User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supercharging 4age

Bodger

Thanks

Supercharging 4age

Gents,

Been thinking lately of supercharging a 4age, I currently have a 16v under the bonnet and was toying with the idea of supercharging either that unit or upgrade to a 20v. I know that it would be easier to probably buy a 4agze to start with, but fancy putting on an Eaton unit.

Thought I would open this up to the floor for some suggestions, pro’s and con’s to either or.

Many Thanks

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

Re: Supercharging 4age

If it was me I would get a set of new 81.5mm OEM 4agze pistons (about £300 landed) and drop them into the 16v giving you an instant 8.9:1 compression ratio, assuming its a late 16v block (7 ribs) with late 16v rods and you arp'd the bottom end should be good for easy 300bhp boosted. With a standard gze supercharger with a smaller drive pulley and a decent set of cams you could achieve about 200bhp with a load more low down torque than a 20v. So with something producing more boost you'll be anything upwards of 200 with a big port head, headwork and some nice cams!

Or you could bolt a turbo on and go bhp crazy

HTH!

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

Pole Position Decade Plus User M11rf's Avatar

Thanks

There is a guy over here who has blue top 16v (RWD) motor... I think compression ratio is 9.6.1 as standard.
    He whacked a turbo on the standard engine and it pulling 250bhp no problems. Obviously he has bigger injectors and aftermarket ECU too...

Bodger

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback lads,

I'm happy to stay away from turbo if I'm honest, just love the sound of a supercharger. I'd seen a hks supercharger set up on a 4ag and it got me thinking.

Was thinking of going for an eaton because of availability and something different. I have an aftermarket ecu running the itb's at the moment, so it guess that can be reprogrammed.

My motor is the 7-rib, and the pistons I guessed I would need to swap to lower compression.

Open to ideas,

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

I know what you mean, I run a 225bhp supercharged corolla (2005 t sport compressor), the supercharger whine is great but the instant throttle response is even better!

Having a quick scout about it sounds like your choices are the M45 or M62. M45 apparently is out of puff at 240bhp and the M62 will go beyond this quite happily, so it depends what you can lay your hands on and also what power you ultimately are looking for...

With itb's already on, have a look at sr20det gtir inlet plenums and use an adapter plate from SQ Engineering, this would allow you to run a boosted setup on the itb's already fitted! http://s-86.com/gtir_adapter_plate.php

Raw have managed to get the best part of 270bhp on a 20v silvertop with a rotrex C30-94 supercharger at 14psi with headwork, cams and exahust - http://www.dyno-plot.co.uk/dyno/dyno...abre-Heads.htm

Its a cracking idea and would definitely be my avenue of choice if I wasn't going for a balls out spec n/a 20v

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life.

Bodger

Thanks

Looked at those same chargers, think the m45 might be the one. I don't want much more over the 200 mark if I'm honest, love the sound and abit of poke, but don't want to go nuts...

Starting to look at parts, and was just thinking....would there need to be an inter cooler somewhere in the above setup?

My 1st Project
    My 2nd Project
    Thanks

M45 sounds like the right choice then

Regarding intercoolers, the 4agze ran one standard, so I would put one in. It will help with the charge temps as the faster you spin the charger the higher the charge temps will become.

+ Reply to Thread