+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reupload e36 Drift Bodge

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Reupload e36 Drift Bodge

A bit bored with the current covid situation;

so me and my friends decided to learn drifting next year on our local track called "drift poligon". It's an old course that was used for driving beginners before going on the road.

Few months ago my buddy from Croatia was sending me links of adds on Facebook marketplace of dirt cheap e36 ti's to hype me up on it and while I was halfway done eating my sandwich I
    somehow decided to go and grab one myself the same day...

The car cost me 250euro in the end and was still registered which made it really easy getting it back home. I called up my friends and told them about the car I bought and that we can have it together to share.

Soon we pulled the engine and stripped the car, so far getting back a little over 100euro from selling some things, which makes the shell more or less free allready. But with a reason and that is terminal RUST. The car is basiclly made of it. Not a problem though, with all the holes in it this thing should weigh next to none

So, the plan is to make the car ready to drift till March when they open and knowing the local boys we already got loads of help with info and parts. To state the obvious, this car is going to be one BIG BODGE . We are not going to waste time on welding nice repair sections or anything like that. Its going to be pretty bad, but the shell is not worth our time anymore than its needed to stay in one piece. That being said it's also nice to have something like this where you can be tipsy and not need to worry about the car and work done to it. A nice little break from our personal projects should be a fun one!

Heres a video of the track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4s9JLae5s

Took the first photos when I got home

Came with a big bottle of oil and a free toilet

Stripping the car

Engine out

Then the car sat for a while behind the shop because we had another car to take care of for a costumer (will post that one aswell when I get to it). Meanwhile I collected most of the parts needed for this.
    Some time in between we dug out a 6cylinder lump from an e39. This took me 2 tries to be honest because the first one which was sold to me as a b25 turned out to be a b20 (2liter) and the seller didnt approve it so I was stuck with selling it. Luckilly I did and for the full price. The second one was the right one.

Think this is enough for the first post. Heres a couple of screen grabs from my footage at the track. All of us never cared for compacts, but after watching a couple shredding that little course we got hooked. Some of the locals and our two favourite e36 ti's

Last edited by avtospotter; 17-12-2020 at 10:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Reupload e36 Drift Bodge

First thing was to get some roof over the car since we can't work in snow/rain and we want it ready by spring. My dads friend manufactures these garden/farm tents and made me a deal on one if I was to help him with his work. Top man.

I tried to move the car when we set the tent up and I realised the door wouldnt shut back. After smashing it for good 15min it finnaly stayed closed...for good Now we had to open it from inside and take out the locking/closing mechanism. I thought something broke inside but it turned out the spring that pushes the handle back in place was stuck because of dried dirt. Some cleaning and fresh grease did the job.

Next job is taking care of those big rust spots on the floor
    Last edited by avtospotter; 19-12-2020 at 15:35.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Status report

and now.......HERE COMES THE BODGE

Going for that OEM floorpan repair panel

We did this much, then some dude who lives across the fence freaked out because we were too loud trying to hammer the front part in place. We decided it was enough for a sunday. More next week.

Last edited by avtospotter; 20-12-2020 at 17:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Racer Decade Plus User wildo105e's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by avtospotter View Post
    Status report

and now.......HERE COMES THE BODGE

Love that it looks like a baking tray, keep it coming love a bit of fun car.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Well, since you asked for it...floor all bodged together now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Allright, lets see whats up today

Front floor to frame rail hole bodged up

And on to the ARB mounting points (heard/read that these are a common rust area, but we wouldn't buy the repair pieces would we )

One was patched / bodged up, the other was dead so I took a piece of box and welded two bolts in. Very OEM.

Then we cleaned the inside and painted it with some fence colour

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

i think yopu need to up the AMPS on the welder ? on the anti roll bar mount the penetration may be low as a lot of surface build up on weld ?

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alladdin View Post
    i think yopu need to up the AMPS on the welder ? on the anti roll bar mount the penetration may be low as a lot of surface build up on weld ?
    id agree, infact id say both need to go up, wire speed a bit amps a fair bit

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    id agree, infact id say both need to go up, wire speed a bit amps a fair bit
    Hey guys, thanks for the input, but its more likely the wires fault itself. I used a 0.6 wire and on my (very basic) welder theres 4 amp settings, 3 and 4 meant for a thicker, 0.8 wire. I tried with the highest amps but it was bad because the wire melted far back to the nozzle. With the setting 3 it went kind of, still bad but when I took it slowly it did melt both of the materials, just kind of left these fat welds. Yes penetration wasnt ideal, but it will do the job, hopefully. If not, I read that most drift boys dont run front ARBs anyways
    btw I did order a 0.8 wire a while back but It just hasnt come yet and we just went ahead and finished this anyway

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

i use 0.6 too, better on thin stuff. if its burning back dont drop amps just up the wire speed. have a play with it if you didnt already.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to alladdin For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

i use 0.6 too, better on thin stuff. if its burning back dont drop amps just up the wire speed. have a play with it if you didnt already.
    Yeah exactly, its really easy to use with sheet metal but for anything thicker its just not working out good. I did a bit yeah but still wasnt ideal. It would be much easier with the 0.8; if it wasnt for christmas time and cloged post offices it have it already
    Thanks for the tip though! Always appreciated

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

most car bodywork is done using 0.6 although i prefer 0.8. in fact we have two identical mig welders at work but they need very different settings, one machine has .6 and the other .8 in it, if im only patching a bracket of something i used the nearest machine, more involved work i use the one with the 0.8 in it. oddly despite having thinner wire in it the machine on 0.6 needs the amps cranked up much higher.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    most car bodywork is done using 0.6 although i prefer 0.8. in fact we have two identical mig welders at work but they need very different settings, one machine has .6 and the other .8 in it, if im only patching a bracket of something i used the nearest machine, more involved work i use the one with the 0.8 in it. oddly despite having thinner wire in it the machine on 0.6 needs the amps cranked up much higher.

I agree Graham. If this was my car or something more serious and/or for road use i would wait for the other wire to arrive, but since this is a car for only one specific purpose we went ahead and worked with what was at the reach of our hands the bodge is strong witht his one

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

The bodging went on today, when we figured out how to increase the steering angle. Went the "cut and weld" way, no one fancied spending money on costly lock kits

Took the hubs and LCA's out, rotors and abs sensors off

Cutting the knuckles and welding them back closer to the center and spaced correctly fot 0 ackerman using a basic jig

Then we took out the original front suspension and replaced them with ebay MaxSpeedingRods we bought at our local SkidShop

After some test fitting and meassuring we decided to extend the LCA's for 2cm rather then cutting and shortening the tie rods.

Welded some pieces to the side just in case. Looks horrible, but should work

Steering angle/lock is defffinetly increased quiet a bit, which means job done. Doesn't look much in the picture but it will be more obvious once we put a wheel on it. Next time. Enough for the day.

Last edited by avtospotter; 28-12-2020 at 17:13.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

The Bodge is progressing very well.

Increasing the steering angle was a success, now grounded on wheels its very noticable. Will it hold? Well see
    Tie rods need to be replaced as they are completely shot.

We dropped the car and turned it around so after new years we can tackle the rear half (diff, disks, etc.)
    The job list is way shorter and more straight forward, though there had to be one little rusty we'll have to patch up. Surprise surprise. No one fancied getting the welder out today so just a poke...

One easy job to finnish the day - Test fitting the bucket seat.

Looks nice.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Happy New years to anyone who might be reading this

Anyways heres some new new with the Bodge Car

Took off the tired steering coupler joint and diff plate with the bush, which will be replacing aswell. We burned it out with a torch for some high spirits Some work on the lathe is on for today.

The coupler bush rubber was a b***h to remove, but easy to make a replacement. Will need to buy some proper bolts once the shops open.

Turned down another two pieces for the diff and a sleeve for the bolt to go through. All fits, nice and tight; the bolt clearence to the sleeve is spot on so it wont wobble around. I wanted to make a step on the bush so it sits correct to the edge but the biggest piece of material I had was 80mm (which was acctually 81.3) so it was just big enough for the bush (hole was about 79.8 because we left the metal part of the original bush in). Anyways in the end it will do the job fine

Last edited by avtospotter; 02-01-2021 at 19:47.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

It's been a week since we did something to the Bodge but the temperatures have dropped far under 0 so we rather just stay inside

Anyways I was spacing out at work today and while starring at the diff cover I remembered someone telling me the chassis mounts like to break when the car is being abused. We were going to brace and seam weld that part, but just in case I made another mount so now it has double chassis mounts. The original is already a bit rusty anyways so this will help no doubt

Looks like one of those "weld it yourself" kits

Last edited by avtospotter; 14-01-2021 at 18:45.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Welded the mount together, then the diff. The plate bolts on with M10 bolts to the diff so it was no problem getting 2 longer bolts to prevent having fewer threads in.
    While the sealer was drying I made a quick chassis bracket. Quite horrible welding up there; bad acces, but it will work (hope so). Job done

Last edited by avtospotter; 15-01-2021 at 16:43.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Almost done with welding on the Bodge.

Made some strut top reinforcements, patched up the hole over the subframe mount and added some strenght with a thick piece of flat iron shaped to kinda hug the bottom part and relive some stress from it.
    Then something simmilar with the diff mount. Should be good

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Going strong

Seat time

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Didnt feel like welding today so I finnaly bought the bolts for this and put it together

Then I made some door cards from stuff I had laying around.
    Good result for a lazy day

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Finnished the little bits this morning, got some protection for the wiring

Now the drums need to go and be changed for disc brakes so I can add a nice hydraulic handbrake for the skids.
    The backing plate was a pain...for it to z+unscrew you need to pull of the hub, which means changing both bearings and pressing the hub back in, which also means the rear trailing arm needs to go off aswell.

I was much more keen to go the bodging way and cut the bolts instead

Worked just fine. Next time Ill weld on the caliper brackets.

Last edited by avtospotter; 22-01-2021 at 16:13.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Made the sketchiest possible caliper bracket today, heres how

For starters; the brakes Ill be using are e46 320d vented rears, got them for next to nothing on facebook. They looked pretty tired and I was expecting to take out the piston and get new seals, but turns out the rubber is still very good, and the inside held a pretty nice surprise. The rotors are straight aswell so no machining will be needed. Looks like it just sat outside for a bit. Hit the jacpot with this

Then came the brackets...somene gave me these plasma cut weld on pieces as a gift as he didnt need them. It looked like we would get the calipers on in no time but turns out that they were cut way to short. This was a bummer, so I had to come up with a new plan. I used the thickest piece that was big enough to cut out two brackets. Saddly the only pieces that big were these, which allready had some holes drilled in. Anyway I managed to place the bracket on it and dodging all exoisting holes and have space for the 4 ones we need. Then I machined some 6mm spacers which placed the caliper center to the rotor.

All in all the bracket looks deadly but we think (hope) it will hold up. Everything lines up good and holes are correct so we call it a day.

Last edited by avtospotter; 01-02-2021 at 17:00.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

cracking along

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Did this today...now I need to figure out the pipes and connections

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Got a nice reservoir for 3euro and some fittings and pipe. Needed to drill the hole bigger and tap a M12x1,5 thread to work with the bolt.

Then I sat the car down to see how it looks. The springs will need a little cutting I think.
    I also added some steering rack boots from Febi to give the cheap coilovers a bit protection as the rod is totally exposed.

Last edited by avtospotter; 10-02-2021 at 15:21.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

The boys came down to the shop today to do some work on the engine.

Took the clutch of, ordered a new, better one from
    https://skid-shop.com/

Then we swapped the e39 wiring to an e36; only one conection needed to be cut of from the e39 and swapped over.

Now we got loads of oil, water and vaccum pipes we need to figure out

Last edited by avtospotter; 13-02-2021 at 20:40.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

A couple friends pointed out to me that the black solid rubber coupler I made was too stiff for the steering shaft as all the joints are offset, which I didn't know before. This would mean that the steering shaft would break after some time.

For round two I used another universal joint welded to the other end of the shaft. This should work now.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Some goddies in the mail today...a 15 euro momo wheel and autodoc engine service parts, some pads and tie rods. Hope we can pull a working weekend and get this in.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Struggled to remove tie rods so we ended up removing them alltogether and ordering a set of inner's aswell. I let my friends have that fun while I played with the handbrake MC

Then some engine work...didin't get to finish it all done because of a few missing bolts. Next time
    Got the clutch fork pivot pin from skid-shop.com and a uprated clutch too.

Last edited by avtospotter; 02-03-2021 at 18:32.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Managed to re-use this t-piece for the brakes without breaking a bolt. Connected directly to the handbrake cylinder. I made up some "lines" with wires so I could messure how long I need to get them made.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

How to get free engine mounts. Buy OEM ones second hand, make a jig, sell them on, make your own. That said, it works really easy with e36 6cylinder stuff because everyone needs them. Gotta make use of the situation,

And some laser cut flanges for the exhaust, since it didn't come with the motor Ill have to make it myself to save some buck. Had to weld some studs on the manifolds first.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Only two more weekends to go till the track opens! Friends gathered early on sunday to get the motor in; finally!

we had to make up a backing plate between the box and engine last minute (nobody noticed that we didnt have one untill we wanted to drop her in) but that didnt stop us, half an hour later we had a plate and the motor dropped in nicelly, mounts were correct, all was good.

And we were fixing up more than just one car!

Not manny days left, but the progress is visable

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Stopped during a work errand at my friends Žugi's place (zugi_e36) for some relays and rotors. He gave me a whole box to try them out in hopes to get the engine running soon. pretty nervous we checked bits to find out we did wire the car (at least somewhat) corectly. After some minor sparks due to loose ground cables and re-routing fuel lines we had power in the circuit and fuel in the lines but the nozzles didnt spit it out. we cranked the engine some more checking for sollutions. One connector doesnt have its other half. We stopped for today as we had enough. Luckilly a friend sent us some relay diagrams once we got home so ill check that out tomorrow. We might be very close, who knows.

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Two weekends to go and the to-do list is getting shorter quick.

The beemer looks like a car again with its face back on.

The gearstick lever needed to be shortened in order to compensate the engine being longer (and to prevent buying the correct one lol)

I managed to create an alternative to the original 25euro bmw intake hose using Kia ceed and peugeot 608 intake pipes I found on the scrapyard. The Kia one even had an aditional vacum conector just like the bmw original has for the idle contorl valve. Jackpot!
    cost me 5euro. Then Arh came through with an old cone filter he had at home. Just need to work out a good fixing point for it; shouldnt be too hard

Now this, don't judge too hard; quick explenation, local dudes are trying to earn a fortune selling their 6cylinder e36 parts and that is a no-go for this one, so I used the situation to try and make up an exhaust myself as it always looked tempting and I wanted to have a go at welding pipe (wasnt the best looking, would be better with a TIG but it works and thats all it needs to ).

Flanges were laser cut by a friend of my dad and the flexi pipe was bought for 10euro at the local parts store. The pipes were all free as they were throw away pieces. Thats the cheap alternative we went for boys

46. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Since the last time we fired up the motor a little pudle showed up under the car: turns out the valve cover gasket wasn't put on well which is quite common on these engines, so we replaced it and put in the new radiator which our friend zugi_e36 provided. Things are looking good, we allready left a little mark in the tarmac. Few things to sort and were ready

Last edited by avtospotter; 25-03-2021 at 22:23.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

Bodger

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Final touches part 1

50. The Following User Says Thank You to avtospotter For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread