

Hi everyone

Been lurking here on and off for years. Lots on useful info, helpful users, overall great forum.
    Since im getting close to finishing my latest upgrade, thought id share. Maybe someone can get inspiration or ideas.

Some backstory: In 2007 I got to the point in my life that i could afford a hobby car. Since my brother is a big Ford guy, it had to be a Ford.
    For me the ultimate Ford would have been a Mk3 Taunus Coupe, but already back then there werent very many on the market so the next best thing was a Capri.
    So we found one in Germany and got it imported to Estonia.
    From the factory it was a 2.3s, 4speed.
    I think 2008 the car got its first upgrade....2.8i (shortblock from a sierra, EFI intake from scorpio and ECU VEMS) and a 5speed T9.
    2015 another upgrade to Cosworth V6...gotta love the ford approach, 26 years newer engine and in regards of engine mounts, gearbox and driveshaft, it was a direct fit.

IMAG0576.1.jpg
    20160724_155737.1.jpg

And now in 2021, something that should get the heart going on another level.
    IMAG1410.1.jpg
    IMAG1507.1.jpg

The star of the show: Pulsar GTX3076R GEN2 (double ballbearing, billet compressor, inconel turbine)

44mm WG, 50mm BOW, 520x235x65 intercooler, 950cc injectors, custom fuel rail, custom manifolds, crank brace, ARP rod bolts, ARP head and main studs.

Since i dont have AC and the car being LHD, the most logical place for the turbo was on the right side.
    So the alternator had to move over and the powersteering is eventually going to be electric.

To be continued....
    2x 82' Capri

2. The Following User Says Thank You to laur For This Useful Post:

Spanner Monkey

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Mk3 Capri BOB Turbo

that should go very well

My 1st Project
    Thanks

That looks like a cracking project!!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

The engine is in, runs but some things still left to get finished.

To my suprise a Sachs SRE ...765 pressure plate, made for BMW E34 M5, is a direct fit on a Ford flywheel.
    Clutch disc itself is a used one that I had refurbished locally with new covers.
    I had the max clampload measured @ 1300kg, witch creates a problem...you wont be releasing that clutch with a cable.
    Had to test that out witch ended with pulling theT9 apart 3 or 4 times. Because im a MAN, and i dont read instructions

So cylinders it is. Having a go at making my own version of a pedalbox that attaches on original mounting spots and
    also has brackets to mount a corsa electric powersteering. There's not much room to play with.
    Pretty much finished and installed, as soon as the car starts to move under its own power I can start testing that.

Transmission is MT75 with a Transit output flange so I can run the driveshaft without the rubber coupler, weŽll see how that works out.
    Rear axle is standard Atlas with a 3.44? welded diff. I want to see how it holds up, but I also have a 8.8 rear axle out of a Explorer on the way.
    Hopefully the driveshaft gets made in a week or two. In the mean time I can hopefully figure out the last piece of the puzzle, fuel system.
    And after that I can start testing everything out. 4 weeks til the first drag racing event that I would like to get the car out to.
    Its still going be a street car, just not this year.
    2x 82' Capri

6. The Following User Says Thank You to laur For This Useful Post:

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

The 765 is a well tried clutch here in Sweden. I still hope a 695 will work for me and my cable clutch, seems fine so far.

Making the pedal box is a bit fiddly but not too bat, I built mine for MGF EPAS and a brake bias box but I am preparing for hydraulic clutch - I have a couple of late MT-75's with hydraulic throwout bearings as spare gearboxes if I decide to leave the T5 behind.

Nice to see another BO turbo. It has been over 15 years since we boosted a BOA here in Sweden and it was a nice engine.

Gustaf

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Finally managed to get to the dyno today....260kw and 441nm at the wheels.
    Boost is set to come on at 3K rpm 0.2 bar and by 4K ramps up to 0.7 bar.
    260.jpg
    Its fast, but not scary fast. I need to fix some issues, mainly the turbo drain seems to be at a to shallow angle or to small tube,
    smokes badly when coming off boost.
    After these issues get fixed, maybe turn up to 1 bar and come on a tad bit earlier.
    2x 82' Capri

Thanks

turbo looks high enough to drain ok, just do a decent 5/8" steel drain until it's clear of any heat then regular oil hose to the sump above the level of oil.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

is standard compression ratio? good results for this boost. are you using regular petrol or e85?

I had a bob installed on my sierra and bought all parts to turbo it, but a conrod bearing problem damaged all (@6500rpm), they were new with less than 3k milles. I liked it a lot. But finally went to 2.0 turbo again.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Standard compression. They dont sell E85 here so im running on home brew....about 70-80 % ethanol.
    Went to a no prep drag racing event this saturday at the local airfield. Managed 13.00 @ 181 kmh on 185 street legal slicks.
    Next event in Latvia in two weeks, slightly prepped, will see what happens.
    2x 82' Capri

Thanks

Nice power but I would rather try to get more boost lower down unless you get detonation (you shouldn't with that ethanol content though).

I ran 11.99 with a 180 km/h trap speed so if you get the starts right and the traction (I was on a prepped track) you should at least get into 12's no problem.

Gustaf

+ Reply to Thread