User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kiwi visiting UK seeking recommendations for sights and sounds 27July-18thAug

Thanks

Question Kiwi visiting UK seeking recommendations for sights and sounds 27July-18thAug

Hello Turbosporters

Any suggestions for events a kiwi should do and see in you neck of the woods this time of year, doesn't have to be specifically car orientated. 1st time traveler.

Have locked in Silverstone classic on the Sunday

3rd August will be going to Castle Combe with Jim Blockley and one of his racecars.

Burton power HQ worth a visit?

Will have a camper van for two weeks driving all way up to Inverness in Scotland and back down.

Any recommended events websites? I'm useless on google.

Cheers Chris

Built/drive this thing in NZ when its running (spend all my pocket money saving for this trip as of late)

And had this (silver) that was the on the turbosport banner a few years ago

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Kiwi visiting UK seeking recommendations for sights and sounds 27July-18thAug

It really depends on your interests - there's plenty of stuff that can be called boring that others may think interesting! Do you want nightlife/music, culture, scenery?

I would say Scotland is worth exploring plenty - plenty of lochs and maybe you'll find the Loch Ness monster if you look hard enough; The Giants Causeway; Edinburgh well worth a look; Historic York is good; Snowdonia in Wales is interesting (but maybe a bit like NZ!); Stonehenge; The Lake District; The Peak District is awesome especially if you're into bouldering/climbing; Cornwall and Devon are cool but will probably be out of your way (they're out of the way for most people who live in UK!!)

Bristol is cool and has plenty of Banksy's work if you're into graffiti art.

And of course London has more than enough to keep you busy for a a few days at least.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Kiwi visiting UK seeking recommendations for sights and sounds 27July-18thAug

What is it with Kiwis coming here at this time of year???....my brother and 5 friends are coming back..mainly to see the Open...

If you are up Glasgow was then the Riverside Transport Museum is worth a look...lots of cars.....there is also a seaplane that leaves there and does a great tour over the west coats and up to Oban...

Thanks

If your a ford man don't miss the Ford Fair at Silverstone 11th August

http://www.fordfair.co.uk/

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

if your going to inverness go the a82 route from glasgow up past loch lomond etc...longer but better scenery and come back the other side via aviemore/perth/edinburgh or vice versa. Also lake district/ windemere is an option on way up too. Depends what your into /want to see do?

and it would be silly to miss ford fair at silverstone if your over here on aug 11th
    Last edited by dug112y; 17-07-2013 at 14:35.
    track fiesta on all the right bits.....

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Chelsea Car Cruise on the Battersea Bridge, London on the 27th, guess this post may miss you and that on the 27th you might be a bit lagged. but if your awake and near the area it can well worth going to see.

Thanks

Back home now

WOW what a great place the UK is!

Watched the Silverstone classic
    Spent the weekend in Croft (nostalgia weekend - BONUS!)
    And rented a racecar on the nurburgring, could do that again in a heartbeat!

1000's of photos

Thanks for all the tips.

Will load some snaps once i filter some of them down.

+ Reply to Thread