User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Virgin Biker

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User Hugh's Avatar

Thanks

Virgin Biker

Hello all,
    I finally did my CBT last year and 8 of the 9 guys in the 'playground' who were watching and teaching us asked me how long I'd been riding for and were absolutely stunned when I said that I had never been on a bike before that day.

From this I have assumed that I must be relatively good and have decided to investigate progressing further. At the time I got all excited and went out and did £600 on Heine & Gericke gore-tex leathers. Since then I have lost my bottle though.

I live in Northampton and am thinking I should investigate doing the direct access. Has anyone got any suggestions or can recommend anyone?

Also what bike would you all recommend. I'm thinking of a CBR600 but have been told by some that it is far too big for a first bike, but I thought it would be good as it seems to be such an all-rounder.

The last question is safety. Unfortunately I know of a lot of people who have been injured or worse on a bike. I know a lot of it is down to rider ability but is there any where to go like track days, where I could really relax and just enjoy the ride?

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Cheers
    Hugh

************** Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: Virgin Biker

I did a track day at Donno on CBR 600's a couple of years ago.I've been riding big bikes for over 13yrs and believe me when you come away from a track day your confidence in you and your bikes ability is severly increased.That's not to say you take more risks but I just felt alot more confident in what my bike could do,even tho I didn't do the track day on my own bike.
    I don't have the number for them but it's the Ron Haslam racing school at Donnington.Well worth a call
    As for your first bike .. the main consideration after safety is insurance.It won't be cheap whatever your first bike is,but a 400cc machine should be more than enuff for getting at least a years NCB to start with.Nothing wrong with getting an import cos there are always people like yourself wanting it for the same reason next year when you wanna go large.Plenty of things to choose from too like CBR/ZZR/FZR/NSR ..etc (basically anything with an R in it )
    HTH Hugh and ride safely m8

Roland Rat Decade Plus User

Thanks

Go for it mate! Tracks are good for building up confidence, but only after you get road sense on a bike. There is a big difference between leaning over a bit and making decent progress on a bend. I reckon give it at least six months before doing one. I reckon for a first bike a kh 350 would be good to learn on, or maybe and rg500 gamma! Only joking a 400 would be a good bet, avoid rvf400 fooking expensive to run and insure, an nc30 is a good bike or a gsxr 400 excellent little screamer. But if you are tall like me forget em (6 foot 1), be very uncomfortable. I tried my mates zxr400 (one of the biggest physical 400`s)and felt very strange on it. Another good choice is a 600 Bandit. I know its a bit retro and cheap but they do handle ok and with a (160 standard)170 back you can get bt56ss or pilot sports (nice and sticky). Whatever you do just enjoy yourself. Watch some people you meet though, they will invite you on a rideout and leave you standing just to show off! Always go at the pace you feel ok with. I am trying to get the lads on here to do a ride out at some point, clint, 2quick4u(mark), rick, big dave, Rob (mr hoarder), gmac? I will be restricted on top end cause my Fireblade is streetfightered (150 for 5 mins hurts!).

Racer Decade Plus User Mr_Hoarder's Avatar

Thanks

Hugh,
    I have been riding since 1985 and have recently (last summer) done a Honda "Motorcycle Appreciation Course" , this was on special offer at £100 when you buy a new Honda ( I bought a CBR1100 Superblackbird ) and this course was fantastic, the instructors are all ex-police riders (don't let that put you off ) and the course is run over 2 days , with no more than 2 trainees to every instructor ( mine was done on a one to one basis) and it really instills a feeling of confidence in you. Overtaking and positioning for maxiumum visibility and safe cornering are the main points covered. But with the emphasis on high speed riding, we went out from Brentwood at 9am and covered 300 miles in the first day, ending up in Northamptonshire for lunch !
    I would strongly recommend anyone who rides a motorbike to do this course.

Carl, I am up for a ride out, I don't suppose Clint will go though, as his bike seems to be for display purposes only

Thanks

yep agree with you there Rob, my mates a Bike copper in the Met and trains the new bike coppers. Hes the only one in the met that can wheelie the Pan! His old bike had holes in the exhaust and the pegs wer nearly a wedge due to spirited riding. Rides a gsx1100 fighter and is a nutter.

Clint get that srad out mate! You gonna do the Mayday run Rob?

Thanks

Thanks Guy, Carl and Rob.
    I am now keen to press on with it and will book myself on a course within the next couple of months. I will also get onto an advanced riding course as well, I like the idea of touring the country whilst learning how to be fast+safe.

When I've finally got myself sorted I'd love to get involved in regular bike meets.

I take it that Clint'll need a duster to find his?!

Cheers All,
    Hugh

Drive by Flasher Decade Plus User Sharon's Avatar

Thanks

Need more than a duster How about a JCB

N.E. (TEESSIDE) (Dead center of the Universe)
    Thanks

Nice one m8. it allways nice to know new bikers are still out there. One ting tho. its 95% down to tossers in cars that take us out "Sorry m8 dint see you" .
    No matter How Good or experienced you get just think there ALL out to get ya an yall do allright. CBR 600 Are brill little bikes im 16st /6ft an they still go & handle well with me and all my camping gear (borrowed bike) BUT very fast for a 1st timer. How about a 600 Bandit not as barmy but still fit and a nice looking bike. whatever m8 "Ride Safe" & Join M.A.G.

TS Supporter Decade Plus User

Thanks

I did a 5 day direct access course through Metropolis a year and a half ago, cost about £550, but that was including the CBT. They start you off on Yamaha 125's for 3 days, then the next 2 days your on 600cc Yamaha Fazer's (good 1st bike!).

My 1st bike was a Suzuki GSX-R 750M, was abit rough around the edges but was plenty quick enough, and it was cheap, I would advise getting a old bike that doesn't cost too much for the 1st year, as you will have an "incident" in that 1st year, it probably won't even be your fault, f**k*g car driver "I didn't see you" will be the words you will hear

But don't let that put you off, just treat every other road user as a potential danger to you and you'll be on edge enough to avoid most danger!

Thanks

Hi all, i too have been thinking of getting a bike(as it would be cheaper to run than a car to work) but was looking at the saftey issue too....is the yamaha xv125 a good learner bike as i think i would prefere to be more upright than layed forward, if u see what i mean??-kev.

I like these .....

Thanks

I don't think that would be a good learner bike, you'll be sitting too far back and be too relaxed, i think that is more a cruiser, you'd be better off with a motorcross style bike for learning from scratch

Thanks

Thanks for the advice..

Thanks

last year i was 17 so my second road bike was a mito 125, it was a brilliant wee beginner bike, it gives u brilliant handling to get use to bike riding and can sit with 600's on the twisties, but don't forget to wave goodbye on the straights. but as said before the main risk is ppl in cars, thats why my mito ended up wrapped round the front of a passat with the usual "i didn't see him" . but personaly i think you would be better starting with a sports or trial bike instead of the cruiser style!! but thats just me

Management Team Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

I did a Direct Access course twice lol and passed both times no probs
    I Had my Gixxer on order and picked it up a couple of weeks later
    The funny thing was when I rang the insurance company and they said how long had I been riding I simply replied 2 the bird on the end of the phone said years I replied weeks lol £1200 lighter after that call

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Oh as for the bike used one of the trainers bikes then go and have some test rides and choose somthing that suits you sir

Thanks

ok iv had a rethink and have looked at the Gillera dna 125 or 180 as a first bike. I only need somthing to go to and from work for short journeys , would this be a good bike to start with??? What would insurance be like??? kev.

Example:

Thanks

not a bad wee run around, the only problem being they are twist and go bikes so not a lot of fun to be had with gears!! but good for commuting!

Thanks

It's game on!

I have agreed it with a couple of friends - we are all doing our CBT's in 2 1/2 weeks time. They all need to do it and as it's been a year I would like to do it again if nothing else as just as a refresher. Then, a few weeks after that (depends on a couple of things & people's holidays) it's onto the week long Direct Access course!
    Finally, once I have sold my ST in a few months I will acquire new baby:

Thanks

Wow! Some varying quotes here! I just did some quick ones online through Bennetts:

25 yr old, no no-claims, CBR 600 F (2000MY):
    FC = £2500
    TPF&T = £800
    TP = £350

I guess I'll be winging it for the first year then!

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I cant speak from experience Sapphy, cause i passed my test 25 years ago, but dont these courses teach you how to pass your test, rather than how to ride in the real world, i dont think there,s any substitute for experience, and maybe a CBR600 is a bit fast to get that experience on, no disrespect, you may be the next Micky Doohan, but maybe an Aprillia RS 250 is more like it.

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Good luck m8, remember you are there to learn and not have a laugh and you will sail through

Thanks

Bladerunner - I know exactly what you mean and I know you are right, but I don't want to buy one bike knowing I'll be replacing it after a while. I'm a terrible salesman!
    I like to think I have enough self control to only use all the power when I am ready, but I completely agree about experience, I say the very same thing for driving. I like to think that I do know my limits and as the CBR is meant to be a cracking all rounder it seemed like a good choice. I had a mate who passed his test and went straight onto a fireblade Now that I did (and do) think is too much but to his credit he has now been riding it for 3 years and not had a moment on it.

Thanks Clint

Thanks

good news mate, buy an rg500 gamma excellent learners bike

Thanks

Carl, do you mean one of these?

Looks like a natty piece of kit - but why the smilie? I guess it is a bit revvy and lively (95 pony's!)

Thanks

the thing ways sod all has a knife edge power band and is a complete animal 2 stroke! I was kinda joking! In all honesty a bandit 600/fazer 600/hornet 600 are excellent bikes for people who have just passed and still look good.

Thanks

Don't be a wuss Sapphy, get yer self a GSXR1000

Thanks

Thanks Carl, I shall have a look at them - I did suspect that the 500 might be a bit 'peaky'

Wes - I can see it now, at the lights, one slight 'over' crack of the throttle - the bike'll shoot off down the road at 80mph and I'll be still stood there John Wayne stylieee

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

I like your attitude Sapphy, i,m sure you will be fine with whatever you choose, on the road a well ridden sports 600 is a match for most bikes, as you say progress at your own pace, i would go for the 1200 bandit rather than the smaller model if this is the sort of bike you are considering , i think the insurance is,nt too bad on them and they have loads of potential for more power, ride safe.

Thanks

Thanks bladerunner, I really appreciate that.

I must admit I am so new to this that my ignorance would probably pain some people, but I hadn't looked past getting a 600 - that is pretty much my goal. The only time I would go any bigger was if I got a Harley, but I would only get one of those if I moved to america.

Once I have my licence and a several thousand miles biking experience I might look at bigger ones. It's like my cosworth - it was probably the 9th car I've owned and like I say to everyone, my favorite thing to do is drive - I love it. However, I now have respect for it and what consequences my actions may bring. If I got the cossie early on I would have done stupid things in it without really appreciating what it can do (e.g. oversteer) and therefore know how to deal with these things.

A good friend of mine and I reckon we can nowadays get into most cars and after 15mins of driving, would know the limits of the car and could drive it safely on them. The cossie took me well over 6 months before I got even slightly lairy in it. I know that just because the power is there doesn't mean you can instantly use it - which is why I am comfortable with aiming at a slightly larger bike.

I will look into the bikes both you and carl refer to as as I say I am a complete novice and will gladly look into whatever more experienced people recommend

Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator
    My Race Car
    My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    My 3rd Project
    Thanks

Sapphy I am thinking seriously of selling my 1999 GSXR750WX 2000miles on the clock absolutly mint condition only mods are 750 stickers removed braided brake hoses and an expensive tuned motor

mmmm first bike tuned motor... ok then prehaps not

Thanks

i hope u r selling cause you are gonna buy the new busa clint!

Thanks

Mmmmmmmmmm.........

Thanks

Very soon!

Thanks

Oh Deeeaarrrrrrr

Thanks

It's alright Rick - I have a licence for those legs!

Thanks

Sokay m8. Mine are a pair of 007s

Thanks

LOL!!

A slight delay but the CBT is confirmed for the 11th August. I'll get some piccies just so you guy's can remenisce about the time that you sat yourselves on a bike that sloooooow! :

+ Reply to Thread