User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mk1 Rear Axle

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Mk1 Rear Axle

Hi Folks.

Ok so go easy as I’m new on here. I’ve recently bought a big wing steel arched Mk1 with totally standard English axle etc. The previous owner has put on single leaf rear springs, and for the life of me maybe it’s so obvious I’m completely blind but the springs seem to have negative camber bending up the way at the axle location. Now as I’m no expert can someone explain how lowering blocks work etc as there seems to be none on the axle and when jacked up there is zero give or sag on the suspension. I don’t know what I’m missing but to me the axle will always be at the same height only the camber of the spring will change depending on thickness of blocks used?.

imI hope this makes some sense. I’ve a picture but not sure how to post?.

Cheers. Gus

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Mk1 Rear Axle

Negative camber springs are used to lower a car's height / stance without using lowering blocks. As the spring is fitted below the axle, blocks can be fitted between it and the spring, effectively raising its height relative to the spring but pushing the spring (and consequentially the body) closer to the ground ie. lower the car. Big or tall 'lowering blocks introduce their own problems as the axle perched up above the spring can 'rock' back and forth in operation putting torsion into the spring and changing suspension handling charateristics - so not good! A de-cambered spring still acts as a spring, although IMO, a bit harsher, but has a lower static height so doesn't need the lowering blocks.

You'll also notice that as Mk1's only had 2" / 50mm wide springs, the fronts of the single leaf's - universally fitted to mk2's only - will have the body mount eye shaved down in width to fit. Something to be considered if you want to revert to normal cambered springs!
    Last edited by katana; 06-12-2022 at 11:33.

+ Reply to Thread