Thread: bike insurance

I used to be: steely dan Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

bike insurance

Hi guys, passed my cbt the other weekend and now im looking at getting a bike (supermoto 125 type thing). insurance wise ive managed to get what i think is a decent quote of 370quid (tpft incl commuting) but it has an excess which is basically the value of the bike (1500quid), with 'excess waiver insurance' included which all sounds necessarily confusing... i think it means the excess is covered but i really dont understand it. anyone else had that?

the next nearest quote is about 600quid with a normal excess (150quid) so if its a normal thing then its quite a bit cheaper

ta
    Dan

Spanner Monkey

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: bike insurance

sounds a lot - but then its London (i guess) and a 125 SM is probably what every scumbag wants to nick.

how long you wanting to keep that bike for? maybe get something more sensible for short term and then trade up?

as for the waiver, never come across it on any of my bikes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grunty-motor For This Useful Post:

Dan

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

yeah i think the quote is about right, if i make it though the first year without an accident it should come down a fair bit, your probably on to something with the SM being a bit of a scumbag magnet and i dont think my postcode is helping much in that either. the plan is to keep the bike and do my full test, if i dont mind the lack of power i'll keep the bike for a few years.

all the cheap quotes have the same weird excess waiver thing, ive never seen it before so i might just have to talk direct to the insurer.. im just not expecting a very clear response

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

You should keep going and go for your full test before the test changes in Feb.
    Insurance sounds about rite some company let you adjust your excess higher you put it cheaper the annual premium is.
    Iv been with ebike insurance since I passed 4 year ago there easy to deal with and adding and swaping bikes on the policy costs penies
    Pete

Spanner Monkey

My 1st Project
    Thanks

have you thought about the direct access? might give you a bigger choice of bikes?

had one of my bikes at the strip yesterday - one of my mates got a GTR and this was a bit of a showdown.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suh6utWsZaY&feature=plcp

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

yea i plan to do the direct access, and the changes dont really make much difference since im over 30. as far as i can make out it just means i take the test on a 600cc instead of a 500 and the prices will go up

all the DAS courses round here are intensive, which means a big up front payment, and if you fail module 1, you cant take module 2 and all your money is lost, i plan on taking them separately which is also easier to manage around work since im out of holiday this year and dont have any spare next year because im off for a month traveling (part of the reason for getting the licence)

with that insurance policy there is no option to reduce the excess, its a bit odd

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Have you tried asking your agent about the part that's making you confuse? The rate is reasonable enought, IMO.
    Last edited by Dan; 15-11-2012 at 12:21. Reason: take out link in sig

Bodger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steely dan View Post
    Hi guys, passed my cbt the other weekend and now im looking at getting a bike (supermoto 125 type thing). insurance wise ive managed to get what i think is a decent quote of 370quid (tpft incl commuting) but it has an excess which is basically the value of the bike (1500quid), with 'excess waiver insurance' included which all sounds necessarily confusing... i think it means the excess is covered but i really dont understand it. anyone else had that?

the next nearest quote is about 600quid with a normal excess (150quid) so if its a normal thing then its quite a bit cheaper

ta
    Dan
    Hi,
    Did you get a quotation from our motorcycle dept Bikesure? If you did how did we compare?
    Regards,
    Dan.

+ Reply to Thread