User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Renault Scenic Automatic Handbrake Issues

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Renault Scenic Automatic Handbrake Issues

Hi, I'm having problems with my automatic handbrake.

The scenario...

Two weeks ago my car went in for an MOT and failed due to sticking rear brakes. I never noticed this prior to the MOT but hey, you dont always pick up on these things. Anyway they fixed it. Later that week I sent the car back to the garage to get the air-con recharged & the heater blower resistor replaced. when they delivered the car back the parking brake warning light was on, but the brakes were functioning as intended. By the time I drove home the warning lights were off (this isn't the first time this has happened so I wast that bothered). The next evening I had the car up on ramps and I fitted a new reverse light switch to the gear box. When I reversed the car off the ramps it all seamed fine but after I removed the ramps and then went to move the car back onto my drive way the automatic hand brake refused to release as I tried to move forward. Now I can put the car in reverse and the hand brake releases as normal, and I can use the handle to manually engage or release the brake (warning light comes on). The motor obviously works but it just will not release the break when trying to move forward. I went back to the garage and they had a look and said it could be the cables going to the handbrake motor, so they changed them.... This made no difference.

The questions...
    1. Is it possible that the reverse switch may have something to do with this?
    2. I believe that the accelerator and clutch sensors tell the handbrake when to disengage, could the problem be there?
    3. If I have to change the electronic brake mechanism and I buy a used second hand one, will I still need to take it to renault to be reprogrammed before it will function?

The car is a Renault Scenic 2005 1.6 16VVT Expression.

Thanks In Advance

Pit Crew Decade Plus User 105Ian's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Renault Scenic Automatic Handbrake Issues

The reverse light switch also tells the car if any gear in enganged as it needs this information because of the vehicle having a push button start

The handbrake computer does get its information from the clutch potionmeter as it needs to know the hitting point of the clutch

You can swap a handbrake computer from another vehicle but make sure it's from another manual car and from a short wheel base one if yours is short wheel base
    If you buy a new one it will need setting up by a Renault dealer as they need putting into customer mode .

But before you go buying another handbrake unit have a look under the carpet under the n/s/f seat and make sure there is no water damage to the wiring in the big multiplug it will have about 50 wires in it as this could be your problem

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi Ian,
    Thanks for the info, I've checked for the water damage, and no evidence of any moisture here. (got that tip from one of your older posts ;-) )

Is there a chance that the new reverse switch isn't telling the computer that first gear is selected? Would this affect the handbrake?

Cheers

Dylan
    Last edited by dylanh; 26-01-2013 at 14:28. Reason: spelling mistake

Pit Crew Decade Plus User 105Ian's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

As the reverse light switch is a dual switch and does give gear selected information and your problem only seems to have occurred since fitting the switch it would seem it must have something to do with your problem , would be tempted to refit the old switch and see if the problem is cured

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi Ian,

Many thanks, I'll give that a go.
    Cheers

Dylan

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Well ,I put the old reverse switch/sensor back into the gear box and guess what, the brake problem has gone away. I don't have a reverse light any more (That was the original problem) but at Least my brakes are working as intended.

I'll be taking the switch/sensor back to Renault in the morning to find out if they sold me the wrong one or if they just gave me a dud.

Very strange problem this, never read of a similar issue anywhere else before.

When I find out more from Renault I'll post an update.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Update: Booked in to my locals Renault dealer for a diagnostic, turns out the reverse switch was faulty. New switch fitted and brake problem has gone away :-)

Racer Decade Plus User Stringpants's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I love a happy ending.......

Full marks for your patience and tenacity.....

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

has anybody opened up the electronic servo box on a renault scenic 2004 ,i have and a ( C ) SHAPED CLIP FELL OUT, we have had faults with handbrake , cable siezed on drivers side , stripped out and cleaned and freed off, refitted and now the handbrake wont work at all, motor goes all sound no go lol , need a bit of advice please on where ive gone wrong and where can i get a breakdon parts drawing of the e/box for handbrake system , i hate renaults so complicated, regards dave

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

have 2009 grand scenic parking break fault orange light with triangle and last day or 2 red stop light has come on. i can hear motor working when engage the handbrake. the light on hand brake is flashing on and off.
    any ideas. regards mark

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I have a 2003 mkIV espace and has developed a problem and need help if anyone can help.

I went on holiday with kids first week the car was fine i parked it up on the evening with no problems and lunch time the next day went to start the car and now it wont start.The display is saying automatic parking brake faulty and the red light is flashing.I have tried to release brake auto and i hear the motor doing its job but fault still there and the car will just not start.On the evening we did have a lot of rain i dont know if this would cause the problem but i really do need some help.The aa recovered car back 200 miles as they couldnt get it started.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi its a common issue that we come across we have extensive knowledge on these electric handbrake units the cables are one of the culprits they seize up another is the unit it self that the cables fit into inside is a motor small gearbox and a circuit board with relays.We have since last year been reconditioning these units and have a good understanding or what the common issues are .We also have in stock all Renault electric hand brake cables which we have sourced that are not available from main dealer as come with complete units. Any one want some advice i will be glad to assist.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to this site. I also have an issue with my parking brake on a 2004 Grand Scenic. I changed the rear brake pads two weeks ago and all was fine. Had a flat battery and got a garage to replace the battery for me. Again no issue. Two days ago, handbrake won't engage. The red light flashes. I can't see any error message as dashboard has gone on the blink. Car drives but no handbrake. When I try to engage handbrake there is no noise from the motor. I have took off rear wheels and found out the cables won't move. Not sure if this is normal or a fault. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Renault Megane, 2005 which now says on the dash Parking Brake Fault. The handbrake won't engage at all, any ideas what to try before going to any garages? Tried releasing micro switches but they are all fine.

Is it possible the battery is on the way out?
    Last edited by alizero; 26-11-2017 at 16:35.

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi I just wanted a bit off advice check parking brake has come up on my 2010 grand scenic 1.5 dci. Have found what I think has caused problem I some how managed to snap of something on one of the sensors near the clutch and the message has only come up since this happened Click image for larger version Name:	20130715_144306.jpg Views:	14 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	82152 I think I have added a pic of it it's the yellow and black bit I snapped off. Wanted to know what this part is called and if they can be replaced. Car seems to be driving fine and parking brake working ok just message is on with service light.

+ Reply to Thread