User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Project more door aka the sh!++3$ for autotests, drift days and road rallys

Pole Position Decade Plus User freddy686868's Avatar

Thanks

Re: Project more door aka the sh!++3$ for autotests, drift days and road rallys

the gearbox/engine building bench all cleaned down

the head has had a slight skim too I have to check the cylinder head cc again now to double check the cr although it should be fine

Thanks

looking through all the stuff I used to make the dta loom I found this

I forgot I had made an injection loom ready for when I go injection so it is now a case of plug the loom in and play away

Thanks

Thanks

Looking down the throttle body to the inlet i wasn't happy with the shoulder it hit ao i blended it out to match the 48's there is a slight rad on the inlet not a straight shank so the air flows somoothly into the inlet instead of hitting a shoulder about 1mm each side. So the air will still be disturbed but not hitting a wall.

That's the idea any way

No photos of the finished inlet yet

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Sponsor

Thanks

You need to loosen off you manifold and move it a tad then it will have a smoother flow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ALD View Post
    You need to loosen off you manifold and move it a tad then it will have a smoother flow
    yeah i did jiggle it about a bit and got the inlet to match the head, it was the throttle bodies to the inlet (second photo) i wasn't happy with so i have removed some of that material.

Thanks

Bodies matched to the inlet.
    Before

After

Thanks

I also can't resist a bargin so i bought this

Bodies trial fitted.

I have also ordered the linkage bracket to fit the linkage underneath the bodies as the jenvey linkage looks like something you would win in a cereal box and i want to hide it as much as possible.

Thanks

If I were you I would get a new manifold fabricated up with larger ports that are angled to the same as the inlet port of the head

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ALD;u2290591
    If I were you I would get a new manifold fabricated up with larger ports that are angled to the same as the inlet port of the head

Yeah i might do at a later date. At the moment i am using the one made for the webers a flat type manifold. We will see how it goes with that. I know the boys on the rs2k forum are using the angled type inlet with good results but they are for the rs2k heads with out the water port on the side :-/

Thanks

Well after speaking to someone on the forum there might be plans to bolt a 6 speed rx8 box up to the new a
    Engine it would be a shame not to use the tran x though!

Racer Decade Plus User evans2822's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

I was thinking when you were on about the size compared to a type 9 the other day what It would take to fit one...

Do you know the ratios John and what's Involved to fit It?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evans2822 View Post
    I was thinking when you were on about the size compared to a type 9 the other day what It would take to fit one...

Do you know the ratios John and what's Involved to fit It?
    basically make an adaptor plate and convert your clutch to hydraulic it is a mazda/ford gearbox at the end of the day

Thanks

basically you should be able too pull of in second on the flat but you always have first. I has closer ratios than a type 9 but 2-6th is pretty much the same as a tran x type 9 1-5th. The rx8 first gear is close to a standard type 9 ratio too so it is like having the best of both worlds a short 1st for hill starts and a standard type 9 5th 0.84 as 6th and a load of close gears in between.

rx 8 box
    1st --- 3.760
    2nd --- 2.269
    3rd --- 1.645
    4th --- 1.187
    5th --- 1.000
    6th --- 0.843

tran x
    1st - 2.48
    2nd - 1.69
    3rd - 1.27
    4th - 1:1
    5th - 0.87
    Last edited by freddy686868; 18-03-2014 at 01:00.

Thanks

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Cool I will look Into that If my type 9 goes tits up

Thanks

Cool I will look Into that If my type 9 goes tits up
    you'll be fine with the power your running.

Thanks

Let me know the engine goes when it's up and running.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freddy686868 View Post
    you'll be fine with the power your running.
    LoL I don't know If the box Is any good never tested It

Thanks

LoL I don't know If the box Is any good never tested It
    aaaa we could always rebuild it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to freddy686868 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

this might be of interest to someone on here I know it is to me!

plenty of room for the flywheel

ooooooo the clutch fits!

so does the spigot bearing!

Last but not least comparing the actual gearbox sizes

I have also had my ally carb tank converted to injection too! By Zackham Engineering and the work done is very high standard as always!

I had to buy a shiny new part too for the new pump and filter set up in the boot.

Thanks

Well i was a happy boy when i got in from work today (vernier in hand) and thats not inuendo. These beuties were waiting for me after about 5 weeks of waiting for them!

Way too shiney for my liking!

A nice thick rib for strength ans i noticed the pin mounts are inboard i'm assuming it is to keep the strength in the center of the piston and pin length down reducing the pin weight maybe.

A nice 12cc crown in them. I will have to remeber that the crown isn't centeral when fitting them into the engine too. :P

Some new vs old now i just hope they work!

I'm going to weigh them all up soon with the pins and rings to see if i can match them to a rod so they are all of similar weights.

Thanks

They also come in under budget too which has been rare in this engine build.

Next up is to order the head gastket, bolts Timing chain and other items. I am hoping to have the engine in the car by the end of next week!

Thanks

Well i weighed them all with the rings pins and the pin circlips and they were all within 0.002grams of each other! And the piston diameters are all with in 0.004" of each other. Now just to match them to a rod to make them perfect.

All matched to the pistons

Block is also having a pampering it has been chemically stripped and is going for a paint and a rebore monday :P
    Spottless

Outsides looking good too
    Last edited by freddy686868; 23-03-2014 at 00:15.

Thanks

I have decided to have the full bottom end balanced too whilst it is at the machine shop as i have heard it makes a big difference. Can anyone tell me what the binifts are of a balanced botoom end are please?

Racer Decade Plus User RWD fords rule's Avatar

Thanks

Balanced bottom ends can possibly increase bearing life, lets say the flywheel was well out balance the rear bearing would want to wear more quickly, also the idle rpm will be a little more steady, apart from that no difference, usually std balance is fine unless using very large rpm's over 8k
    "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Enzo Ferrari

28. The Following User Says Thank You to RWD fords rule For This Useful Post:

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freddy686868 View Post
    I have decided to have the full bottom end balanced too whilst it is at the machine shop as i have heard it makes a big difference. Can anyone tell me what the binifts are of a balanced botoom end are please?
    im with jason.

very little benefit in my opinion! assuming you dont have any major weight differences in rods and pistons.

over the years i have had numerous engines which started out balanced and over a period of time they have had rod changes, flywheel changes, flywheels further lightened, then swapped for lighter steel ones,which were then further lightened, and then further lightened, even crank swaps, so ended up baring no resemblance to the original balanced article, could i tell the difference? no, infact one well known rr operator commented how smooth the engine was!

i did recently have a vw 92.7mm stroke crank and flywheel balenced, mainly because it had a cast flywheel from which a machined 3kgs of material off and i figured the long stroke will show up any imbalance worse and that cast flywheels don't have the same consistency of material in terms of density as a billet steel one, and its going in a rally car which will see 8K

when they came back the crank was practically untouched, and although the flywheel did have more balancing drillings in it, it had far few drillings than it came from the factory with, i had actually machined away a fair bit of the imbalance!

for fast road/mild competition engines which are only revving to 7-7.5k i dont bother. neither do i when using billet steel cranks and flywheels

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    im with jason.

very little benefit in my opinion! assuming you dont have any major weight differences in rods and pistons.

over the years i have had numerous engines which started out balanced and over a period of time they have had rod changes, flywheel changes, flywheels further lightened, then swapped for lighter steel ones,which were then further lightened, and then further lightened, even crank swaps, so ended up baring no resemblance to the original balanced article, could i tell the difference? no, infact one well known rr operator commented how smooth the engine was!

i did recently have a vw 92.7mm stroke crank and flywheel balenced, mainly because it had a cast flywheel from which a machined 3kgs of material off and i figured the long stroke will show up any imbalance worse and that cast flywheels don't have the same consistency of material in terms of density as a billet steel one, and its going in a rally car which will see 8K

when they came back the crank was practically untouched, and although the flywheel did have more balancing drillings in it, it had far few drillings than it came from the factory with, i had actually machined away a fair bit of the imbalance!

for fast road/mild competition engines which are only revving to 7-7.5k i dont bother. neither do i when using billet steel cranks and flywheels
    Thanks for the input guys. I don't think i will balance it now as it sounds like a waste of £160 as i am only runnig a 91mm stroke and if it revs and makes power to 7.5k i will be surprised. Well thats a timing chan kit and a head gasket kit instead of the balancing. Just in time too as i'm dropping the engine off tomorrow for boring and honing.

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Not checked in ere for a while, can't wait to see what you get out of the engine, or how long it'll last, these engines are started to get noticed abit round my end, I have 1 to put in a mk5 fiesta and I trying to speak a customer into having 1 in a trike instead of a pinto, and possible get mine done,,
    Any way top thread,,,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwd2ltrfiesta View Post
    Not checked in ere for a while, can't wait to see what you get out of the engine, or how long it'll last, these engines are started to get noticed abit round my end, I have 1 to put in a mk5 fiesta and I trying to speak a customer into having 1 in a trike instead of a pinto, and possible get mine done,,
    Any way top thread,,,
    They are a great engine and the guy in the machine shop said he hasn't seen one of these engines in a while. I was saying you should be seing a few more of these. I am expecting about 250bhp but people are quoting more out of thiers but unproven.

Thanks

All painted up! Looking mint too.

I also flushed my radiator with jizer, 2lrs of the stuff! It is now oil free now.

Thanks

You should of sent me your crank to be lightened and balanced, I've done loads of them with good results..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ALD View Post
    You should of sent me your crank to be lightened and balanced, I've done loads of them with good results..
    I was going to but I didn't get it done yet again for what I am doing I don't think it is needed.

Thanks

well I got the block back from the machine shop and fair play I paid from a rebore and rehone and that is what I got! The block was stinking, how they made such a mess just taking 40 thou out of the bores I will never know.

Any way I measured the bores and they were cock on so that's the main thing

gapping the rings

pistons out to play

head out to play

crank going in

pistons on the rods

rings on the pistons

full gasket set

new timing chains

piston number 1 in

Thanks

all the pistons in

head gasket is plenty big enough for the new pistons

sump 'modded' to clear the new rods and arp bolts I'm glad I turned the engine over at every stage to check the rotation of the bottom end now otherwise it could have been messy

oil pump chain fitted

head fitted and timed up

bottom end timing mark

Thanks

all done ready to go in tomorrow!

I can just hear these making a brapppp brraaappp in the near future. You will also notice I used the under throttle body linkage bracket as I don't want everyone seeing that piece of rubbish in the engine bay.

Thanks

Great work as always mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5tox View Post
    Great work as always mate
    thanks. I left out the part where an old helicoil stripped out the head on cylinder number 1 spark plug when it was fully built up!
    It resorted in me stuffing a load of rags in the inlet ports covered in wd40, leaning the engine over, greasing up the tap to catch the swarf and cleaning out the threads and inserting a new helicoil, a bit annoying when you have to do things like this on a 3k build!

Thanks

well I have cracked on with this over the last two days and this is as far as I have gotten.

all thrown in the back of my brothers new truck

engine went in about half an hour after I unloaded it with the help of my mate Lloyd and the good old mini digger it was in with in 10 mins

there isn't a great deal of photos over the next steps but the box and prop are back on and all oiled up gearstick on and the injector loom has been added and tested which I'm glad to say works fine

I moved on to cutting a hole in the tank platform for the new and improved injection tank and working out where to place the fuel pump and filter and I have found the place. Purely based on what rubber fuel pipe I had hanging around

exhaust and alternator set up back on

bodies fitted hehe

and finally the injector loom fitted

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Christ that was quick lol

Bet that engine was a walk In the park after the bag of cogs and a gearbox casing great work...

+ Reply to Thread