User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RetroFord Cast sump leak query!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

RetroFord Cast sump leak query!

I've done a Zetec swap into my RS2000 - its been in there for about 8 years but only recently got round to running it - for a short time. Ever since its suffered an oil drip / weep sufficient to make a patch, about palm sized, on newspaper in 24hrs! I had the car up on stands on Wednesday and thought i'd tracked it down to the dipstick tube adaptor into the RetroFord cast sump, so drained the oil and had the adaptor out, cleaned threads, added PTFE tape, re-annealed the copper washer and re-assembled . . . . . . only to find another oil patch on Thursday! The adapter screw is below normal oil level so its gonna leak is joint is 'iffy'. Any suggestions on how to fix or what i've done wrong ? ? ?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Re: RetroFord Cast sump leak query!

Hi I've got the same sump. I'm sure there is an aluminium crush washer between the dipstick holder and the sump casting. Atleast there is on mine. Maybe worth checking yours and fitting one if it's missing.

Trev

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

No crush washer on mine! Would have expected something . . . . . maybe that's why I put a copper washer in there - which didn't work even when annealed and soft!
    The bugger of it is you have to drop the oil every time to change / check it! Dave at Retroford never even bothered to reply to my query !

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Not that I know anything about it, but looking at pics of the RF sump the dipstick tube goes down inside the tube that comes out of the sump then does it? Could you not put a bit of rtv/silicone around the bottom where is pushes in?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rallyrob For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    Not that I know anything about it, but looking at pics of the RF sump the dipstick tube goes down inside the tube that comes out of the sump then does it? Could you not put a bit of rtv/silicone around the bottom where is pushes in?
    Rob - the oil isn't coming out of the dipstick tube where the dipstick sits inside. The RF sump has a screwed in adaptor that forms the above tube - its the junction between the adapter and the cast sump where the leak occurs. It just happens that it is below the static oil level in the sump so will always leak if there isn't a form of gasket / seal in place . . . . i've just got to find the right one LOL!

Just looking at the RF websites sump section I noticed this . . . . https://www.retroford.co.uk/wp-conte...09/Z00720A.jpg and this . . . . . https://www.retroford.co.uk/wp-conte...09/Z00720E.jpg
    The dipstick tube in the first pic is over the drain plug, the second the tube is in the opposite side ! ! ! Mine is as the 2nd pic. I wonder why the change as the first position puts the dipstick through the ex. manifold location ! Very Odd!

Thanks

Ok.

Yea I was reading through it again last night and looking at pictures I found online of the sump I realised that's what you meant really!

This might sound a bit drastic but is it not feasible to either Araldite or use some J.B Weld or something similar to make the adaptor tube a bit more permanently fixed where it goes in the sump? Just a thought really.

This would surely indicate they have a left-hand drive and a right-hand drive sump.

https://www.retroford.co.uk/product/...wet-sump-z007/.

We put an ST170 in my daughter's fella's car about 3 years ago now, an Mk2 Sierra. He used a Neil Dunn steel sump, that thing leaks so much oil you never even have to worry about doing oil changes!

Mind you it might also have something to do with the 100k engine that we used and he refused to take my advice and change any of the oil seals on it!! But where ever it's coming from it leaks like a bloody sieve
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-08-2022 at 09:20.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Good theory re LHD and RHD . . . . . . but the head don't change so dipstick same whichever side you drive
    Araldite / JB Weld is a bit 'too permanent' just to stop an annoying leak! Plus, if you don't totally clean the threads and surfaces of old oil - it'll still leak but look gash at the same time LOL!

Thanks

Maybe RF is making an unnecessary allowance for the steering column? Ok, yea well I did think that too, about the Araldite/J B Weld. But it was just a suggestion.

Maybe try any alley washer rather than the copper one as per

Quote Originally Posted by gotty101 View Post
    I'm sure there is an aluminium crush washer between the dipstick holder and the sump casting. At least there is on mine.Trev
    You've nothing to lose that way.
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-08-2022 at 10:10.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katana View Post
    Rob - the oil isn't coming out of the dipstick tube where the dipstick sits inside.
    I was more thinking it's coming out between what I would call the upper and lower dipstick tube sections. It could be just travelling the short distance up the lower tube section from the sump level and leaking there at the join between the two.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
    I was more thinking it's coming out between what I would call the upper and lower dipstick tube sections. It could be just travelling the short distance up the lower tube section from the sump level and leaking there at the join between the two.
    Its not particularly 'short' - from the sump fitting face to the top of that tube is about 5" / 125mm and even if the lower end is 1" / 25mm under the static oil level, it would require oil to flow up the tube against gravity for 4" / 100mm. I know capillary action is good but not that good LOL! I'll have to get some alloy washers - question is what size is it or do I drain it yet again to measure ! ! ! Another interesting side note - the pics on RF don't show alloy washers but 3No copper ones - I can't figure where the 3rd would go ?

Thanks

Slightly different maybe but my Type 9 has got a brass union brazed in the lid and a breather pipe on it. It is small in diameter, about 4-5mm id. It kept chucking oil out of it. I ended up with a pipe off it running right up to the heater bubble/plenum and back down again. I've seen the oil level up the pipe probably 12" from the gearbox.

Even a bit of rtv around the lower tube section tread should help it. Lol. But you'll still have to drain the oil again.
    Last edited by rallyrob; 11-08-2022 at 16:34.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Moving oil and pressurisation I could understand but this engine hasn't run in two years!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

The 3 washers I think are. One for the sump plug. One for the dipstick take off and wasn't there one for the blank for the other dipstick option on the other side? It's been a while since I've done mine (not filled with oil yet)

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Can't say I even remember a dipstick take-off position on opposite side ! ! ! I did fit the engine 8 years ago, so many lost brain cells since then LOL!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotty101 View Post
    The 3 washers I think are. One for the sump plug. One for the dipstick take off and wasn't there one for the blank for the other dipstick option on the other side? It's been a while since I've done mine (not filled with oil yet)
    Yip, that’s what I got last year.

Mine is running and doesn’t leak.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

You could always try a Dowty washer that are used in hydraulic systems. Failing that a decent thread sealer should do the the job and if you don’t ever need to remove the tube good old fashioned Loctite on the threads will seal your leak.

+ Reply to Thread