User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlas CWP newly installed; check out the wear pattern....

Thanks

Atlas CWP newly installed; check out the wear pattern....

Hello.

I installed a new CWP- set this winter and have been testing it in the streets 3-4 times this spring. First time I experienced a loud whine at 60 mph. It's a little more quiet now, but still some whining: Both on- and off throttle.

Anyway- after getting the oil out, I have inspected things closer. First off, the lash felt a little tight with a warm diff. I will check it again after it cools.

This is a Rally Design 3.44 CWP set, BTW.

What I really would like input on is the wear pattern. I think it looks quite OK; maybe a bit much on the heel- side. But mostly centered at both sides.
    Never "blued" the pattern at setup; put in the stock Ford shim and its felt OK, so.... Do I need to take it apart and shim it more in or out?

Click image for larger version Name:	cwp3.jpg Views:	55 Size:	75.8 KB ID:	88483Click image for larger version Name:	cwp2.jpg Views:	53 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	88482Click image for larger version Name:	CWP1.jpg Views:	53 Size:	89.7 KB ID:	88481

Racer Decade Plus User rallyrob's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Atlas CWP newly installed; check out the wear pattern....

Quote Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
    Hello.

I installed a new CWP- set this winter and have been testing it in the streets 3-4 times this spring. First time I experienced a loud whine at 60 mph. It's a little more quiet now, but still some whining: Both on- and off throttle.

Anyway- after getting the oil out, I have inspected things closer. First off, the lash felt a little tight with a warm diff. I will check it again after it cools.

This is a Rally Design 3.44 CWP set, BTW.

What I really would like input on is the wear pattern. I think it looks quite OK; maybe a bit much on the heel- side. But mostly centered at both sides.
    Never "blued" the pattern at setup; put in the stock Ford shim and its felt OK, so.... Do I need to take it apart and shim it more in or out?

Attachment 88483Attachment 88482Attachment 88481

I'm no expert but it looks pretty good to me. As you say may be a bit high on the heel of the flat side of the crown wheel. But, it looks spot on the bevel side. Not sure how much you would re-shim it by if you were going to at all, but no more than a couple of thou though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rallyrob For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Telling from the pics... the teeth should have been through a polish process before installing? Quite deep machining marks there....

I installed a set of - well- not new; actually a bit worn- side gear bearings, too. It might be those that makes some noice. I might change them out; but the I'll have to re-shim.

Thanks

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

The machining marks may look unsightly and a 'polished' finish may be better but you've likely not paid top dollar for them and they've barely had any real running to wear-in. If they are already a bit quieter then i'd be tempted to put 1000 miles on them, then whip the cover off to check the lash whilst changing the likely contaminated oil.

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

Determining if wear of mechanical surfaces is okay or not just from looking at photos is almost impossible. Especially if in this case the CWP have done just a few miles. Setting this up without checking if all is okay is not a good idea. Haveing said all that, the wear marks don't look okay to me. If you hear a whine then it is because 2 (metal) surfaces are rubbing against eachother unless the wife is in the car ofcourse.

Thanks

Yep; they are a bit tight, and need some space. I'll change the sidegears while I'm at it, and see if thos two things - along with some miles on the road- makes a difference.

+ Reply to Thread