User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About to start car but starter didn't engage

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

About to start car but starter didn't engage

What a palava! I tried to turn the engine over for the first time and the starter didn't engage with the flywheel. I'm using a turbosport flywheel in my duratec build. I called them and they didn't know what starter to use.
    I'm using a Mondeo starter and on the bench it looked fine. The Fiesta st flywheel is the wrong depth as this was my first option, my problem here is the gear cannot reach the ring gear of the flywheel. I need a longer reach starter motor.

Anyone on here used the turbosport flywheels? I purchased it ages ago and reading reviews... Well I wish i hadn't.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: About to start car but starter didn't engage

Not to worry. I got it working with a new one. Looks like the Mondeo starter had a bad solenoid.

Bodger

Thanks

Re: About to start car but starter didn't engage

What flywheel sellers are not telling you is, that there are 2 types of Duratec flywheels: I call them 'Ford' type and 'Mazda' type.
    The only difference between them is the fore-aft position of the ring gear ie distance fom back-of-block.
    So you must use a Mazda starter with a Mazda flywheel, and a Ford starter with a Ford flywheel.
    So if your starter won't engage, try the other type starter.
    As a double check, measure the distance of your ring gear from the back-of-block, then on the bench, measure how far the starter pinion throws out when you energise it with a battery.
    Then it is easy to work out if it will engage or not by comparing the 2 dimensions.
    Most of the aftermarket flywheels I have seen have all had 'Ford' ring gear position but they never mention that it must be matched with a Ford type starter, or that you should cross-check ring gear position with your starter as above.
    Sadly they haven't done their market research very thoroughly.
    Hope this clears up the starter mystery.
    Cheers.
    Roger.

+ Reply to Thread