User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2.8 Cologne Vale stem silliness.

Bodger

Thanks

2.8 Cologne Vale stem silliness.

So I’m rebuilding my 2.8 V6 and the valve guides were shot, I bought a Reamer and an oversize set of valves set about, upon dismantling I found the valve seats were beyond saving, so I sourced another good pair of heads instead, valve stem wear was well within tolerance so this seemed a better option.

Im now at the point of stripping the new heads and getting parts ordered, I have a set of inlet valve stem seals which seem to fit 3 of my four heads absolutely fine (first picture), but not one of my new heads.

now there are different seals for inlet and exhaust valves, and have different stem seats accordingly, but one of my new heads has the larger exhaust valve stem seats on the whole head???? (Second and third picture) I can’t find any different type of inlet valve stem seal to fit????

any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: 2.8 Cologne Vale stem silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabblink View Post
    So I’m rebuilding my 2.8 V6 and the valve guides were shot, I bought a Reamer and an oversize set of valves set about, upon dismantling I found the valve seats were beyond saving, so I sourced another good pair of heads instead, valve stem wear was well within tolerance so this seemed a better option.

Im now at the point of stripping the new heads and getting parts ordered, I have a set of inlet valve stem seals which seem to fit 3 of my four heads absolutely fine (first picture), but not one of my new heads.

now there are different seals for inlet and exhaust valves, and have different stem seats accordingly, but one of my new heads has the larger exhaust valve stem seats on the whole head???? (Second and third picture) I can’t find any different type of inlet valve stem seal to fit????

any ideas?

No pictures showing bud. I think that'll be down to using Tapatalk. This forum doesn't seem to like it.

Thanks

I don't see any pictures either.

There are three different castings for the european 2.8 cologne V6, all with different machined valve guide ends.

The 77TM castings, on which these rubber or nylon hats were used for inlet and outlet.

The 79TM castings, where inlet and outlet were different machined. Inlet with "real" stem seals, outlet with hats.

The 84TM castings, were both guide ends were machined to take real stem seals, however, on early engines there had been nylon hats on the exhaust valves.

All heads are interchangeable without any problems, the 84TM heads are available as an unleaded version.
    Last edited by Willi; 22-01-2022 at 10:49.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

IMO, unless you have a machine shop and all the tooling to change guides and ream/cut seats as necessary....then give the heads to a reputable shop and let them do the job.
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stevieturbo For This Useful Post:

Bodger

Thanks

2.8 Cologne Vale stem silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
    IMO, unless you have a machine shop and all the tooling to change guides and ream/cut seats as necessary....then give the heads to a reputable shop and let them do the job.
    I do happen to have access to such a shop 👍🏻

Bodger

Thanks

Had bronze valve guide sleeves fitted on my 2.8 head.

+ Reply to Thread