TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

Paypal gift

this is the wrong section for this but thats deliberate, its to make sure everyone reads it

when buying something unless your are 100% sure you can trust someone DO NOT GIFT a paypal payment, if they do the dirty on you you will not get your money back.

sometimes like me sellers say they prefer not to pay fees, or ask for extra to cover them but IF a seller insists on payment as a gift, WALK AWAY, you are likely to get burned. any genuine seller would be willing to come to an agreement over fees.

unfortunately there is next to nothing the site can do if you get burned

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

World Champion Decade Plus User alladdin's Avatar

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks
    The problem these days Graham is that unscrupulous persons that are buyers can use PayPal to scam also. It's so heavily loaded towards buyer.
    It's a dodgy old world
    Last edited by alladdin; 01-02-2014 at 10:23.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Re: Paypal gift

And it's because of the above that I will only accept PP by gift. I accept it's a buyer's prerogative not to pay that way if they don't wish to, and also that I may lose a sale because of it, but so be it.

TURBOSPORT SPONSOR Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    Turbosport Administrator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 2,250 Posts

the whole point is everyone has to think about it and weigh up the pros and cons and think about what they are doing before they send the money.

although not through pay pal i got my fingers burned twice last year, the first guy lives about 2 miles away and i think knowingly sold me something which was actually scrap, he was well known and respected on certain forums, but it seems not to be trusted after all. i lost a good few quid on that deal, he wouldnt even refund me a token gesture, from what was a considerable sum of money.

the second was a lot further away and i knew i was taking a bit of a risk with he sold me a block without any caps but promised to send them on, you would of put money on him being totally honest, so i only held back a bit of the payment i was lucky i found a set of caps that were close enough fit to line bore to a perfect fit, so i just about got out of trouble on that one.

the other side of the coin is a chap in new zealand, transferred 7.5K directly into my bank account to have stuff shipped half way round the world.

the problem with forums is we become very matey with each other, and often end up often trusting people we don't know far more than those we do know, im sure we all have mates that might be very nice but couldnt actually trust with a £10 loan, but over the internet suddenly that same person becomes trusted to send goods worth many times £10.

whatever you do think about it first, and if it goes wrong, then sorry but there isnt really anything we as a site can do other than some bad pr for them

Pole Position Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Administrator

Thanks

When I sell things I too want to get paid by PayPal as a gift.
    But when the buyer wants to pay ALL the extra costs involved I am happy to get payment the normal way.
    If I sell some carb-jets for a fiver, postage in a jiffybag is 1 Euro. But if I get payment the normal way I need to send the same jets as a parcel with tracktrace and signed for delivery just to cover myself in case fraud; Postage for that is almost 15 Euro!

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    the whole point is everyone has to think about it and weigh up the pros and cons and think about what they are doing before they send the money.

although not through pay pal i got my fingers burned twice last year, the first guy lives about 2 miles away and i think knowingly sold me something which was actually scrap, he was well known and respected on certain forums, but it seems not to be trusted after all. i lost a good few quid on that deal, he wouldnt even refund me a token gesture, from what was a considerable sum of money.

the second was a lot further away and i knew i was taking a bit of a risk with he sold me a block without any caps but promised to send them on, you would of put money on him being totally honest, so i only held back a bit of the payment i was lucky i found a set of caps that were close enough fit to line bore to a perfect fit, so i just about got out of trouble on that one.

the other side of the coin is a chap in new zealand, transferred 7.5K directly into my bank account to have stuff shipped half way round the world.

the problem with forums is we become very matey with each other, and often end up often trusting people we don't know far more than those we do know, im sure we all have mates that might be very nice but couldnt actually trust with a £10 loan, but over the internet suddenly that same person becomes trusted to send goods worth many times £10.

whatever you do think about it first, and if it goes wrong, then sorry but there isnt really anything we as a site can do other than some bad pr for them
    That's fair enough Graham but in the other thread on the subject it is stated:

Demanding 'Gift' payment is not allowed, you must accept a normal Paypal Payment but asking for fees to be added is allowed.
    Which implies that anyone's who asks for payment by Gift will have their ad deleted? Isn't it up to the buyer and seller to agree how they choose to do the deal ?

Remember the camper......? Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

If you both wish to go ahead using a gifted payment you may.
    You may not however demand payment by gift if the buyer wishes to cover the costs.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mk1matt View Post
    If you both wish to go ahead using a gifted payment you may.
    You may not however demand payment by gift if the buyer wishes to cover the costs.
    That doesn't work if u think about it matt.
    Your suggesting a buyer can dictate terms.
    Would a better idea be to have an info statement / warning that must be used in all adds asking for or offering option of pp gift ?

Bit like a gov health warning.
    Last edited by alladdin; 02-02-2014 at 13:31.

Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

If your selling something and have requested gift payment and I say I'll pay you what you are asking but I will cover the fees the only reason you would have to say no i want it gifted is that you have no intention of sending me something in the first place???
    If you come across someone who will not allow you to pay the fees I would advise you to walk away. Either that or don't winge to admin when it goes wrong.
    Apart from advise you there is nothing else we can do about it.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

If your selling something and have requested gift payment and I say I'll pay you what you are asking but I will cover the fees the only reason you would have to say no i want it gifted is that you have no intention of sending me something in the first place???
    Not so, read above posts.

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

If you come across someone who will not allow you to pay the fees I would advise you to walk away. Either that or don't winge to admin when it goes wrong.
    I fully agree.

Racer Decade Plus User

Thanks

Equally as a seller, one could argue that a possible reason a buyer would insist on paying extra to cover the fees is so he/she can make a false claim to paypal to get their money back and keep said goods too.

The answer for me is simple: Sorry, I no longer accept paypal due to the number of dishonest buyers who use it.

Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Montyman View Post
    Equally as a seller, one could argue that a possible reason a buyer would insist on paying extra to cover the fees is so he/she can make a false claim to paypal to get their money back and keep said goods too.

The answer for me is simple: Sorry, I no longer accept paypal due to the number of dishonest buyers who use it.

Well you are well within your rights to not accept PayPal as a payment method at all

+ Reply to Thread