User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000e or Type 3

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

2000e or Type 3

A little advice for a mk2 cortina

which gearbox is better for a warmed (boardering hot) xflow?

have both in the shed and will rebuild before fitting.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: 2000e or Type 3

2000e

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Especially if it higher ratio 1st gear one
    They not all same

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Depends which mk2 cortina you have - 2000e was fitted to early mk2's, an early version of the type 3 was fitted to later mk2's.

There are a few types of the type 3 gearbox - you need to make sure you've got an early one with a short input shaft.

After all that, you need to make sure whichever gearbox you fit has the ratios you want!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

2000e gear lever is in a slightly different position to type 3 and the early and late mk2 cortinas reflect this by having the gear lever hole in the tunnel in slightly different places. Also, the type 3 found in mk2 cortinas is shorter on the back end so you need a longer propshaft and vice versa with a 2000e.

2000e gearbox has a way better shift but the gearbox internals are no stronger than the type 3. 150 bhp is probably the safe limit for either gearbox with hard driving.

Will you be using the original mk2 cortina bellhousing?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HonkyWhiteTrash For This Useful Post:

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

The 2000e box is a standard series 1 cortina box complete with bellhousing etc. The type 3 is also all complete. Prop shaft shouldn’t be a problem, can put my hands on a series 1 shaft with no trouble.

Would the type 3 slave and fork etc fit straight over if I used the 2000e bell housing, or am I better to swap the bell housings?

Thanks again

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leaks Oil View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

The 2000e box is a standard series 1 cortina box complete with bellhousing etc. The type 3 is also all complete. Prop shaft shouldn’t be a problem, can put my hands on a series 1 shaft with no trouble.

Would the type 3 slave and fork etc fit straight over if I used the 2000e bell housing, or am I better to swap the bell housings?

Thanks again
    No problem.

Unless you plan on cutting the gearbox tunnel you'll need to use the gearbox that suits the shell. Series 1 and series 2 tunnels are different size, and they have the hole for the lever sat in different positions.

Mk2 cortina belhousing is individual to that car and non of the parts work on anything else, they only work with that bellhousing - that includes fork, release bearing and slave cylinder. You'll need the relevant master cylinder to work with whichever slave you use as they're different bore size slaves depending on which mk2 cortina clutch you use (standard crossflow or large diameter Lotus) as far as I can remember.

I'm not sure what you're planning or mean by 2000e bellhousing as a proper 2000e bellhousing was fitted to a Corsair 2000e and that had a V4 engine so that won't fit a crossflow or pre crossflow engine as found in mk2 cortinas.

+ Reply to Thread