User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Latest news on ST170 Focus

What curb ;-) Decade Plus User FF_Mark's Avatar

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Latest news on ST170 Focus

"Refined" and "understated" will be two words to describe the latest and sportiest Ford Focus yet, the ST170, when it goes on sale in the UK from March 2002, priced from £15,995 on-the-road.

Available initially as a three- or five-door, with an estate to follow later in the summer, the Ford Focus ST170 represents the most significant development to date in the Ford Focus range.

At its heart is a tuned version of the 130PS 2.0-litre Ford Focus Duratec engine, producing 170PS at 7000rpm and 195Nm of torque from 2500rpm. Transmitted through a Durashift six-speed manual gearbox, this is sufficient to allow the Ford Focus ST170 to achieve 0-62mph in 8.2 seconds and a top speed of 133mph.

But it is the more refined driving experience that makes the Ford Focus ST170 special and is meeting the desires of customers.

"Overall, approximately 25 per cent of UK dealer sales in the small family car segment last year were performance or sporting derivatives so, as a performance version of UK's best selling car, the Ford Focus ST170 is a very important car", explains Andy Barratt, brand manager for medium cars, Ford Britain.

Refined Performance
    "With the Ford Focus, we couldn't ask for a better foundation for a performance vehicle", said Steve Brenton, Ford of Europe's manager of Special Vehicle Engineering (SVE), which developed the ST170. "The result is a highly balanced performance car that is exciting to drive, but refined, understated and practical to own."

The 170PS 2.0-litre Duratec ST engine has been developed from the standard 130PS 2.0-litre Ford Focus engine with several new features, including:

· New, high-flow aluminium cylinder head with larger inlet valves and higher lift intake and exhaust camshafts for higher peak rpm levels

· Continuously variable intake valve timing

· High compression, cast-aluminium pistons and forged steel connecting rods

· Dual mass flywheel

· New dual state intake (DSI) manifold, using long runners for low-end torque and shorter runners for higher peak power outputs

· Larger bore free-flowing stainless steel exhaust system, tuned for enhanced performance sound.

Such enhancements mean a higher maximum power, but more importantly, 85 per cent of the Duratec ST's 195Nm of torque available from just 2200rpm, giving a useable, strong performance feel.

These enhancements are only part of the story: the Ford Focus ST170 driving experience also benefits from larger brakes (300mm ventilated front discs; 258mm rear) with unique calipers and standard ABS/traction control, plus uprated suspension including new springs and dampers and front lower control arms. SVE engineers also increased spring rates, fitted larger stabilizer bars and revised the standard car's power steering gearing to provide the right combination of precise handling and compliant ride.

"ST170's performance feel is unmistakable", concludes Steve Brenton. "It's responsiveness to driver inputs, stopping power and road-holding abilities combine with its engine performance to give a total performance car package."

Unique, subtle styling
    The Ford Focus ST170 also has an unmistakable, but understated, road presence. 17-inch, multi-spoke alloy wheels with 215/45R17 tyres are the greatest visual distinction, supported by a bolder honeycomb grille, body-coloured side mouldings and projector-style fog lamps.

In the driver environment, the differences are more apparent, with unique silver finished sporting instrumentation, including oil temperature and pressure gauge and a 7,300rpm redline tachometer. Aluminium pedals, fully adjustable half leather sports seats, unique gear lever, air-conditioning, four airbags and in-dash six-CD autochanger are all included as standard to complete the exclusive cabin.

An optional custom pack is available offering top-of-the-range 9006 audio system, metallic paint and heated, full leather Recaro seats at a cost of £2000. Other options are ESP and a rear tailgate spoiler.

Concludes Andy Barratt: "Focus ST170 represents refined performance, accessible value and practicality for everyday use. We're giving customers what they've asked for and reinforcing our commitment to excellent driving quality in a dependable and contempary package."

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Latest news on ST170 Focus

so not as fast as the civic type R but will look nicer !!!

Mechanic

Thanks

Marketing waffle - looks like Andy's jumped over to the "lets make a mass produced "warm" hatch" bandwagon, rather than concertration on the Focus RS.
    I think Ford have well and truley missed the boat with the continued delays in launching the RS, if indeed it ever gets launched. By the time it does, there'll be other similarly priced hot hatches out there and Ford will have lost the competetive edge. They should shelve the RS until the new model Focus is launched and the hit the streets with a fire breathing RS Cosworth, 4wd and 300+bhp. The current guestimates on the RS is 6.5 sec 0-60 (but no doubt only in ideal conditions - more like 7.5 to the average driver) 217 bhp, top end limited to 140 - all makes the Scoobie a better car, and it has 4wd!!

I have a deposit down on the RS, but in all likelihood am considering cancelling my order (not likely to be able to afford it now, and the wait is just ridiculous)

No doubt the ST will be good, but 8.3sec out of 167bhp - come on, that's pitiful - should have been in the low 7's to be a winner!!!

I'll stick to my MKII and still manage to piss all over the ST and if the RS is ever launched give it a hard time trying to shake me off its tail.

CheeRS

Per

Pit Crew Decade Plus User Magrah's Avatar

Thanks

What power will the RS Focus have, it's 200+ isn't it? i think the ST is just a stop gap between standard and the RS Focus.

Going of the subject a little, anybody seen the 3 litre Clio? Saw one for the first time on the road over the weekend, bit of a mean motor!

Management Team Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Dont know if he has brought one but a mate of mine had one on his drive in Orpington this weekend (the Clio that is).

Pit Crew Decade Plus User Magrah's Avatar

Thanks

Err Clint this was in Orpington! I was carpet hunting at time, wasn't silver was it?

World Champion Decade Plus User 2quick4u's Avatar
    My Race Car
    Thanks

Refined and understated

We want leary and noisy and fun

Bring on the RS or better still a Cossie version

Pit Crew Decade Plus User

Thanks

Don't know if anyone is interested, but Auto Europ are taking orders for ST170s in silver/black with a/c for £12,750.

Bodger

Thanks

The performance and top speed is the same as S2 which has a 0-60 = 8.2 secs - max speed= 130 mph.

But the " Subtle " styling is the biggest load of cr@p i have ever seen, they are trying the BMW route where they make fast cars which dont " look " fast, they just look BORING

But with BMWs you know you are getting fast car i.e. BMW 325i sport etc.

The Puma was a different kettle of fish as that looked like a fast car and was fast (1.7 version)

The five door (Orion replacement) looks better as at least it has a ass and you can put a decent tail spoiler on it, the 3 door " baby " estate ........... YUCK.

At least it will keep the XR boys happy as at last they have a new XR3i which can keep up with Ford RS cars LOL

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User Hugh's Avatar

Thanks

Well, it goes against what everyone is saying here but I'm looking forward to it.
    The Focus has a superb chassis that is just crying out to be abused, and whilst the ST might not be the most outrageous bit of kit, for daily use it will keep a smile on my face, and I'll still be able to look forward to driving my cossie at the weekends. Once the Focus cossie comes out and proves reliability etc.. I'll then upgrade to one of them.

It is true to say the RS is a complete F-up though, if they hadn't tried to take the cost cutting route and let some professionals on it then the whole melted piston issue would have just been a blip...

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User Hugh's Avatar

Thanks

Continuing on with my excitment for this car, driving to work up the M1 this morning I saw 2 car transporters with ST's on. At least I think they were, I was "progressing with pace" so only caught a glimpse of the badge!
    Whilst at work I phoned my local Ford dealership on northampton and was told that they had limited supplies of the new brochure. I popped in on my way home and now have one, although there is nothing in it I didn't already know.

I should be test driving one in the comming weeks just to confirm that I do want it then the order will be in place.

It may be the XR3 of the 2000's but that was a good car in its day.

Game On!

+ Reply to Thread