User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pinto cam - road/targa rallying.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Pinto cam - road/targa rallying.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    yeah at least! did you look away with a wry smile? i often do when people come in here talking about there engines not realising i do a lot more than mot's, clutches etc

most i saw was 144.9Bhp, even without the "full" F2 spec i couldnt see how i was so far away from what the allegedly make. Steven tells me the best ones make an honest 155BHp, which given they cant port the heads, just a bit of work in the bowls, cant go higher than 11:1 is pretty good going and makes my number about right.
    Those F2 figures you have quoted seem pretty decent considering they are on a what's basically a std cylinder head.

Approx 40 years ago a good Road Rally Pinto engine with a BF 40/41 or Group One cam with possibly a Group One type head would make between 125 and 130 @ the wheels. There was always one claiming his was over 150 on the Rollers. There was no calculation in them days for flywheel power.

Unless you had a head done by someone like Holbay the head porting work was pretty basic as there was no information about that sort of work until Vizards book came out.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

I would just like to add, those power figures were for twins and not the silly two choke rule that came into force in 1984.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Forest_rallying For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks, i know the torque figures they dyno gives are correct, i always check the torque reading before running an engine up. and again once the engine and dyno cell are warmed up. its actually giving 166 bhp, i have seen 200 bhp on an rl31 but that was on a 2.2 bottom end with more compression and a better head than this has
    However things are progressing in the right direction…

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
    However things are progressing in the right direction…
    yes and we know absolutely what exhaust manifolds NOT to fit..............

Thanks

Currently sitting in the back of my car waiting to be sold on…

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1 View Post
    Currently sitting in the back of my car waiting to be sold on…
    best keep quiet them incase we put buyers off. anyway your other one works better, IMHO cheap ashley is still the one to go for

Bodger

Thanks

To bring this up to date slightly…with no obvious replacement cam I kind of shelved the idea of changing the cam.

I was able to fairly cheaply gather the parts needed to change the carb set up to a single 45 Dellorto on a crossover manifold. With it all changed over it went on the rolling road and made 160bhp(flywheel) and 140Ibs ft torque, these numbers are slightly down on my single IDF but I was half expecting that and I trust the figures to be genuine. The carb has 36mm chokes in it.

On driving it, I can feed the throttle in lower down than before and it’s much more compliant. The sidedraft doesn’t feel as punchy as the IDF but overall the car is smoother to drive. I could try 38mm chokes in the carb but I don’t want to lose the manners I’ve gained to chase bhp.

Will do some events in it and see how I get on.

Cheers
    Last edited by Sidways93; 24-04-2022 at 22:38.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidways93 For This Useful Post:

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sidways93 View Post
    To bring this up to date slightly…with no obvious replacement cam I kind of shelved the idea of changing the cam.

I was able to fairly cheaply gather the parts needed to change the carb set up to a single 45 Dellorto on a crossover manifold. With it all changed over it went on the rolling road and made 160bhp(flywheel) and 140Ibs ft torque, these numbers are slightly down on my single IDF but I was half expecting that and I trust the figures to be genuine. The carb has 36mm chokes in it.

On driving it, I can feed the throttle in lower down than before and it’s much more compliant. The sidedraft doesn’t feel as punchy as the IDF but overall the car is smoother to drive. I could try 38mm chokes in the carb but I don’t want to lose the manners I’ve gained to chase bhp.

Will do some events in it and see how I get on.

Cheers
    it might be worth trying some 37 chokes, if the chokes are holding it back to ant real extent that small increase will show a decent jump in power.

Bodger

Thanks

it might be worth trying some 37 chokes, if the chokes are holding it back to ant real extent that small increase will show a decent jump in power.
    Cheers, I may try this or the 38s that I have at some point, ran out of time at the rollers and if possible I try and drive the car after each major change rather than just rolling road to see the all round difference. I’ve just pm’d/emailed you on a related note.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread