+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi-Spec brakes

Thanks

Hi-Spec brakes

Any good?

Bodger

Thanks

Re: Hi-Spec brakes

A friend of mine had some 300mm Hi Spec ones on his Cav GSI - looked good behind 17s and worked ten times better than the standard kit. Cheap compared to APs and Brembos etc.

My Calibra and his Cav are too big for heavy work on the tichy 256mm jobs that Vaux supply them with.

I had standard sized Black diamond combis (drills and grooved) for 2 months before I noticed every single cross drill hole has a hairline crack coming off them. then a day or two later one side cracked completely through. pants utter pants. Never again.

Give them a try and let us know how you get on. I want a set but haven't got round to deciding what to get, and the car may be up for sale / is up for sale, so may save my money.

cheers
    Si

Part of the furniture Decade Plus User Hugh's Avatar

Thanks

I've heard some scary stories about Hi-Spec calipers, but nothing concrete. Personally I'm a Brembo / AP / Willwood man. Race proven technology

Thanks

If Carslberg made brakes they would probably be called 'AP'

Thanks

PMSL

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

I may have went a bit over the top but I bought wilwood superlite calipers + 300mm discs for my Mk4 escy. I'm bit concerned though cos the discs are not rotating on the same center as the hub. Should i just hold them gently in the lathe and center them with the bells loose to try to get them right or just rotate them on the bell till they're near enough? - Anyone. Other than that, the calipers seem to be rock solid quality.

TS Supporter Decade Plus User

Thanks

I'd send them back m8 and tell them to sort it, you shouldn't have to do anything to them.

When i originally bought a hi spec brake kit, i was most shocked at what i received, the calipers where perfect, as they were made by Wilwood, but the rest of the kit was The discs were machined down from a used pair of indy car discs (and poorly machined at that) and the discs didn't even fit on the bells, the mounting holes were out of allignment! I sent the whole lot back, saved some more pennies and bought an AP kit, and it all fitted perfectly, this is a case of you get what you pay for

Thanks

this is a case of you get what you pay for
    And you can never spend enough on your brakes IMHO.

Bodger

Thanks

I can only add that the two sets of 300mm brake kits i've bought from Hi Spec have been very good, easy to fit and most importantly, reliable.I have used AP in the past and Hi Spec brakes are just as good.
    The service is good too.
    Can only speak as I find.

Tom

Spanner Monkey

Thanks

i ordered rear grooved discs for my sapphire2wd, they didnt turn up after a week so i called them up, they had lost my order, and phone number. when they eventually turned up a month later they seem to be fine, really tuck the back end under with EBC greens. i have heard bad about the EBC pads though, i have new std disks and they are warped, Josh at GGR has Alcon6 with Greens and his have warped, J with mk5 fiesta zetec has drilled&grooved and Greens and his are warped too, coincidence? all different disks but same pads.

Thanks

Nothing but good things on my series 2. They have been on for nearly three years and have been spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread