User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T5 Hydraulic Clutch - Which one?

My 1st Project
    Thanks

T5 Hydraulic Clutch - Which one?

I need to fit a concentric hydaulic clutch release for a Cosworth T5 box. I've seen ones that require the T5 nose to be cut down, and ones that replace the nose altogether. Most use shims, but there's one with a threaded shaft for adjustment. All seem to use the same hydaulic unit with green bellows. I've heard mixed reliability stories about this particular unit.

Does anyone have any advice about which one to buy, and any fitting tips/advice?

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

Re: T5 Hydraulic Clutch - Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by beeRS View Post
    I need to fit a concentric hydaulic clutch release for a Cosworth T5 box. I've seen ones that require the T5 nose to be cut down, and ones that replace the nose altogether. Most use shims, but there's one with a threaded shaft for adjustment. All seem to use the same hydaulic unit with green bellows. I've heard mixed reliability stories about this particular unit.

Does anyone have any advice about which one to buy, and any fitting tips/advice?
    Not a T5,I had the threaded type nose cone on a MT75 Cosworth 4x4 gearbox. It was operating an AP twin paddle clutch, it gave no trouble whatsoever. I would imagine the biggest problem’s just getting the initial setting for throw correct.

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeRS View Post

I bought one of them kits from Ebay, they are not the best and seen lots of issues, there are no instructions at all and the feed and bleed lines are not in any way plug and play.

I went with the Tilton one, it is that one that has the adjustable threaded collar, much easier to work with and it comes with instructions ! all you need is a gap between the bearing face and the pressure plate. With the Ebay / Mondeo one it is spring loaded and only works in a certain range, believe this is where a lot fail as they go "over range"

The only issue i had is the collar supplied for the T5 did not fit over my nose, it was too big, called up competition supplies and they sent me one with a smaller diameter that i bored out to suite. The lines were easy to work with, will try and get some photos.

All in all a better option than the Mondeo one sold by others

I will try and get some photos up
    Last edited by Miniliteman; 29-09-2023 at 22:07.

Racer Decade Plus User Forest_rallying's Avatar

Thanks

I think one of the most difficult things to do regarding reliability is getting the free play gap correct between the clutch plate and bearing face, I think 4 to 5mm springs to mind. There’s an article in Classic Ford somewhere on the Net that explains everything, however that’s on a Type 9 box but it’s all the same principle. Once installed correctly I don’t think you should have any issues.

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prox View Post
    I bought one of them kits from Ebay, they are not the best and seen lots of issues, there are no instructions at all and the feed and bleed lines are not in any way plug and play.

I went with the Tilton one, it is that one that has the adjustable threaded collar, much easier to work with and it comes with instructions ! all you need is a gap between the bearing face and the pressure plate. With the Ebay / Mondeo one it is spring loaded and only works in a certain range, believe this is where a lot fail as they go "over range"

The only issue i had is the collar supplied for the T5 did not fit over my nose, it was too big, called up competition supplies and they sent me one with a smaller diameter that i bored out to suite. The lines were easy to work with, will try and get some photos.

All in all a better option than the Mondeo one sold by others

I will try and get some photos up
    Is the Tilton one you are refering to this one ?

It looks like a good option. The one they recommend for a T5 has a sleeve with internal diameter os 1.375" (35mm), but the nose on my Cosworth T5 is 34mm. I don't think the 1mm difference would be an issue. Was the one you got from Competition Supplies just 1mm bigger? Any pics of the Tilton one you fitted would be welcome.

+ Reply to Thread