User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP ERST cuttin out!

Thanks

HELP ERST cuttin out!

Right then... ive gota ESRT S2 with a power engineering blueprinted 1600, stage 2 head, hybird turbo, 5th injector kicking out 200bhp. Just recently the car seems to randomly cut out, mainly after about 20mins or more of driving when its warm, it coffs and splutters a bit, pops back and stalls. Usually after about 10 mins it starts again and sounds fine, thou sometimes it will start straight away. Now its gettin warm but not really hot, its not using and oil or water, and the water is bubbling on idle, thou there is a lot of bubbles it the header tank when u rev it from the return pipe off the thermostat housin thou its always done it... so i wrekon this it normal. Also the temp guage isnt connected thou i cant see this making a difference to how the car runs!
    I did notice a noise today thou when slowing down towards junctions in 1st and 2nd gear i could hear a knocking and tapping noise, but it only does it when u slow down and only in 1st and 2nd? could the starter motor be fauly? over heating and cuttin the engine out? but the starter motor always turns the engine over nice? or could it be a alternator/metering unit/fuel distributer? its not the fuel pump or relay coz ive changed them! or possibly a sensor? knock sensor etc? what should i do?

Moderator+ Decade Plus User
    Turbosport Subscriber
    Turbosport Moderator

My 1st Project
    Thanks

Re: HELP ERST cuttin out!

My bros cav gsi used to do that and i seem to remember it was the ignition module. Dont know if rst's have them (as i dont know much about them) but i would have thought so. If it has that would be where i would start, see if you can get hold of one from a breakers cheap.

World Champion Decade Plus User

Thanks

Sounds like the head gasket has gone.

Get the temp gauge connected.

Thanks

ive changed the ecu to a standard one, and it seems to be running fine... ive also connected the temp guage up and jammed the connection into the block so its gettin a reading of some kind at least.
    I noticed that the cold start valve and the solanoid for the amal valve wernt connected, so ive connected them up as well.
    With the standard ecu u cant boot it thou, when I try and give it full throttle something stops it from boosting properly and trys to cut the power... like the wastgate is shuttin early... but apart from that it runs ok.
    If the car was overheating would it just stop? the car has been gettin warm quick, thou it always has done, there are bubbles in the header tank when u rev it commuing from the return off the thermostat housing, but i thought this was normal!
    Il test the car later and go for a drive....
    cheers for the info....!
    and more ideas?

Thanks

The car does seem to be running hot... but im not convinced the head gasket it gone... i might take the head off and have a look thou! whats the best head gasket and head bolt set?

also how do ecu chips work? whats the best chip to get?

also the cars developed a really loud wining, spinny noise, it happens when u easy off towards junctions, when u drive normally with the power on its not there, on when ur off the throttle and slowing down! if i put the clutch in it stops! the noise is really loud thou!
    could it be the gearbox? clutch? abs? linkage?

Tyre Kicker

Thanks

Alright mate ....yeah about your problem....it seems as though ur having weird problems but these maybe problems that can be solved quite easily. I suggest u talk to someone at Burton Power or something or if u know of any deacent mechanics. question for u mate....... Do u know how i could get the wastegate to chudder on my turbo....at the moment it has a standard turbo, -31 actuator, performance tappets and is only knocking out 145 bhp..........any ideas? cheers mate and goodluck with the car.

TEL

Thanks

Right....

Ive sold the winning and scretching noises, my gearbox and linkage were knackered, bought a recon box from ford and hopefully gona get it in this weekend.

For the car cuttin out on me, i think ive narrowed it down to the coil, it had watery oil that appeared to be leeking, so ive ordered a group A cosworth coil to replace it.

Ive also replaced the actuator with a new garrett 31, and dumped the bleed valve, so hopefully it will hold more boost, coz i have noticed its been loosing more than usual.

Hot temp probs... i think it was a mix of the weather gettin warmer, more humid and me being overally critical about how hot it is. Im fittin an Act guage to it soon so il know how hot its gettin and if theres gona be a problem

Another thing i did find was after taking the turbo head sheild off, that the manifold had come loose from the turbo... the engine sounded loads nicer after i tightened them up.
    Im currently in the process of doing the gearbox, and replacing the abs belts, and bottom arms, hopefully il get the car on the road again in the next few days and c how it is!

Wastegate chatter...? ive got a stage 2 hybrid on mine, after taking the dump valve off, i can hear a little chatter, but compared to the dump valve noise, its sounds a little be crappy. Best thing to do would firstly be to check the actuators ok? what kinda boost you running? if your running standard boost then i dont think your really gona get much chatter, im running 18psi and i dont get a great deal...
    If you want more bhp, then either get a performance camor a hybrid turbo, and a 5th injector driver which should make a good standard engine kick out about 170ish, but if the engine is tired then its gona put loads of stress on it, and eventually go pop, then youve got the rebuild root of either a zvh or a cvh low comp set up.

+ Reply to Thread