User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duratec Throttle Bodies (on the cheap)

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Duratec Throttle Bodies (on the cheap)

Hi All,

I was originally going to use carbs on my duratec conversion but am starting to think more and more that throttle bodies would be a better option. I wondered if anyone would be able to give some advice about what I could use/reuse - bearing in mind the best way to keep the cost down.

I have a retroford DCOE manifold at the moment, so thought that maybe the jenvey DCOE throttle bodies might be an option. I also have the original injection system from the duratec engine - can I reuse the injectors, fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator? For instance will the standard injectors fit the jenvey bodies? The engine is in standard form and I would like to see anywhere between 180-190bhp from it. I think the original injectors are 180cc - are these good upto 200hp? Also, I think the original fuel rail/regulator is 3bar - will this flow enough fuel for what I want to do? Please correct me or add any relevant information.

Obviously I would need a ECU, senders, loom and linkage on top of the above - any bang for buck options would be nicve to hear. Obviously there is Megasquirt, OMEX, Emerald etc, but I would be interested to hear what it really cost including loom etc, as these costs can be hidden a bit sometimes.

I'm looking to spend about 1000-1300quid - do you think its doable?
    Thanks guys.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Duratec Throttle Bodies (on the cheap)

if you have a manifold these look good from australia they do different sizes the 48 would be overkill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48mm-ITB-T...item3f2a533498

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Thanks Darbo, they do look interesting. Am I right to assume that the existing injector holes (in the head) and fuel rail would be expected to be used with that sort of kit?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Hi Nathan,

Yes the standard injectors will fit the Jenvey ITBs. The one thing I found with mine though is to be wary of the longer length of the injectors (EV6 body type Bosch refers to them as) as the fuel rail may foul an air filter back plate if you choose to fit one. The pic below shows the jenvey fuel rail with the spacers fitted which you need to use for the longer body injectors. OK if you want to run filter socks, but not a proper air filter or box. I ended up going the short body pico injectors in order to run an air box.

There is no mechanical fuel pressure regulator on the standard setup. You'll see there is no return fuel line on the standard fuel rail. The fuel pressure is controlled electronically by the ECU, probably via the fuel pump I guess.

The standard injector on my 2008 duratec was bosch part number 0280156154. That might help you find the exact flow specs on the net. I've read some forums suggesting 180hp, but duty cycle might be a bit marginal at that level of flow. There are fairly affordable bosch alternatives you can pick and choose for suitable flow requirements. http://www.bosch.com.au/car_parts/en...linjectors.pdf
    One option would be to work out which model car uses the particular bosch injector and if the model is a common one you could get them cheap from the wreckers!

Click image for larger version Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	163 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	66744

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

my 2.3 duratecs running the standard fuel rail and injector position with gsxr bodies
    just using a bosch white giant injector
    but i could have probable used the std injectors as my power wont be 200bhp i doubt anyway
    ive moded the fuel rail for a std impreza fuel pressure reg as they only have a a valve in for fuel pulses as standard
    just left the pulse valve in place
    a std fuel pressure reg is better more reliable than some ebay special Chinese ping tong affair taking the lucky dip raffle as to fuel pressure stability

imho

+ Reply to Thread