User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YB intake port length

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

YB intake port length

Anyone know the distance to the inlet valve from the inlet face on the head?

Looking at total runner length for bodies.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: YB intake port length

Is it really that important? And what can you adjust to get a 'theoretical ideal' figure? Most builders fret about long or short ram pipes LOL!

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I'm currently offshore with not much to do at night.

So of course, I can just wait till I get home, but I don't get much time off.

My millington runs 50dco carbs. And I want to change to bodies. Millington won't answer my emails, or Smith and Jones, I suppose serious people trying to buy will phone, but that's not really an option where I am in the world.

I notice the latest designs have injectors placed furthest away with very short trumpets.

The 52-54 xe bodies millington sell uses a 170mm manifold and it's 225mm overall, so would be interested to know what figure they came up with when added to the port length. I know the SF body is 66mm so I can get a good idea.

I spoke to jenvey and they just quoted me a set from there standard parts catalogue despite me telling him they were for a millington and virtually every millington engine I look at runs spacers. I don't understand why jenvey didn't mention them.

So I'm just looking at a starting point, whilst im offshore with a bit of time on my hands and I can play about on CAD before getting home and finding out a bit more.

Maybe just a bit of fun looking into these things.

https://www.millingtonengines.co.uk/...e-kit-complete

https://www.millingtonengines.co.uk/...hrottle-bodies

Look at the latest SBD design, same thing.

https://sbdmotorsport.co.uk/product/...ttle-body-kit/

I don't want to fit bodies and make less power than my carbs. They atomise right near the ram pipe in the middle of the air stream, which seems a lot better than the jenvey equivalent.

I'm assuming jenvey can't sell me their customer designs and I have asked if millington will sell me some, but no answer at all. It's a bit frustrating, also tried Smith and Jones, nothing.

So if anyone knows the port length. It's better than not knowing. And im sure millington placed the injector there for a good reason. Can't be the butterfly, their series 2 uses barrels built into the head.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

C20XE port length would be interesting to know.

The YB manifold is 73mm, a 50mm spacer takes it up to 223mm. That sounds better than none at all. Max size on the mani is 50mm. A 50-52mm spacer plus an SF body 52-54 will give a fairly consistent taper I think.

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

A single peak power number is not as important as a wide range of power/torque

What is your engine and what are your goals ? what application ?

Short runner will tend to make more power higher up, longer the opposite. Although given space limitations in most cars, I doubt many would ever really be able to use "long" runners anyway.

Fit what you can that has room for good air filter setup
    9.85 @ 145mph 202mph standing mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_c7fML3rw

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim View Post
    I'm currently offshore with not much to do at night.

So of course, I can just wait till I get home, but I don't get much time off.

My millington runs 50dco carbs. And I want to change to bodies. Millington won't answer my emails, or Smith and Jones, I suppose serious people trying to buy will phone, but that's not really an option where I am in the world.

I notice the latest designs have injectors placed furthest away with very short trumpets.

The 52-54 xe bodies millington sell uses a 170mm manifold and it's 225mm overall, so would be interested to know what figure they came up with when added to the port length. I know the SF body is 66mm so I can get a good idea.

I spoke to jenvey and they just quoted me a set from there standard parts catalogue despite me telling him they were for a millington and virtually every millington engine I look at runs spacers. I don't understand why jenvey didn't mention them.

So I'm just looking at a starting point, whilst im offshore with a bit of time on my hands and I can play about on CAD before getting home and finding out a bit more.

Maybe just a bit of fun looking into these things.

https://www.millingtonengines.co.uk/...e-kit-complete

https://www.millingtonengines.co.uk/...hrottle-bodies

Look at the latest SBD design, same thing.

https://sbdmotorsport.co.uk/product/...ttle-body-kit/

I don't want to fit bodies and make less power than my carbs. They atomise right near the ram pipe in the middle of the air stream, which seems a lot better than the jenvey equivalent.

I'm assuming jenvey can't sell me their customer designs and I have asked if millington will sell me some, but no answer at all. It's a bit frustrating, also tried Smith and Jones, nothing.

So if anyone knows the port length. It's better than not knowing. And im sure millington placed the injector there for a good reason. Can't be the butterfly, their series 2 uses barrels built into the head.
    Have you tried to phone Roy Millington and ask him those questions, he’s a very approachable Man. I know he’s on Face Book if that’s any help.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Yes, I called when I was in the UK, is it Margaret or something? Said she would ask him. I also sent him two emails. Nothing.

Bought the engine from their website, it's still on their. He sent me an email when I bought it, so I've got the email correct.

To be honest, 54mm is as big as they go. The manifold can only be bored to 50mm so if I use a 50mm spacer and taper it, I'll have a decent starting length with a very gradual taper, velocity stacks will be down to available space.
    Last edited by Simjim; 22-09-2023 at 04:08.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

If I had the intake port length, I would know exactly how long it will be and update my CAD drawing.

+ Reply to Thread