TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Re: Graham's bmw 2002 race car.

with almost all the structural stuff done i turned my attention to the very front of the car, i was aware the a lot of the sheet metal which forms the nose of the car was missing, and that the lower part of the front panel/valence/radiator support panels were badly bodged up. the front end sheet metal for these always was expensive, but you could get it, either a complete front with inner and outer sheet metal or just an outer skin, unfortunately it seems its now all NLA, all i could get was a reproduction outer lower front skin. so i bit the bullet and bought one, and chopped the old one off. we bolted a pair of front wings on to give us something to align the new panel with

next we bolted the front cross member back in along with a mock up engine and box, i did it because we are going to have to fabricate a lot of sheet metal based on nothing but pictures off the internet, im not too worried about trying to make something totally original, but it kinda important that the radiator and engine are not sharing the same space!

at this point i realized i might have an issue with the roll cage, or more correctly the strut brace section of it. when the cage was done there the shell was bare, and the tubes were positioned from memory only, i wasnt too worried at the time, as i never intended to run an engine with a distributor, but building it to a historic spec thats exactly what i need to do. as soon as the block was on the x member i knew we were short on room, the head fitted, but it was clear there was no room for the oil switch, but thats easily relocated to the main oil gallery, in any case i think its better to know what the oil pressure in the main oil feed is, rather than at the furthest point from the oil pump at end of a rocker shaft, more concerning was that as it stands there was no way i was going to be able to fit a distributor! after a lot of thinking i got out the Oxy-acetylene torch and a hammer, heated up and reshaped the tube to clear the dizzy, whilst i was there i also reshaped the tube to give me access to a head bolt without taking the engine out first

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Graham's bmw 2002 race car.

Great write up and nice to see progress 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Wow - that really is pinching millimeters!

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

, the E30 is currently eating up most of my time and money, But we have now replaced the missing sheet metal from the slam and inner rad support panels, replacements not being available i just opted to make something which looked similar, i also order up an inlet manifold so i could check for carb clearance around teh strut brace,

Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

, the E30 is currently eating up most of my time and money, But we have now replaced the missing sheet metal from the slam and inner rad support panels, replacements not being available i just opted to make something which looked similar, i also order up an inlet manifold so i could check for carb clearance around the strut brace, the carb itself is a borrowed 40, it will most likely end up on a pair of 48's. next on my shopping list for the car is probably the exhaust manifold

Last edited by Graham; 28-07-2019 at 12:34.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread