User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: paint problem

Thanks

paint problem

Done some repair work on my car and painted with 2k paint. Rubbed car down with a scotch pad and painted the repair areas. Problem is the areas I've painted seem lighter then the rest of the paint. It's the same paint used as rest of the car stirred the tin for ages and mixed it using 2:1 ratio.
    Any ideas what's going on the guy who painted the car before just rubbed it wirh a scotch pad and painted on top

Bodger

Thanks

Re: paint problem

What colour is it? I'm assuming its a solid colour.
    Nick.

Thanks

Yeah its ford Olympic blue

Bodger

Thanks

if its the same paint as already on there as opposed to mixed to the code by someone, it cant be the paint so to me it sounds like the paint is not holding out over the repair. i.e its showing the primer through. Olympic being a light colour has very little pigment in it so becomes semi transparent requiring either a dark grey or black primer/undercoat or more top coats. How many coats did you put on and how big a repair/refinished area are we talking?

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

sounds to me like theres not enough base on, if you have a darker paint somewhere base it in that first then paint it again in the origional base. idealy you only need 3 bases on and make sure that theyre dry before you base over again (if theyre still wet thewont cover aswell)!
    Last edited by andylad; 23-07-2012 at 18:06.

Bodger

Thanks

he's not doing it in base though he's doing it in solid.

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

well in that case you can can still base it in a deeper colour and then flat and final 2 in proper colour my gues is ths paint has allready been mixed so the mix isnt a true ratio. go by feel with the mixing stick.

Thanks

The paint is the same mix as what's on the car I just scotched the paint work and painted on top no primer was used. I only put one coat on is this enough or should I put more coats on.

Bodger

Thanks

Ok you confused me by saying you did some repairs so i assumed you primed the repair areas. More confused now? 2k needs 2 coats really. Some paints dry darker but i suspect this may not be the case here. Ultimately you may have to blend the panel to get a perfect match using fade out techniques.
    Nick

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion I did a couple of repairs which I did use primer on. How soon do you apply the second coat of paint its being sprayed in a garage not a booth. Cheers for the replies I'm not a painter as you may tell just trying to save a couple of quid

Thanks

Hi there,
    If you are using a 2 pack type paint eg, paint mixed with a hardener and thinners, the ratio is normally 2 parts paint, 1 part hardener and 10 percent thinners.
    The paint is applied in 3 coats,
    Tack coat, then 2 full coats, allow the paint to tack off between coats, if you touch a piece of the masking paper it should feel sticky but no paint should come off, I would guess that the colour does not match because you have not put enough paint on.
    Cheers,
    James

Mechanic

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Now I'm totally confused!... Right, the areas you have primed pdaint with a darker colour or your paint in the local area to cover the light primer, do this until it dries the same colour as the car, alternatively, base it with a darker blue which may only take 1 decent coat, wait for it to thourughly dry.....3-4 hrs in this heat is grt. flat of with 400 to smooth area you just painted without breaking through into the primer, 600-800 the whole panel and paint with the origional colour bending in after the repaired areas unless you wish to paint the whole panel(blenfing is to feather the paint away on edges of strokes)leave probaly 30mins between coats in this heat if its drying ok re-apply 2-3 coats of solid to finish whole processleave for a day to harden flat off with 1200-1600 mop to finish.
    If the gun is too far away and it looks like orange peel hold the gun closer to the car so you see the fan of the gun on the car and it gives you a line to work to(but be verycarefull its easy to run the paint by putting it on too heavy and not enough will not get a finish!)

Good luck
    Hoipe this answers you question ,anyone else care to add if i missed anything along the way...

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oddy View Post
    Hi there,
    If you are using a 2 pack type paint eg, paint mixed with a hardener and thinners, the ratio is normally 2 parts paint, 1 part hardener and 10 percent thinners.
    The paint is applied in 3 coats,
    Tack coat, then 2 full coats, allow the paint to tack off between coats, if you touch a piece of the masking paper it should feel sticky but no paint should come off, I would guess that the colour does not match because you have not put enough paint on.
    Cheers,
    James
    x2

+ Reply to Thread