User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zetec on megajolt do anyone know where does the vr sensor pickup? Crank or flywheel?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Zetec on megajolt do anyone know where does the vr sensor pickup? Crank or flywheel?

Hi, just fitting a Megajolt ECU setup to a 2litre Zetec Blacktop on Webers.
    Does anyone know where the VR Sensor picks up from.? Is it the Flywheel using the original sensor or do I need to fit a 36-1 Toothed Front Crank Pulley to read from.?
    Any help would be great so I can take the wires to the right place when building the loom.

Cheers

My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Zetec on megajolt do anyone know where does the vr sensor pickup? Crank or flywhe

yep mate the flywheel has it built in,

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Re: Zetec on megajolt do anyone know where does the vr sensor pickup? Crank or flywhe

Thanks very much

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Guys does anyone know where I can purchase the Zetec manual Crank Sensor Housing that bolts at the back of the block.
    I need to change the auto one I have to the manual one for the sensor to read off the flywheel.?
    Cheers

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Guys, I have fitted the Retroford standard flywheel and the manual crank sensor housing to the zetec.

The engine will not fire up. Does anyone know if the RetroFord Flywheel is compatible with the Manual Crank Sensor to pickup the signal or are there modifications required as I understand the sensor must be within 2mm of the Flywheel to pick up the signal. Thanks.

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Zetec on megajolt now where does the vr sensor pickup? Crank or flywheel?

Afaik it's,a re drilled 18 zetec f/w. Ask rf
    Try reversing the wires on sensor

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Someone once told me 2.0 and 1.8 crank sensors were different, but I've never noticed.

My Project... Fiesta D-TEC

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Yes its the drilled zetec flywheel with one of the holes slotted
    I have emailed RF but cant get an answer

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smicker View Post
    Does anyone know if the RetroFord Flywheel is compatible with the Manual Crank Sensor.
    Yes its the drilled zetec flywheel
    have you not just answered your own question ?

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

No

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Does anyone know where the VR Sensor picks up from.? Is it the Flywheel using the original sensor or do I need to fit a 36-1 Toothed Front Crank Pulley to read from.?
    Cheers
    Pretty much most Zetec installations use the std crank pick-up, the Ford flywheel being a 36-1 pattern. The Auto engines have a different arrangement due to not having a flywheel, but a std flywheel can be fitted to them and used as long as the Auto pick-up arrangement is binned and manual type fitted.
    The only advantage of using a front mounted 36-1 wheel and pick-up is for use with a timing light to set crank angle. But as Ford helpfully set the missing tooth 90 deg BTDC and the FW can only be fitted to crank in one place, it is academic! Only thing you are liable to get wrong is the two wires - wired one way it'll pick-up on front of tooth (rising volts), reversed it will pick-up on back (falling volts) - it'll lead to a possible timing error of a couple of degrees but should still run.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Thanks very much, Yes I ended up pulling everything out to fit the manual housing. I have checked the clearance to the flywheel and its within 2mm.
    I also switched the wires around but still no luck yet. Not sure what else to try as I have checked the wiring now 3 times.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

You have adjust the potmeter on the motherboard of the megajolt/squirt. R55 and R56 from the top of my head not sure. Its all in the manual, otherwise look on the internet for a guide on how to set them proper. One is for hysteresis and the other is for voltage.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Thanks Haadee, the megaquirt and megajolt manuals must be different as the Megajolt one I have does not refer to Potmeter or R55 R56, the manual says it should start and even be enough to get you home in a "limp home mode" without the ECU.

Im thinking it could be a faulty EDIS Module, dunno.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

edis will indeed run it without ecu if you disconect the input lead to edis from the megajolt. fixed 10 deg.

+ Reply to Thread