User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best carbs for a 4age 16v? 40's or 45's?

Bodger

Thanks

Best carbs for a 4age 16v? 40's or 45's?

Gents,

please could you you help me with the question above please...many thanks

Mechanic

Thanks

Re: Best carbs for a 4age 16v? 40's or 45's?

I had 45's on mine but the engine wasn't standard

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

What state of tune? General consensus is that 40's are good for up to 160hp or so but beyond would need 45's.

Just throwing it out there but what about silvertop 20V itb's? It means converting to aftermarket ecu, fuel injection etc. but these have a 45mm opening which tapers to a 42mm throttle plate... more control over mid range fueling and alot more adaptable to engine mods later on depending how far you want to go

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

Bodger

Thanks

I've been pointed in that direction deano, just got the engine and agreed a deal to take the emerald k3 with it. I think it was running bike carbs before, but I think I'll look at the 20v itb's.

Does this sound like a plan?

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

That does indeed

Just to give you an idea of cost comparison:

Weber 40 Carbs £150ish second hand
    Carb to 4age manifold £130+vat from 105speed back in 2011

20V ST ITB's £160 posted from M11rf off this forum (just going by the ebay ad)
    20V - 16V manifold £145 posted from M11rf again.

Not much difference really

So you'd also need the standard 4age 16v top feed injectors which mount into the head and the fuel rail too. Run either standard FPR or aftermarket adjustable whatever suits.

Seeing as you've done a deal on the ecu, you'll need to sort the loom to run full management, and the injection fuel set up, fuel flow and return, high pressure pump, possibly swirl pot etc. So this is where the extra money is...

Not trying to persuade you at all by the way because I love the sound of a set of 40's!

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

Bodger

Thanks

Funny you should say that deano, because the engine has been offered with either the aftermarket ecu or twin 40's on manifold!

So which would you go for?

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Ah thats a difficult one to choose! But it all depends how far you want to go with this engine?

If i was staying relatively standard, maybe a set of cams but not going too much further I'd take the carbs add a hyperpak ignition system to convert the standard 4age dizzy which is just a trigger into a full blown distributor with ignition advance etc. Throw in a facet redtop pump and filter king pressure regulator to make sure it has juice and run with that, simple setup with old skool looks, the sound of carbs, no big changes to the fuel system so its easy on the wallet too.

If I was to go for a serious engine and take things to the limit there is no doubt i would take the management, tighter control over the fuelling to ensure maximum output throughout the rev range. Easily adaptable to engine upgrades, but has the associated hassle of changing to an injection setup, sourcing ITB's and manifolds etc.

But if you took the management it wouldnt matter what way you go because it can support either setup, meaning you could take the time to weigh up the pros and cons of running each setup before deciding which route to take

I cant make the decision for you but my choice would be the management, simply because it can be adapted to suit either route so gives a good starting point to build from.

HTH

+ Reply to Thread